• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has anybody tried these cutters with backstops?

JimK

I recently bought a couple of these cutters and I really like them. They are like a normal double gullotine cutter with finger handles on each end, but one side is closed, so the cigar doesn't go all the way through. They are branded (I have a Cusano and a Habano Cohiba). They cut really well, and because of the backstop, the cut evenly and give a perfect cut pretty much every time. They don't work on pyramids, and they cut a little too much for a PC or TPC, but other than that they are perfect. The backstop somehow holds the cap, and when you close the blades after cutting, the cap stays there, which is handy if you don't have any place to throw it.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else knew what I was talking about or had tried these.

JK

Are they a name brand or just a B&M special? Any links or pictures to them?

I've never tried one...but to be honest I usually have more luck with a single blade cutter than a double. I'm sure I'm in the minority with that. I've seen these backstops on cutters before but I thought it would take away from sizing up your own cut. I kinda like looking at the head and seeing precisely where I'd like to cut.

Jason

There's not really a name brand per se, mine both have a cigar brand on the back.

I find they give me the perfect size cut. Sometimes when I use other cutters, I cut crooked or I cut too much.

JK

I've used one once and only time I will ever use one. It was the only one they had a shop I went into to smoke and when I cut the cap, it wasn't enough. Just ruined the Anejo I was smoking because after the initial cut I couldn't cut again without ruining the cigar completely. The guy said it is a guard for the new smokers so they don't cut too much off the cap...NOOBS! No offence JimK... :) But I'd much prefer my Xikar. :thumbs:

-Fetter

Never seen these, but i like Double blade cutters. The best one i've ever seen is the SAK, but i don't have it, though i'd like to!

I put my Xikar on the table opened, put my cigar into the hole, then cut. Uniform shallow cut each time. If there isn't enough cut off, I do it a second time. Beli's just get eyeballed.

Emo

emodx said:
I put my Xikar on the table opened, put my cigar into the hole, then cut. Uniform shallow cut each time. If there isn't enough cut off, I do it a second time. Beli's just get eyeballed.

Emo
[snapback]275745[/snapback]​

Ditto...

That's a good idea to put your cutter on the table. Never thought of that.

Jason

I got rid of my training wheels years ago. lol

It actually is a pretty cool cutter, but I'll stick with my Swiss Army Knife.

The Master said:
I got rid of my training wheels years ago. lol

It actually is a pretty cool cutter, but I'll stick with my Swiss Army Knife.
[snapback]275781[/snapback]​

I have the swiss army knife cutter as well.... its the smoothest cut I have found.... and its nice to be able to cut a cigar wherever needed. It comes in very handy when a cigar is plugged to be able to cut higher up without destroying the cigar.