• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hello NEW Cigar here, Is this a good start ?

mrjones

Reaction score
Hello I am a new sugar smoker and intake all my hobbies seriously so I want to get started the right way let me know what you guys think of these purchases so far ?

I bought a Savoy Boveda humidor and plan to season it using the Boveda method. For cigars I bought 3 samplers and 1 box of hemming way short stories.

Sampler 1
CI's Backyard Boogie Mega-Sampler includes:
1 - CAO Brazilia Gol! (5" x 56)
1 - Obsidian Robusto (5" x 50) 
1 - 5 Vegas Gold Series Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Gran Habano Corojo Vintage 2002 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - CAO Black Ltd. Bengal (6" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas High Primings Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Pinar del Rio Habano Seleccion Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - CAO 'VR' Moby (6" x 50)
1 - Gran Habano Habano #3 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas Cask-Strength Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Pinar del Rio Habano Oscuro Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas Gold Maduro Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Gran Habano Azteca Fuerte Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - CAO Italia Ciao (5" x 56)
1 - Pinar del Rio Habano Sun Grown Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Gran Habano Connecticut #1 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Pinar del Rio Habano Clasico Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas Classic Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - CAO Mx2 Robusto (5" x 52) 
1 - Gran Habano 3 Siglos Robusto (5" x 50)

Sampler 2
2 5 Vegas Series A Apotheosis (5.5 x 55)
2 Gurkha Class Regent Torpedo (6.25 x 52)
2 HC Series Maduro Belicoso (6 x 54)
2 Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project Toro (6 x 50) 
2 Sosa Robusto (5 x 54)

Sampler 3
Pardon Sampler
3 1964
3 1926
2 regular series

This will keep me bust for a while but if there's anything you guys recommendthat I should try let me know.

Your third sampler and your box is all you needed. Enjoy. But of course as punk lawyer suggested. If anyone can smoke raunchy cigars...its me :)

Thanks for the advice I don't want to smoke anything that's not going to be worth the time, The 2nd sampler I bought only because it was 10$ to add on,  read some where that the sosa's aren't worth smoking and to just toss them, do you think that's good advice? Are there any others that aren't worth the time?

mrjones said:
Hello I am a new sugar smoker and intake all my hobbies seriously so I want to get started the right way let me know what you guys think of these purchases so far ?

I usually sniff my sugar. To each their own.

It looks like you're off to a good start (with the exception of spell correction - just jabbing).  I think your box of short stories was a wise choice.  A very good smoke at a reasonable price.  What I would suggest is to resist the temptation of going too fast... enjoy the ride.  That is, enjoy the cheap cigars as long as you can and allow your own palate to determine what you like because the choice of cigars is quite subjective which is what makes this "hobby" so much fun.  I think too often new cigar smokers try to grow up too quickly because of the advice from guys who have been smoking for years.  For example, I wouldn't touch either sampler 1 or 2 regardless of cost but would eat up that "pardon me" sampler at the right price.  However, when I was first starting out, a five dollar cigar was considered a premium stick.  Enjoy!

Oh yeah... one more word of advice (for what it's worth)... next time you buy a humi - whatever you are considering, go 3-4x bigger as you won't regret it.  You will probably never feel like your humi is big enough. :)

tomthirtysix said:

I usually sniff my sugar. To each their own.
I like mine in ice tea.

Thanks for the advice I went with the large size humidor. Of the cigars in the first 2 samplers which ones do you guys think are best ?

The CI samplers tend to have a lot of "filler."  You'd be better off going with samplers from vendors like Jack Schwartz, Holt's, or the Newbie Sampler thread here.

~Boar

I see in your opinion which ones are filler so I know to avoid them, or are they all filler lol?

I think you should just smoke what you've already purchased and let your palate decide.  Keep notes on what you like and don't like, and use that to shape your future purchases.  There's some cigars I like that others don't and vice versa, so form your own opinions.  People like different kinds of coffee -- the same is true with cigars.  Figure out what you like and smoke that.  

I agree with the above post. Besides, nothing wrong with a little filler. I can't afford to eat filet mignon and lobster every night but a good burger will always hit the spot.

Like the brothers have said, try them all since you have to find the taste and enjoyment that appears to you. On the samplers personally I like the Ramon Bueso Genesis, and you never go wrong with Padron. You might put on your future shopping list Fuente, Tatuaje, Drew Estates ( the LP#9 is really an awesome smoke ) and illuisione. With all the brands and vitolas available you could smoke a new stick three times a day and not run out in three years. Just enjoy the moment and if possible find some brothers to Herf with, it's so much more fun.

It looks like you're off to a good start (with the exception of spell correction - just jabbing).  I think your box of short stories was a wise choice.  A very good smoke at a reasonable price.  What I would suggest is to resist the temptation of going too fast... enjoy the ride.  That is, enjoy the cheap cigars as long as you can and allow your own palate to determine what you like because the choice of cigars is quite subjective which is what makes this "hobby" so much fun.  I think too often new cigar smokers try to grow up too quickly because of the advice from guys who have been smoking for years.  For example, I wouldn't touch either sampler 1 or 2 regardless of cost but would eat up that "pardon me" sampler at the right price.  However, when I was first starting out, a five dollar cigar was considered a premium stick.  Enjoy!

Oh yeah... one more word of advice (for what it's worth)... next time you buy a humi - whatever you are considering, go 3-4x bigger as you won't regret it.  You will probably never feel like your humi is big enough. :)
Reread this post at least four times, then head over to the Newbie sampler thread. You will be glad you did.

It's a good selection of cigars to start off with... you don't know what you'll like until you try them.
It's a smart start to get samplers so that you aren't stuck with a whole box that you don't like.
The newbie sampler thread is also a good idea... I got a great selection and actually found a fairly inexpensive cigar that I really enjoyed that I had overlooked until then.

That's for the help guys I will try them and let you know how I like them.

The Newbie Sampler also let's you try cigars that have Definitely been stored properly. Samplers from big stores are often iffy in that department.

In the beginning, almost all cigars are worth your time. Smoke different things and figure out what you like, then continue to smoke what you like.

theorangeman said:

I can vouch for that!
I didn't think I would EVER fill up my foot locker humidor (500 capacity) and it's nearly at capacity