• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HD DVD or BluRay

No, McK. Not yet.

I'm afraid I'll be waiting until I graduate from grad school in 2009.

The only thing that could speed that along might be the total termination of analog TV service that, last I heard, was due to take place in the spring of 2008. I'm assuming that deadline will be missed and we'll still be able to use our old Sony for another year after that.
Thanks for asking!
Wilkey

I think your tv purchase should be more important than BD or HDDVD. As long as you have cable or satelite, I don't think the FCC pulling the plug on the analog spectrum will have much an impact the way you watch tv today. People with just an antenna, will need to get a new tv or set top box for their existing analog tv which will be able to decode the digital signals and convert the signal to be able to be displayed on an analog tv. Now back to my question if you got a tv yet...since the post started last year, there have been some more features which are coming out on this year's tv's and the '09 crop. Look for tv's which offer "deep color" and 120hz refresh rates. The 120hz refresh rates help with the conversion of film to video, movies are original shot in film than transfered to video for home use. Film and video are at different frame rates, this new 120hz feature will improve the image handle movement during scenes better. "Deep Color" means the tv or dvd player and av receiver can handle higher video bandwith which the end result will be a better picture from hddvd,db or an hd camcorder with the deep color feature.

Keep us posted

McK

Yowza, Jax. That's killer. They have the Sony WEGA LCDs at the BJ's and the picture is always amazing.

BTW, did you pay for a professional calibration?

Wilkey

I bought it 6 months ago at Circuit City for about $1500. Now they are $400 cheaper. I tried using a CRT calibration DVD and it was a mess. So even though I should have it calibrated I haven't. It does have an auto calibration. I may get a DVD eventually. As far as getting it in the house. I was amped after I bought it. Tried getting it in the truck (SUV) and it was to high. So we unpack it except for the bottom box. Driving home at like two miles an hour. So I get home and my Dad who lives near me isn't home. So I prop the screen door open and walk the bastard in myself. Whole time I'm walking it in I'm saying to myself your an idiot and will drop it. Safe enough I got it in the house. Its a 3LCD which gets a big F you from the hard core audio types. Considered rear projection. But for the dollar it can't be beat IMO.

No, McK. Not yet.

I'm afraid I'll be waiting until I graduate from grad school in 2009.

The only thing that could speed that along might be the total termination of analog TV service that, last I heard, was due to take place in the spring of 2008. I'm assuming that deadline will be missed and we'll still be able to use our old Sony for another year after that.
Thanks for asking!
Wilkey

I think your tv purchase should be more important than BD or HDDVD. As long as you have cable or satelite, I don't think the FCC pulling the plug on the analog spectrum will have much an impact the way you watch tv today. People with just an antenna, will need to get a new tv or set top box for their existing analog tv which will be able to decode the digital signals and convert the signal to be able to be displayed on an analog tv. Now back to my question if you got a tv yet...since the post started last year, there have been some more features which are coming out on this year's tv's and the '09 crop. Look for tv's which offer "deep color" and 120hz refresh rates. The 120hz refresh rates help with the conversion of film to video, movies are original shot in film than transfered to video for home use. Film and video are at different frame rates, this new 120hz feature will improve the image handle movement during scenes better. "Deep Color" means the tv or dvd player and av receiver can handle higher video bandwith which the end result will be a better picture from hddvd,db or an hd camcorder with the deep color feature.

Keep us posted

McK
Very cool advice. 120hz is damned fast. I believe my computer CRT is only set at 80hz and video displays fine on it. I will probably have to get a set top box of some sort as we do not have cable or satellite. There should be on-air HD signals which hopefully a cheap box will decode and send to the RF antenna jack on our Sony.

Yowza, Jax. That's killer. They have the Sony WEGA LCDs at the BJ's and the picture is always amazing.

BTW, did you pay for a professional calibration?

Wilkey

I bought it 6 months ago at Circuit City for about $1500. Now they are $400 cheaper. I tried using a CRT calibration DVD and it was a mess. So even though I should have it calibrated I haven't. It does have an auto calibration. I may get a DVD eventually. As far as getting it in the house. I was amped after I bought it. Tried getting it in the truck (SUV) and it was to high. So we unpack it except for the bottom box. Driving home at like two miles an hour. So I get home and my Dad who lives near me isn't home. So I prop the screen door open and walk the bastard in myself. Whole time I'm walking it in I'm saying to myself your an idiot and will drop it. Safe enough I got it in the house. Its a 3LCD which gets a big F you from the hard core audio types. Considered rear projection. But for the dollar it can't be beat IMO.
Ahhh,
I used to use the Avia Home Video CRT calibration DVD on my Sony and it seemed to help. Just for chuckles, I tried it on an LCD display and it seemed to be almost useless.

Wilkey

I'm not sure where this 120hz info is coming from. What is being done in High Def DVD is direct film to digital transfer at the native 24fps (hz) instead of the current 60hz. A large number of sets that are 1080p capable can't accept this native input and so convert it to 60hz and 1080i which is a High Def standard but not what is on the DVD.

Keep us posted

McK

I'm not sure where this 120hz info is coming from. What is being done in High Def DVD is direct film to digital transfer at the native 24fps (hz) instead of the current 60hz. A large number of sets that are 1080p capable can't accept this native input and so convert it to 60hz and 1080i which is a High Def standard but not what is on the DVD.

Keep us posted

McK

Samsung, Sony and Mitsubishi are touting the 120HZ on the higher end models, check out the links below, the Mitsubishi link is a PDF file which offers a simple description and the other link is a review of a Sony front projector with the 120HZ feature, look to the left of the page for the Sony model VPLVW60 and click on it and scroll down to about half way there is a visual aid/image with the result of what 120HZ will suposedly offer.

http://mitsubishitv.com/j/i/18326/Televisi...3.html?cid=5385

Here is a link describing the Sony 120HZ feature

http://www.htprojectors.com/indexENG.asp

Wilkey, by the time you buy a TV, DVD player & av receiver in ’09 most if not all of the equipment will have these features(HDMI 1.3a)

McKenzie