• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Sir Winston vs. Monarcas

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
Hi Everyone,

While I've read reviews of both of these cigars, I was curious what everyone here thought of the two. Some places I've visited rate the Monarcas higher than the Sir Winstons, others visa versa. I know that the Sir Winston line is one of Upmann's flagship cigars, being that the size and shape are almost identical, is there really much of a difference between the two?

My question is rooted in the fact that I have the opportunity to get some Monarcas from 2001. I have no question as to weather they are legit, but it is also a nice chunk of change. For what it's worth, I did a search and found some good reviews here on CP about both cigars, but nothing comparing the two directly. Being quite new to cigars, especially CC's, I was hoping some of you would share your insight with me.

Thank you, and I hope I'm not out of line posting this before I've established myself a bit more!

Thanks again,

Dave,
You might want to do some research on the '01 Monarcas. Some of the boxes have a bit of a reputation for plugs.

Thanks for the responses! Is there much of a difference in the blend used in the cigars, or is the taste pretty much the same? I have read that cigars from that time frame are a bit of a gamble, but I have a couple boxes of other brands from that time and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Just looking to try some Upmanns and figured, why not get aged if they are available. :laugh:

I have had great success with boxes from 2000, and nearly uniform fantastic success with boxes from 2001. I got them all from a vendor I trust. I think if you stick with boxes with a Havana factory box codes (i.e., OSU, ECA, EAR, PEL), your chances are that much better.

To my palate, the SW and the Monarch are significantly different. The SW is much more refined, enthralling, you name it. The SW does show best with several years on it, so that's something to bear in mind. Unless the Monarchs had a ECA box code, I'd go for the SWs.

I would vote for current stock Sir Winnies and age them yourself so you know they have been stored properly. 08 has been a stellar year for Upmann's.

Thanks again. I think I'll go with the SW's. I've also been directed by a friend to try the Mag 46's as well. He said that was a great cigar even when young. Now, if I can just muster up the self control not to smoke them all when I get them...

Cheers!

I have yet to have a Monarca that was better than an equally aged SW. Can't go wrong with the SW, IMO.

The SW will probably require some down time, most people put them down for several years. A lot of people are going on-and-on about how great the '03s are right now. Both the 07s and '08s are by all accounts going to be great... These are generally regarded as one of the best large format cigars out there, myself included.

The Monarcas are always great in flavor –like always– get some from 2002 or later and you would be good to go. Some people prefer the more intense/brashness of the Monarca to the SW.

Had a box of '01 Monarcas and they were without a doubt the worst box I have ever had. Tight and tasteless. Stick with the Sir Winnies they have never disappoint.

Had a box of '01 Monarcas and they were without a doubt the worst box I have ever had. Tight and tasteless.

Same here. Mine was a JUL 01 box that was a complete waste of money. Any 00-'01 (and even some '02) boxes are so hit and miss, they're not worth it any price, IMO.

Dave,
You might want to do some research on the '01 Monarcas. Some of the boxes have a bit of a reputation for plugs.

Ditto. Had no less than 3 boxes of '01 Monarchs and the majority were plugged. All were ECA box codes, BTW.

I love them both but you need to be very patient with these cigars as they'll need alot of age to bring out the best in them. I just smoked a Monarcas out of a 2003 box that I have. Tasted a little flat until 2/3 thru the cigar so they are not ready for prime time yet.