• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harley Riders...Where are you?

Depending on the weather and my mood I alternate between these two:

tricycle_2.jpg

Big_Wheel_Pic-DRV2-PCZ.jpg

Bike...not Trike!!!!

Speaking of trikes, my father-in-law just triked out his brand new Goldwing. If it wasn't because of a disability/bum leg I'd say he had just ruined an otherwise great bike.

I ride a 2005 15th Anniversary Fatboy and just love it. Before it I rode a Yamaha Royal Star and it was a great bike. I love the Harley. It handles like a dream.

I view bikes like I do cigars, ride/smoke what you like and what makes you happy.

Ken

Well, ya have bikers, and ya have bike riders, and judging from my 1st couple weeks visiting here and get'n the feel of the place I came to the conclusion that any one here who might own a bike, was probably the latter of the 2 lifestyles, which I can respect...as you know I am sure, that most bikers don't mingle well with bike riders, I mean they try, but by the end of the day.....Well, everyone seems to go their seperate ways...if ya know what I mean??...ROF!! :whistling: So, with that judgment passed about the good folks here, I figured show respect, and get it back, which is exactly what's happened since I've been here...treated with great respect, and thats what I try to pass along...even better if I can!!!....YES!!! That lil rigid is a good looker, I showed it last year for the first time and took 1st in my class, in fact, walked away with that at the "local" ride an shine poker run and among many others, the oldest scoot there was a mid 90s XL, stock with bolt on stuff...mine isn't a rat, so it doesn't fit the rat pak, but classic custom 1969 and mine is pre AMF even though Harley was taken over by AMF that year, mine was USA...makes it sorta special in certin eyes...Yes, could be lower, but since thats a 1970's PAUCHO (sp could be off) I wanted to keep it all as original as I could......the newest part is the mid 70s XL front end, well...tires and front rim :D its REAL, old school, not made today to look old school...it is the real deal baby!!! :cool: OH!! no running problems until last year with carb, most my pals I hang with kinda hate it when I come to the poker runs, being fast as hell, and smaller...I have alot of advantages with her (I live in Oregon, extream south, and we have alot of mountian roads) the bigger scoots don't have...the biggest bitch, is the small 4.0 Sport-BOB tank...LOL, with it all hop'd up like it is, and the fact I don't like to ride 'er slow, since its not built to go slow...I am ALWAYS, the 1st to have to stop the pack to get gas...and it doesn't make me very popular takein' a 300 mile run to the coast and back...hehehe!!, but the way I see it, if I rode any further on that rigid with out stopping every 45-50 miles or so to fuel up, I'd never walk the same again.... :eek: Nope, that old pup is more dependable than I am, cuz if she doesn't fire in 3 kicks or less, I am just about DONE!!! I am gettin' to old to mess with that crap, I want buttons...I've never owned a bike with buttons on the handle bars to push...let alone to start one up with, which I look forward to now....I already have a brake/tail/license plate lite on 'er....down on the rear axle, right side, IF, I decide on rear turn signals, it will be something real small and simple, but LED...its only at night do I care about being seen turning from the rear...

BTW...Thanks!! ;)

I had the same trouble with my sporty(ies), especially the nightster once I did the thundermax computer, but even with the limited range, I could always just blast ahead, get gas, and catch back up with NOOOOO trouble. The perks of having the quickest/best handling of the bunch, ehh? You'll enjoy the buttons, but I have a feeling that you'll be yearning for something to kick after a short while. That rigid is a beauty, and I can see why you got 1st, and could probably do so at most bike shows. Definitely a keeper!!! I agree with you on the two types, and that this crew appears to be bike riders, not bikers. On that note, in my area (philly/bucks county), there are a lot of 1%ers that have been around for a very long time. Yes, there is the public perception of these groups, but you will never meet more hospitable people in your life (as long as you aren't a cop :cool: ). The Philly Toys for Tots ride in December is a HUGE showing, and the two biggest gangs around are the first few hundred bikes. Don't tell me that they are 'dangerous' when the Governor (Rendell) stands 10 feet away from where they are all lined up to start the ride to wave with VERY limited security. But, back to the original point, this is mostly bike riders here, but I'm still a little disappointed at the showing.

One every 2 years. I thought they lasted longer :whistling:

kaelaria, whats an FJR1300? Is that some new Fuente release? How do you ride a cigar? Kidding, kidding. I absolutely agree that most non-Harley bikes are more reliable (long-term), cheaper, more comfortable, more powerful, more fuel efficient, etc. But, they aren't Harleys. They don't sound like it, the Japanese manufacturers have attempted to engineer a misfire to their bikes to try to get that 'po-tat-o po-tat-o' sound; they don't feel like it; and, most importantly (for me), aren't Union-built in America. So what if they're $6k cheaper, get better gas mileage, don't make your back hurt, and the wife likes it better? Isn't that the fun of a Harley?

