• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Happy Birthday CIGARPASS! 10 YEARS!

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
CigarPass was started as a small trading community 10 years ago, and is today one of the most respected and well known cigar communities online. It's amazing how time flies. I couldn't be more proud of this site and the community that has formed - CP truly stands apart from all other online "forums". I've made many good friends on CP, and am very grateful to everyone who has made CP what it is today. Time has tested this community, and we continue to prevail and move in a positive direction each year.

Thank you all for making CP what it is...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST COMMUNITY AROUND!

Happy Birthday CigarPass!! Thank you Rod for everything you do. I've made some really great friends because of this website, and never thought that I would experience that on an online forum.

Here's to the next 10 years!! :thumbs:

Happy birthday CP. Thanks Rod for keeping it going all these years and to those who came before us who helped mold it into what it is and what it will be.

Happy Birthday CP! Thank you Rod for this great place! I've made some incredible friends here and I'm grateful for the knowledge I've gained since joining CP.

Happy birthday, CP. :thumbs:

I know I'd be in a much different place as far as cigars and friends were it not for this community and I appreciate it more and more each year.

Here's to another 10 years!
piratecheers.gif

Happy Birthday Cigarpass! Thank you Rod for you hard work and dedication to this site!

Hey Rod, something I've always wondered: What is the history of CP? In reading some of the first posts going back to Jan '01 it seems as if the reader is joining something already in progress. It seems as though as the group around then are familiar with each other and I haven't found a "Genesis thread", so to speak. Was their a precursor to the CP we can see and read about today that launched in 2000?

Woohoo! Happy Birthday, CP!

Well done, Rod!

Happy birthday CP! Thanks Rod! And thanks to all the BOTL who make this place awesome!

Happy Birthday CP!
Thanks Rod for your tenacity and for putting up with us.
When I describe this place to the world I say that CP has renewed my faith in the human race.

Happy Birthday, CigarPass! Thanks for the vision and all the work that goes on behind the scenes, Rod! I've met so many good folks and made friends with people I never would've crossed paths with if it weren't for this site. :thumbs:

Hey Rod, something I've always wondered: What is the history of CP? In reading some of the first posts going back to Jan '01 it seems as if the reader is joining something already in progress. It seems as though as the group around then are familiar with each other and I haven't found a "Genesis thread", so to speak. Was their a precursor to the CP we can see and read about today that launched in 2000?

To give a little history on CP...

I got into cigars in 98/99. I had joined several cigar boards and was disappointed to find that either they were over-moderated, or no moderation in the sense that the topic was rarely about cigars, rather bickering and fighting. Having a history of running various BBS's since the early 90's, I decided this was my chance to go all out and create an internet cigar forum. Having found a fairly new hobby (cigars), I wanted to combine my passion for both cigars and computers... I came up with CigarPass.

CP was a very simple website for people to trade cigars, period. I quickly determined that people who know nothing about one another cannot simply trade cigars; there must be a place for members to communicate openly and not just trade cigars. Relationships must first be built, so I added the lobby, and then over the years added several additional forum categories.

As more people found out about CP, our membership began to grow at a slow but steady rate. As more members came on-board, differences of opinions naturally began to occur. I had initiated a team of moderators in 2002, which only lasted about 48 hours, at which point I decided the community needed to moderate itself. In 2004 I decided to give the moderation tactic another chance, and quickly eliminated it for good. Unfortunately the power went to some peoples heads, and it was making the situation worse. Going self-moderated was the best option for this community. Over the years I solicited for feedback from members on how we can make CP better. I considered all ideas, and took the ones that made the most sense. I never wanted to add too many rules to CP, which is why we really have a very limited number of rules. Still to this day I invite everyone to send in their ideas and suggestions; I believe that in order for any community to be successful, you MUST listen to the community and constantly steer in the direction of success. My belief is that EVERY member OWNS a piece of CP. When you give everyone a piece of the pie, most tend to take a more thoughtful approach to how they behave. You cannot create ground rules for good... Like the old saying goes ... "you can't adjust the direction of the wind, but you can certainly adjust the sails".

The reason you won't see any posts from 2000 is simply because forum software was not so great back then. The software I setup was quite limited with what it could do, therefore I found myself changing software titles several times in 2000. In 2001 we switched to Ikonboard, which was a flat-file database. As forum software evolved, so did CP. We switched to Invision Power, and I couldn't be happier with their software. Unfortunately in order to move forward I had to start fresh, which is why you only see posts from Jan 2001 and on.

CP came up with many features and ideas in our early years. Unfortunately, the larger more established cigar communities copied many of our ideas. We were so small, there wasn't much we could do. Unfortunately they got the recognition of OUR creative ideas since they stole it from us (we only had a couple hundred members) and used it on their site (which had 2,000+ members). Some of you older guys might remember one event we came up with which was stolen by another forum (which today is holding on by a thread). In the early 2000's, Survivor Island was a big thing. CP came up with a game/event called Cigarvivor Island. Our idea was stolen and used at another forum, of which who took all of the credit. Over the years as new forums popped up, many have stolen our copyrighted work. Usually a polite email resolves that issue these days. Some of those forums sold out to the forum tycoon recently and no longer exist. ;)

You might also notice that somewhere between 2001-2005, there are chunks of data missing (even a couple months worth). I was using a shared hosting account, and the ISP's server crashed resulting in lost data (they're backups were old). In 2004 or so, I switched to another host. Unfortunately that "company" was run by a real freak who terminated our account as they said we were trading "feces". Turned out he took a quick glance at CP and saw a reference to "dog rockets", and shut us down. Quite lame to say the least. I was able to grab most of our data and move on. In 2006 I decided enough was enough, and went on to lease our own server where I had full control. Two main reasons for going dedicated: 1.) I wanted control of this site 2.) We needed the resources! Today, our server is located in Washington DC at the Equinix Data Center (one of the best and most secured DC's in the world).

There's a little history of CP just off the top of my head. Again, CP has and always will be a community effort. If I sat down, I could write a book about this site. Lots and lots of history here, and CP is proof that if you really want something to be successful, you can make it happen if you dedicate the time and passion towards it.

Happy birthington CP! Thanks for all you do for us, Rod! Hope you and Ashley are doing well!

Happy Birthday CP and thanks to Rod and ALL the people who make Cigar Pass the best cigar forum around!

Happy 10th Birthday CigarPass. Thanks for all your efforts Rod. Really enjoyed reading you short history of CP. Alwasy wondered about the sites origins and early years.

Very Nice Rod!

Count me as one of the ones who counts himself very fortunate to have stumbled across this community.

Funny thing was, that just about every time I did a cigar related search trying to learn, CigarPass always seemed to pop up with some sort of keyword.
I always thought to myself "What a bunch of losers,,,Don't these guys have anything better to do with their time."

This went on for about two years until I had a conversation with a girl named Chris who worked for a company in Switzerland. :whistling:

She told me about Cigarass and a guy named Rod interviewing her. Made me want to check it out and join.

I've never met a better bunch of people I gladly call my friends, and I would do anything to protect this place and see it continue to grow.

Thanks again Rod.

Happy Birthday CP! Rod thanks for all you do here.. :thumbs:
This place is better than ehormony :laugh:

This went on for about two years until I had a conversation with a girl named Chris who worked for a company in Switzerland. :whistling:

She told me about Cigarass and a guy named Rod interviewing her.

Nice!

Congratulations Rod! This site is a reflection of you and your vision. To those who have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Rod I would suggest you put it at the top of the list. To meet him is to understand the community that he started.

Happy Birthday CP!