• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Corona Major

CvilleYoungGun

Not so young gun anymore.
Based on a few reviews that I had seen here I added a box of these to an order I recently placed, did a little more research and came to a question. First off they looked so pretty in their own little tubos that I had to open one, and of course once you open the tube... You just have to smoke it right :cool: It was great and these are 05's

So I was doing some research on good short ISOMs, these seem to be the direction I am heading lately. I found out that some of the Coronas Major are not hand made, and I was wondering how I can tell if the ones I received are h/m or m/m.

In one thread I saw that the m/m are a 44 ring and the h/m are a 42. Is this true or verifiable? The ones I have are 42.

The bottom of the box has the Totalamente A Mano heat stamp. Does this mean that mine are?

I used the search feature and couldn't come up with any definite answers, so perhaps this thread will yield some results.

Thanks,

CYG

Since I don't have a copy of MRN's book, I go here for all questions. I hope it helps.

I overlooked the question in my reply...if it does say totalamente a mano, it is handmade.

Thanks for the link.

Answer? This seems to say that if the bottom of the box is stamped with Totalamente a mano then the box I have is as such.

At least I hope so. I guess it doesn't really matter since I enjoyed the first one so much but I would just like to know.

CYG

HUp Coronas major are either hand made or machine made according to MRN.
Both tubes in the picture look identical, so look at the box.
I have a box here that is hand made, 'Totalmento a mano'on the bottom, box code HGS ABR 004. The ring guage for the hand made are 42 x 5 1/8", while the machine made are 44 x 5 1/4" (source MRN).

I only buy the hand made version, but I've had both in my possession before. If you actually look at the cigars, it's VERY easy to tell which is hand made and machine made. The machine made is slightly smaller but what stands out more is the end of the cigar. It's rolled into sort of a cone shape whereas the hand made look more like any other hand made variety. I can dig up a picture to show you if you're interested - just send me an email.

I just finished a box of these and the it was from 02. It also says Totalmente a mano. But I can say this tho. Some of them was hand rolled and others was machine rolled. With my experience with these its a hit and miss. I noticed smoking different ones the ash and burn was completely different. Either way, not a bad little stick for the price of them. I had my first one back in 2000.

Mr Peat said:
I just finished a box of these and the it was from 02. It also says Totalmente a mano. But I can say this tho. Some of them was hand rolled and others was machine rolled. With my experience with these its a hit and miss. I noticed smoking different ones the ash and burn was completely different. Either way, not a bad little stick for the price of them. I had my first one back in 2000.
[snapback]282460[/snapback]​

How were some of them hand rolled and some machine made? That sounds VERY strange. I would question your vendor if you're getting a mixed variety (which will all due respect, I doubt you are). It just doesn't seem very plausible, if the box is sealed and is coming from a reputable source.

In my experience, I've never found any machine made for sale (probably because I wasn't looking for them and the vendors that I buy from don't sell them). However, I have gotten a few machine made from fellow BOTL and they are VERY easy to spot (as I mentioned in the post above). ;)

Okay, I found a couple pictures that I believe will help show one of the most obvious differences between the hand made and machine made varieties.

This is a picture of the hand made (the cap looks like any other hand made habanos):

hmupmann.jpg

Here is a picture of a machine made (notice how different the cap looks):

mmupmann.jpg

Although there are other differences between the hm and mm, the cap is the most obvious. Hope this helps. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, ok well I am now quite sure that these are the hand made version. Especially with the pics(thanks Orange), mine look just like the cap on the handmade version. Can't wait to see how these develop with age, they should be very enjoyable.

CYG

If it says Totalamente a mano on the bottom of the box they are the hand made versions.

theorangeman, I have never heard of anyone mixing hand mades and machine mades into the same box.Are the ones with the weird cap the same ring guage as the hand made one?

The Master said:
If it says Totalamente a mano on the bottom of the box they are the hand made versions.

theorangeman, I have never heard of anyone mixing hand mades and machine mades into the same box.Are the ones with the weird cap the same ring guage as the hand made one?
[snapback]282562[/snapback]​

I've never heard of that either which is why I bet Mr. Peat isn't correct in his assumption that this occurs, especially since he didn't indicate that the sticks looked any different, which they very much do (besides the difference in the cap).

The ones with the strange cap, which are the machine made variety, are slightly shorter in length (but I'm not sure about ring gauge - I don't recall). If you have both of these smokes in your possession, they are VERY easy to tell a part. If you don't have both in your posession, just look at the cap.

Well...The source is good. That I know. The caps on a couple have been pretty strange. Kinda like the 2nd picture. But then again, it could have just been a bad roller who was rushing them. I should have taken pictures of them but alas, I didnt think about that at the time. Like I said, I had a box with a box code of ECA Oct 02. Some of the sticks also seem a little smaller but not by much. Either way, they was a pretty decent smoke that I've enjoyed. My first one was in Dublin, Ireland in 2000/2001. Every time I goto the UK I tend to get these since they are in my budget.

I also found a couple with some blueish-green spot near the cap where the wrapper is finished at. :(