• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Have I been ripped off? Real Cedar..?

murdoch

Hi all! I just got my first humi, and started seasoning it according to the great guide written here. The cloth I used for moisting was originally white, but was discolored afterwards. Is this normal? I also noticed that the divider in the humi didn't have the same color on both sides, which makes me suspicious whether this wood is just painted to look like cedar. As you can see from the pictures, the wood in the lid does not have the same color as the base, either. So I guess this isn't cedar either..? All pictures portray the wood after it has been moisted, including the lid. The humi I bought is this one.
343292.jpeg
larger pic
343302.jpeg
larger pic
343304.jpeg
larger pic
343306.jpeg
larger pic
343308.jpeg
larger pic

* If you get the thumbs version after clicking the links, try typing "image" instead of "thumb" in the url.

Welcome to CP, murdoch! :thumbs:

As is customary to this website, we recommend you post an introduction about yourself HERE. Also, fill out your profile HERE.

As an answer to your question, I believe it's normal for miscoloration to occur when wiping the walls with a damp cloth. If you're interested in seasoning your humidor, I recommend you read THIS. I have some bags of beads in my humidor that lay against the floor. If I get over-zealous with the distilled water, the mesh bag gets slightly damp, and the coloration appears on it as well.

I suppose the question I have for you is - does the wood smell like cedar?

Thanks for the warm welcome, and swift reply. Yes, thanks. I'm following the instructions from that guide, I'm really impressed with it. Calibrating the hygrometer with salt as we speak ;) As for your question, I really don't know what cedar should smell like.. :blush: Isn't there a way to tell from the pictures?

My apologies for not presenting myself, I shall look into it at once.

The towel should most definitely change color after wiping it down. It's wood... when you work it it makes dust. There's no one at the end of the production line wiping them clean until all the dust and residue is gone. You're getting sawdust as well as some of the oils from the wood on said paper towel. PERFECTLY normal. It happens with every humidor I've got as well as built myself.
Does look like you might have gotten one that's just veneered spanish cedar instead of solid though... HOWEVER that doesn't mean it won't do a perfect job.
Chris

As for your question, I really don't know what cedar should smell like.. :blush: Isn't there a way to tell from the pictures?

if you have a cigar box (made from cedar) you can smell that then smell the wood to see if its the same

Did you wipe down the divider too?

When you do the initial seasoning and the cedar gets wet, it gets slightly darker.

Joho: The whole box is wiped on the pictures, and both sides of the divider. That's why I got baffled, since the colours mismatch on the same piece of wood.
thevalkrye: Yes, obviously - if I had something to compare it with it would be a whole lot easier ;)

But if verhoevc says this is normal, then I shall stop worrying:)
Thanks for all the answers :thumbs:

Where did you get your humidor from?

Chances are it's fine. :p

Thats what I was wondering about. I have heard some bad things about humidors that have been purchased at Ebay low quality and not the correct materials hope it is all OK though.. Please give us an update on the status I would like to know Thanks.
Josh

I have a link in the first post to the actual model, but you can also find it here. Did not buy from ebay.

As for the divider, it's not made of one chunk of wood. It is obviously "coated" with different cedar wood or whatever, and therfore the two sides don't match in color :whistling: (the pictures of the divider above were not before/after if anyone wondered, all pictures were taken after an equal amount of wiping, including the lid)

But according to this picture, which is the same as my humi, the wood in the lid has the same color as the rest. I find it a bit odd that mine dont.. I shall contact the seller to check if this is normal

Maybe they've just assembled it wrong :rolleyes:

You seem to be a worry wart! Not all wood is the same color, maybe the lid came from a different cedar tree as the base?

Haha, that was a new one. Well.. What little (faulty?) knowledge I had about cedar was that it should have a slightly red hue. But if this is not the case, that's just perfect.

The material on the rag may just be sawdust. The difference in color from one side to another can be due to light. Cedar will change colors due to exposure to sun or intense light. I can't tell much more due to the size of the pics. They aren't enlarging for me. It's possible they used a very thin veneer of cedar over a substrate. This is common for chinese humidors. That's about all I can offer w/o bigger pics.

Back