I started riding 6 years ago. Its either in you, or it isn't.

B.B.S., you'll ride it as much as you want to ride it. Take it from someone who started riding while working 80 hours a week with a newborn daughter.

To be honest, union made in America just turned me off to Harley's.

I have been thinking about picking up a bike for the ride to work and around town here. Gsxr 600 or something of the sort. I need a new toy.

Well, seeing as you decided to piss in my Cheerios, let me stand in for CoventryCat: Its 'Harleys' not 'Harley's'. I'm going to hope this ends here, but I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about them. To each their own. FWIW, I have yet to meet someone who considers a GSX-R 600 or a Harley. There are two entirely different things, even if you factor in the Porsche-designed V-Rod. I hope this isn't your first motorcycle ???

My current ride

I and my wife along with 2 other couples flew out to Washington and rented Harleys last year. We rode into Montana and spent a week there. Put just over 1700 miles on the bikes in 6 days. :0 2 - Ultra Glide, 1 - Heritage Classic and 1 - VRod.

I never was one to think about spending that kinda green on a bike.... that was before that ride. Now to my wife's dismay, I'm eyeballin' a Heritage Classic.

Its funny how people look at Harleys as so expensive. I tend to look at everything else as a bargain :D Satisfy the wife: Buy the Heritage (beautiful bike BTW), and give her the Shadow. You'll get a year or two before she makes you buy her a HD.

1982 KZ1000 - first bike...always fun!
1991 FXR-P - flipped it, a buddy owns it now
1993 FXRS-SP - an 'ex' bought it when I picked up the '01 (she moved from an 883)
2001 FLHTCUI - set up to 95ci 105hp/107ftlbs

Glad to hear you still have the FXR in the family. The are awesome bikes, and two of the fastest HDs around me are FXRs. I rode one of them (99.7 hp with an 80 inch), and it was an absolute riot. Good power from the Ultra Classic, mind if I ask the setup?

---------------

Ken, I have yet to be on a better handling/riding Harley than the Fatboy. You get the comfort of that big FL front end, and the handling and ride of the softail. Absolutely my next bike after my Road King. Well, that or a Street Glide....

1982 KZ1000 - first bike...always fun!
1991 FXR-P - flipped it, a buddy owns it now
1993 FXRS-SP - an 'ex' bought it when I picked up the '01 (she moved from an 883)
2001 FLHTCUI - set up to 95ci 105hp/107ftlbs

Glad to hear you still have the FXR in the family. The are awesome bikes, and two of the fastest HDs around me are FXRs. I rode one of them (99.7 hp with an 80 inch), and it was an absolute riot. Good power from the Ultra Classic, mind if I ask the setup?

Stage V Twin Cam® Performance Package ('99-'06 F.I.) by www.rrcycles.com
Blockhead bored to 95ci.
New pistons (eagle?)
New Cam(Comps something)
New coil wires plugs
Heads polished
Intake and thottle body honed.
Bub headers w/Thunder Header exhaust pipes(de-tuned it with V&H exhaust - too loud the other way....but down to 95hp/97ftlb)
Power Commander III (ecm override)
etc.

This was done back in 2002. The reworked heads get some the best flow...greats guys too.

I had the same trouble with my sporty(ies), especially the nightster once I did the thundermax computer, but even with the limited range, I could always just blast ahead, get gas, and catch back up with NOOOOO trouble. The perks of having the quickest/best handling of the bunch, ehh?

Yeah, it does have its advantages in those cases...and poker runs too :D

You'll enjoy the buttons, but I have a feeling that you'll be yearning for something to kick after a short while.

Well, I will have the stroker to kick on when I am Jones'n for some knee pain..LOL, AND...I still have my XR600 for kicking pleasures as well, so I'll always have the options when I desire.. :thumbs:

That rigid is a beauty, and I can see why you got 1st, and could probably do so at most bike shows. Definitely a keeper!!!

Thanks, I've had that scooter since 1974, when my pop and his pals scoured around their shops for Sporty parts for me to learn how to build bikes...I was 14 at the time, and pop figgered it would take me a good couple years to get that baby up an running...BOY!! was that a bad move for him, as I had that pup up, and running before I turned 15...I've had that bike now for over 30 years, this year marks its 40th birthday..So, yeah...I going to be showing it alot more this summer..So far, NO ONE has one like mine anywhere around this area, not a 1969 XLCH.. (BTW---when was the last time anyone on this thread saw, or even rode a 1969 Jap ANYTHING?? OR better yet, 1948 Flat Head Delivery??..) :whistling:

I agree with you on the two types, and that this crew appears to be bike riders, not bikers.

