• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Monarcas 7" x 47

ironmike5

Shark In The Water
My regular Vegas BOTL's and I were about to light up a few Monarcas for our weekly HERF, and suddenly became awestruck by the question WWWD? So in a proper and highly educational review we figured it would be best to present a full dissection of the H. Upmann Monarca.

Light Sarcasm On
This was a recent arrival in my humi. Obtained from a trusted BOTL as part of a box split, this spent 4 days in transit from someplace quite far away. These sticks looked tremendous, and my fellow HERF buds were eager to indulge in the curious case of the Monarcas.

Prelight and Initial Stage
The cigar was well-constructed with a smooth and delicate, medium-shade wrapper. Veins were fine and the bunch was packed nicely without being too overfilled. I split the wrapper near the head while squeezing it to cut the cap. Oops. There was a small scent but no major flavor came to mind, once finally lit the burn was even and jam packed with taste notes of toffee and hints of vanilla.

My first impressions were of properly cured tobacco, lacking any green-ness or ammonia. Initial flavor notes were a characteristic toffee and a slight hint of vanilla. The flavor wasn't manipulated as the cigar burned through the fist third, and at times seemed to be trying to escape it's shell. Not unusual in other lines but typically not so present or forward in the other boxes of H. Upmann I've tried. Almost like a Epicure No. 2 turned down a few notches. The body was uncharacteristically light. Smoke volume was medium.

Later stage and Finish
We all got past halfway and were really not feeling the love. Body continued to be light and the richness and complexity I expected were not there. This stick was delivering on half of what it normally should. The vanilla bean became a little more pronounced, but the stick still did not warm up and soften as much as one would expect. We thought long and hard about snuffing it but became compelled to finish our journey. As we each approached the last third we had different experiences. Mine was a relative crack in the wrapper which would later explode casing most of the wrapper on one side to unravel.
gallery_2524_907_32076.jpg

Continuing to stay positive I strategically positioned the cigar band to impasse any further burn issues. As the cigar evened and came to a finish the wrapper and burn returned to the great construction I had experienced throughout most of the cigar. There was an increase in the complexity of flavor towards the end, however, it proved to little too late.
gallery_2524_907_7200.jpg

Now the authenticity of the cigar is for sure 100% real. Conformation from all three smokes (I will let the other two elaborate on at their individual convinces) indicated that the cigar was not up to the usually par expected of this tremendous line/manufacturer and suggests that perhaps they didn't have enough acclimation time in my humi or possibly went sick (not totally unheard of but rare for a stick with this degree of age).

Special Note: One of our BOTL's Monarca almost completely unraveled toward the nub so we threw all the disassembled wrapper, binder and filler leaves into a elegant flower garden underneath us.
gallery_2524_907_19804.jpg

Overall, we all agreed that the sticks had whimsical parts that were daring to be great but overall missed the mark. If this impromptu experiment is any indication, these sticks do have greatness in them, just not right now, and just not when this dry.

- Mikey

Light Sarcasm Off

WWWD? :sign:

- Mike

Hmmmm, where to start?

Nice review, Mike. I think that you captured the taste or distaste perfectly.

My initial observation was that the construction was fine pre-light and it lit nicely with a slight touch up at the beginning. The slight breeze we had, eliminated the inversion layer that has plagued our city the past week, leaving us with an upper-level ridge of high pressure dominating our weather. In less talkative verbage, it was a near perfect day to smoke. 70 degrees, slight breeze, and sunny. Sometimes we just need less verbage, but that's just me talking out loud.

First few puffs reminded me of the Epi #2. That quickly disappeared and did not come back until the 3" left mark. The boys commented on how quickly I was smoking it and the only thing I could respond with was that "I am trying to find the flavor".

After rinsing with water, my palate cleaned up a bit, removing the disgusting taste from the cigar that had accumulated. I was at the 4" mark when this happened. Nothing happening for flavor. This was disappointing as after hearing about the Tang Monarcas, we figured that these should at least be decent sticks.

Surprisingly, the cigar started to pick up the traditional Upmann flavor at the 3" mark. More surprising though was the disintigration of Mike's cigar and the flaking wrapper of my own. The cigar did begin to taste good, without the wrapper, I might add, as the wrapper was now gone. That was wierd, as I have never smoked a cigar without a wrapper.

We started to think WWWD? Give a review, for sure. Also, find ideas on how describe these cigars. My way to describe it is the Supertramp song, Take the Long Way Home. It took forever to get home to the flavor. It just wasn't worth it. We will not be buying a box of these in the future.

You guys rushed it :D !! I hate waiting for smokes to rest after their long journey. Even more I hate feeling like I "wasted" a cigar. Thanks for the review and hopefully, the remainder will be more to your liking.

Great review. Thats a bummer though. My Monarcas are smoking pretty well.

Great review. Thats a bummer though. My Monarcas are smoking pretty well.

I wondered if we were "tainted" from the beginning, expecting an amazing cigar, one that would blow us away. We decided that this wasn't the case. Oh well, Mike's going to put them away for a while and we will revisit them later.

Third party thoughts.

WWWD?

I enjoyed the prelight on mine and noted the nasel spice to be nill - just creamy and smooth. I felt this was starting off like most DC's or bigger sized sticks.

I waited for the cigar to come to life - but throughout noted the single dimentional aspect. Light, creamy, hints of caramel and vanilla - as previously noted.

Towards the end is where life kicked in with some nasel spice, and complexity, but were talking the final 2" here.

I would agree that I feel we had some high expectations - and just not met.
My song will be - Metallica - Sad but True....................

Glad we didn't invest in a box :cool: