• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Beefcube

beeficus cubeicus
33 years old and I think these movies are great. The 6 year old got a lil' scared during the last movie so I took the 8 year old to see this one first. She got a lil' scared in a couple spots but made it through fine. Its not for kids who scare easy.
Got home from school and started the pee-pee dance and begging to go see it. So we hit the 4pm show and got an almost empty theater. About 40 people in all. On the way out though there were about 200 people waiting to buy tickets. There are two theaters within 5 miles and with about 8-10 screens each and only this one was showing it. Good thing I checked times then hurried out or we would of been in the 200.
When the last book came out I took my kids and a friend to get the books and they got on tv with a reporter covering the book release. They got to be the talk of the elementary school for a day.

gotta remember it's a kids book about magic and worth the 12$ for two tickets

Went to see it today with the Bratkeeper, left Mini PB at daycare and we went to the 12:15 showing. It was good, but the book was WAY better. As a matter of fact, I am going to re-read the book again now, because the movie left out too much.

I will definitely go see it this weekend with the wife cause the wife loved the first two Harry Potter movies and loves the books even more. :)

I want to see it but I am a bit sad... As good an actor as Michael Gambon is..no one can replace the late, great Richard Harris.

Dawn said:
I want to see it but I am a bit sad... As good an actor as Michael Gambon is..no one can replace the late, great Richard Harris.
Agreed. Pulled out my Camelot tape set and watched it again the other day. :)

Can't wait to see this one I agree the book was great and it was even better the second time through.

BenjieV :0

Didn't read the book, but heard the movie left out a lot. From my point of view, seemed like they got the heart of the book (storyline, especially). If they were to include all the pertinent details, each movie would be 3 movies long. :D

Not to mention... the kids in the movie would be about 30 by the time they finished filming.

vewyphishy said:
Not to mention... the kids in the movie would be about 30 by the time they finished filming.
That remains a very real concern my friend ???

But there was a very importent point that stuck out for me they left unsaid, there is a certain magical map, the creators of which is very important, but they never told us in the movie who Moony, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prong actually ARE. Bad oversight in my oppinion.

The books obviously go into much greater detail than the movie, but the movie was good too.

Never read any of the books, but I love the movies, will go see it this weekend

I was very dissappointed in this movie. In fact if I were 30 years younger I woulda said it sucked.

#1 and #2 had a different Director than #3, and #3 showed the change. It was not for the better. Hopefully the reviews will show this and when it hits DVD they will add the missing elements

PuroBrat said:
vewyphishy said:
That remains a very real concern my friend ???
Well, they can always airbrush out his 5 O'clock shadow and her blossoming bosom.

I saw the movie last night -- I thought it was pretty good. I wasn't really blown away by it, it was a bit too disjointed and the denouement was utterly blown, IMHO. "Aha, YOU are the bad guy, you must die!" -- "No, YOU are the bad guy, you must die!" -- "No, YOU are!"

I was left thinking "that's it?" after the conversation on the Shrieking Shack.

MOvies #1 and #2 followed the books pretty well. "Prisoner" takes a lot of liberties with the story line. "Disjointed"? I think that is a good description, Moki; and the things they left out played up the lack of continuity in the overarching story. It's as if they've decided (for whatever reasons) to chuck that grand tale that Rowling is weaving in favor of a series of stand-alone movies. Too bad.

melski said:
MOvies #1 and #2 followed the books pretty well. "Prisoner" takes a lot of liberties with the story line. "Disjointed"? I think that is a good description, Moki; and the things they left out played up the lack of continuity in the overarching story.
Leaving things out would make the story seem disjointed, no? I've never read any of the books, so I'm not able to fill in the cracks with what happened in the books. I'm just looking at the movie.

Moki, I think that may be the biggest problem. If somebody sees the movie without having read the book, the movie will be VERY Disjounted. There was too much left out, not only from the 3rd year at hogwarts, but also a bit of background coverage as well.

I recommend you get the book and spend some time reading it :thumbs:

au contraire my friends.

I loved the movie. I'm not particularly into the books. I tried reading one and it was too insipid. I saw the first one and it was pretty insipid too. I must say I am biased against the whole phenomenon as peing pretty juvenile. Anyway I went to see the Azkaban one with a friend who loves the stuff and I thought it was quite good. The whole movie is kind of dark and brooding. Also I love Thewliss and Oldman. Two of my favorite actors. And of course Rickman is a scene stealer. God that character is awesome.

Plus the budding romantic tension between Ron and Hermiony is fun to watch.

Anyways I thought it was good. Even though I wasn't expecting much.

Beefcube said:
33 years old and I think these movies are great. The 6 year old got a lil' scared during the last movie so I took the 8 year old to see this one first. She got a lil' scared in a couple spots but made it through fine. Its not for kids who scare easy.
Got home from school and started the pee-pee dance and begging to go see it. So we hit the 4pm show and got an almost empty theater. About 40 people in all. On the way out though there were about 200 people waiting to buy tickets. There are two theaters within 5 miles and with about 8-10 screens each and only this one was showing it. Good thing I checked times then hurried out or we would of been in the 200.
When the last book came out I took my kids and a friend to get the books and they got on tv with a reporter covering the book release. They got to be the talk of the elementary school for a day.

gotta remember it's a kids book about magic and worth the 12$ for two tickets
Whoa, you have kids? I can't believe that you're allowed to be in charge of kids, much less have them!

PuroBrat said:
Moki, I think that may be the biggest problem. If somebody sees the movie without having read the book, the movie will be VERY Disjounted. There was too much left out, not only from the 3rd year at hogwarts, but also a bit of background coverage as well.

I recommend you get the book and spend some time reading it :thumbs:
Not true. If you never read the book, then you wouldn't know what was missing. I didn't read the book... but I thought the movie progressed along pretty well. My girlfriend told me stuff was missing, but I assumed that much anyways. How much detail can you fit into a 2 or 3 hour movie? Especially when the book is 500+ pages. Take the last one... Order of Phoenix. Isn't that one almost 1000 pages? Anything short of filming a 6 hour epic is going to be disappointing, in terms of the storyline. It's a movie. What can you do about it?

After thinking about the movie a little more, I realized that they never mentioned the names of the 4 "houses" of Hogwarts. I guess by now, you're supposed to already know them. As for explaining who Moony, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prong are... well, they never even touched on it, so I don't think an explanation was needed. They just told us what we needed to know... that the three of them (Lupin, Serious, and Peter) and Harry's father were friends.

As with all movies based on book, LOTS of detail had to be excluded... it's an unfortuante byproduct of the situation. I would love to see the entirety of the book acted out, but damn... that's a tall task. I thought this movie was quite good, given the limitations. Just 2 cents from a big kid trapped in an older body. :D

I love the Harry Potter series. The books are great and while they are better than the movies the movies are still very fun. I thought this third one was the best so far and very well done. I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to see it again with my daughter.