Yeah, but its all good...at least their hearts are in the right place, by being in the wind...gotta give 'em that much credit...AND, when they get tired of their GOTTA HAVE Harleys, guys like you and me get killer deals on scoots and parts..because those kinda riders aren't that serious to make it a lifestyle...THAT, takes a different breed of human!!! :cool:

On that note, in my area (philly/bucks county), there are a lot of 1%ers that have been around for a very long time. Yes, there is the public perception of these groups, but you will never meet more hospitable people in your life (as long as you aren't a cop :cool: ). The Philly Toys for Tots ride in December is a HUGE showing, and the two biggest gangs around are the first few hundred bikes. Don't tell me that they are 'dangerous' when the Governor (Rendell) stands 10 feet away from where they are all lined up to start the ride to wave with VERY limited security. But, back to the original point, this is mostly bike riders here, but I'm still a little disappointed at the showing.

True!!! however, you should rephrase your personal lable of "gang"...these fellas do NOT belong to a "gang"..Thats the Crips and Bloods and AB's trip!! 1% Clubs are just that...CLUBS and I think you already know that, judging from your posts your a smart person...don't let that comment get you in trouble at the next toy run.....'jes an FYI bro!!! And for finding real "bikers" at a site like this is kinda odd, to tell the truth, I didn't expect to see ANY scooter folks here, and figured that I'd get handed my ass, and shown the door....BUT, so far, I've made some real cool friends from different lifestyles than my own...proves to me, we are ALL HUMANS 1st :cool:

Quite a story with your Sporty. Thats amazing that you've had the bike that long. And no, I can't tell you the last time I saw any jap that was older than the 80s, and that was one of those 3 cylinder Kawasakis (collectable as hell!!).

Yes, you are correct, that is best rephrased as 'club', as your definition of gang is the accurate one. Plus, they don't invite me to their 'ganghouse', I should have known better. Pardon my Freudian slip :D No trouble here for me though.

Grateful, I was hoping you'd know the cam, but I'll definitely check them out, thanks for the info. My stock 96er is begging to get opened up at the end of this season.

Quite a story with your Sporty. Thats amazing that you've had the bike that long. And no, I can't tell you the last time I saw any jap that was older than the 80s, and that was one of those 3 cylinder Kawasakis (collectable as hell!!).

Yes, you are correct, that is best rephrased as 'club', as your definition of gang is the accurate one. Plus, they don't invite me to their 'ganghouse', I should have known better. Pardon my Freudian slip :D No trouble here for me though.

Grateful, I was hoping you'd know the cam, but I'll definitely check them out, thanks for the info. My stock 96er is begging to get opened up at the end of this season.

I have the specs at home.

I think it was an Andrews now that I've had some coffee! (Though that may have been the ev23 I put in the FXR :D )

PM me and I'll tell you a little more about them. - Reggie senior has done some fantastic work in the CNC area...for years!

'04 Road King Classic. 118K miles. Getting time for a new motor (or bike)

normal_geronimo_bike.jpg

Now are you talking about Harley riders or owners? Because you know there are the guys that only break theirs out on the weekend to go to the local Harley store and then tow it to Sturgis and ride around like they're on it every day of the week.... :sign:

traileringissickness.jpg

My favorite shirt is the one that says, "If you see my bike on a trailer call 911, it's been stolen!"

gard, thats a good lookin sporty. i miss mine sooooo much.

slowhand, now that is some miles!!! good for you! No new bike, just get a new (bigger) motor :D

I'm not a biker nor am I a bike a rider but am looking to start riding. I got my first bike about 2 weeks ago but need to do some work on it before I start riding. It is a '78 Honda CB750. Sportster adn Twizz, mind if I PM you guys some newbie questions as I fix her up? I'd post pics but something bad happened to my camera.

Not sure how much I can help on a Honda, but I'll do my best, PM away.

BTW---when was the last time anyone on this thread saw, or even rode a 1969 Jap ANYTHING??

Ahem, there is a 1967 Honda 90 in my garage, I haven't rode it in a few years. getting ready to start restoration, it has pushrods just like a HD!

I have always rode in the dirt, and HD hasn't made a dirt bike for quite some time, Late 70's if I remember right, I currently ride a 86 Honda XL250, that I built out of a Free blown up XL and a Gifted 200x 3 wheeler, I took the motor out of the 200x, and planted it in the XL250 frame, Awesome dirt bike for free!

Heh, I rode my sportsters like dirt bikes, does that count?

I am kinda with twizz on this one, the only Honda's I've ever wrenched on were my old Elsanors (sp?) and my XRs, which currently is a XR600.....but I am sure, between the 2 of us, we can help out!!

Cool on the old Honda, my brother in law is a retro Honda freak, and he finds them all over the place, buys them, fixes them up, and resells the for a good profit....He's now into the 350 Honda Dream....WAIT!!! maybe thats a 305...I can't remember, but they are pretty cool looking!!!