• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Havana Club 7

mmburtch

Sleep deprived and cranky
I bought a bottle of this in Mexico at the local super market, and mixed mohitos all week long to rave reviews. I then bought a bottle at the duty free store on the way home. I have made a couple of drinks for my wife since then from the new bottle, and she has complained the they just weren't as good, and sort of tasted funny. I don't drink, so I can't compare the two. It just struck me that maybe, like cigars, the duty free stores might be selling counterfiet rum. Am I off base? Could it just be a bad bottle? Any thoughts?

I personally can't say if it was fake or not. When I went to Havana, I met an attorney who represented Cuban companies that were victims of counterfeiting. According to her, Havana Club was one of the products on the list.

never use HC7 to make mojitos!! OUCH!
HC7 is a sipping rum.

Montecristo is another good sipping rum but it makes awesome mojitos

Agreed Alex...

Matt, I would guess it was the way the Mojito was made, some use simple syrup, cane sryup, etc. I am assuming that fresh mint was used. I would also guess that the ratio of all ingredients will affect the taste as well.

I had the opposite experience with HC7 and Kaluha. The local markets had plenty of fake stuff to sell. Labels a bit off, colors wrong, printing fonts slightly off etc c etc but the duty free had the right stuff. I didn't buy any locally so I can't say how it tasted.

Maybe just maybe you enjoyed the fake stuff better? If indeed the one bought local is fake and the duty free one is real? Just something to ponder!

Don

Is it common knowledge that duty free stores have sold fake cigars? Any time I'm able to buy in duty free, I do because it seems much more legit than the small local stores that clearly cater to tourists. I went though Amsterdam Schiphol last year on my way to Greece and let me tell you, that place is like heaven.

Is there a chance that the atmosphere and surroundings have biased her judgement?

And yes, I've seen tons of fake cigars at duty free shops, but those are mostly in the islands. I'm not sure how it compares in Europe.

never use HC7 to make mojitos!! OUCH!
HC7 is a sipping rum.

Montecristo is another good sipping rum but it makes awesome mojitos

Another good post from you! :laugh: :thumbs:

I agree, HC7 is for sipping ONLY!

If you're not a drinker, then it's extremely hard to get that specific mixture in a drink, especially if the bartender changed the drinks a touch to either add more taste, change the taste or hide other tastes. There are custom recipes that many bartenders keep their lips sealed about, you may ask them for it, get a recipe, but that is NOT the same drink you are getting from that bartender. Without you being a drinker, you don't have a taste for what is overpowering specific tastes, missing or what needs to be added. Aside being trained, or a drinker yourself, I doubt you'll be able to duplicate the specific taste that your wife enjoyed.

I doubt you'll be able to duplicate the specific taste that your wife enjoyed.

I made the drinks there and here. Its my recipe. The only real difference is possibly the limes, and the bottle I poured the rum out of.