• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upman Magnum 50

WD1979

Lord of the Netherworld
Test conditions
Place: Home
Event: Friday night smoke
Lighter: Gas Blue Flame
Cutter: Xikar
Drink: Malibu and Coke

Construction: 19 / 20 Draw: 20 / 20
Appearance: 20 / 20 Aroma (foot) 10 / 10
Smoke && ash: 10 / 10 Aroma (body) 10 / 10
Burn: 19 / 20 Aroma (head) 10 / 10

Rating (19.67/20)

The H. Upman Magnum 50 starts off with an earth, hay and slightly woody pre-draw.
The cigar looks great and very promising. It also doesn’t disappoint one bit.
Size and look are similar to the Cohiba Siglo VI also one of my favorites so this has something of a marker to live up to.
From the word go this cigar starts off good. The earth, hay and wood are still there and don’t really fade until well in to the 3/3.
The 1/3 is smooth tasty and very enjoyable it leaves the smoker wanting more.
HUpmanMagnum50004.jpg

Thankfully the 2/3 doesn’t disappoint as the cigar throws a milt spicy tone in the mix but remains smooth and very pleasant to smoke.
The cigar is burning perfectly unlike many other Cuban cigars. The draw is also flawless.
If it was any lighter it would be too light and one would no longer have the feeling that you are actually smoking something.
It could also get away with being a bit tighter but it isn’t and I’m glad it’s not.
HUpmanMagnum50005.jpg

In the 3/3 the cigar turns more spicy and clearly pushes the hay and wood to the background the earthy tone stays some what but the spice is now the predominant flavor of this truly exceptional smoke.
Unlike in some cigars the spice never becomes overwhelming and the other flavors stay present throughout.
HUpmanMagnum50002.jpg

This is a truly exceptional smoke and no humidor should be without one.
I believe that this cigar is also a smoke that can be enjoyed from novice to die hard cigar aficionado.
The only reason that this cigar doesn’t get full points from me is that I have on a rare occasion seen cigars that look slightly better and burn ever so slightly better that this one.
It is only by such a narrow margin though that if I could deduct half points I would but I can’t.
My final word on this is.

I wish I had more of these. I wish I had a box and not just one single left in my humidor…..

Cigar information
Brand: H. Upmann
Name: Magnum 50
Size: 160 mm / 50 standard rg

Tobacco information
Wrapper leaf: Cuba
Binder leaf: Cuba
Filler leaf: Cuba

Great review! I have a box sitting from Summer '08.

A local BOTL came over for a smoke and I decided gift him one and light another for myself.

Conditions were not right for a nice ISOM. Outside was too windy and we had burn issues and could not taste the certain nuances this particular cigar should provide.

I will have to go back to it and smoke it inside or during calmer weather.

Your review provides me something to look forward to. Thanks!

I know in my very. very limited expereinces...I've enjoyed that very stick, and will buy more in the future!!

Thanks for the review!! :cool:

Great review! I have a box sitting from Summer '08.

A local BOTL came over for a smoke and I decided gift him one and light another for myself.

Conditions were not right for a nice ISOM. Outside was too windy and we had burn issues and could not taste the certain nuances this particular cigar should provide.

I will have to go back to it and smoke it inside or during calmer weather.

Your review provides me something to look forward to. Thanks!

Its a shame that it was so windy you really have to savor this one. It doesn't have a huge punch so the flavors could get lost in the wind...

Thanks for the review looking forward to trying one!

awesome review. Been eyeing a cab of these for a while. Prolly have to do a box split with someone though, cause their pricey