• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help. Bloom or Mold?

Yikes - that's as bad a case of mold as I can recall ever seeing. May have to "nuke the site from orbit".....just to be sure.... :(

Time for some careful analysis as to how things got so bad......B.B.S.

EWWWW Mold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like your cigars needs hair club for men.

It looks like it's just the outside of the foot. Maybe you can just wipe it off and still smoke it?

EWWWW Mold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like your cigars needs hair club for men.

It looks like it's just the outside of the foot. Maybe you can just wipe it off and still smoke it?

The cigar is not only a Presidente, it's also a member.

So as a curious party: What should this poor dude do now besides throw out the specifically effected cigars:

1) Nuke the whole humidor?
2) Wipe down the rest of the cigars with bleach :(
3) Start from scratch?

I have wipped off areas of mold that were on the wrapper and smoked the stick, but I would never smoke onw with mold that is that thick and on the foot. If the growth has gotten that developed, I would assume it is in the leaf. A recipe for sickness I would think.

Ugh, this thread is f'ng sick. Like showing pictures of some dude with his nipples cut off....

Yeah, that Pink Floyd movie f..ked me for life.

With a damp cloth (soaked w/ distilled water and rung out as much as possible), brush all of the mold off the sticks. Brush quickly as to not overly soak the wrappers. Now, leave them out in an area of moderate humidity and air circulation. I don't like to have them dry out too much, so the driest I'll let them go is 55% humidity. I usually cycle them 6hrs out a day then pack them away till the next day, not trying to rehumidify while they're in safe keeping. I also clean the humidor w/ denatured alcohol and leave it out in the sun for a full day. Then season it the next day.

I have to say, this works- at least w/ me. When I brush, I try to do it away from the stash and watch what I touch, especially unaffected cigars. All of this mold situation happened when I first started and didn't know what I was doing. Now, I don't ever let the rh go over 70%- EVER. I also air out everything any chance I get, leaving the boxes and humidors open as long as the ambient h is within limits.

In regards to the sticks w/ the mold on the end, sorry, but you'll have to discard them. You don't want a stomach ache like mine.

Not to sound like a dick, but I would be surprised if the beard on that Puro Sol just popped up one night. Do you not check your humi every once in a while? That stick looks like a freakin' wizard or something

Not to sound like a dick, but I would be surprised if the beard on that Puro Sol just popped up one night. Do you not check your humi every once in a while? That stick looks like a freakin' wizard or something

Not to sound like a dick, but did you miss this part?

Every few months or so I would open the coolidor to let the air out and let my cigars breathe a bit.

Not to sound like a dick, but did you miss this part?

Every few months or so I would open the coolidor to let the air out and let my cigars breathe a bit.

Not to sound like a dick, but I do a good job of sounding like one. I did not read that part

well guys. it's been 10 months since my outbreak. I threw out the moldy cigars (may they burn in peace), and I wiped down my Coolidor and humidors with rubbing alcohol. I isolated some of the sticks i thought were worth saving, gently wiping them down with rubbing alcohol and did the freezer thing for a week. So far 10 months later no more outbreak. The cigars I saved smoked fine. Thinking back, I do remember asking someone to add some water to my humidor beads when I was out of town, they mentioned they used tap water instead of distilled water, so I'm thinking this is the only way the mold would've formed since I do take good care of my cigars.

So let that be a lesson to everyone. Use DISTILLED water to be safe, don't use Tap water which may contain bacteria and other treatments in the water that might lead to mold.

well guys. it's been 10 months since my outbreak. I threw out the moldy cigars (may they burn in peace), and I wiped down my Coolidor and humidors with rubbing alcohol. I isolated some of the sticks i thought were worth saving, gently wiping them down with rubbing alcohol and did the freezer thing for a week. So far 10 months later no more outbreak. The cigars I saved smoked fine. Thinking back, I do remember asking someone to add some water to my humidor beads when I was out of town, they mentioned they used tap water instead of distilled water, so I'm thinking this is the only way the mold would've formed since I do take good care of my cigars.

So let that be a lesson to everyone. Use DISTILLED water to be safe, don't use Tap water which may contain bacteria and other treatments in the water that might lead to mold.

You used rubbing alcohol on your cigars? ???

Well...I only used tap water for a good 5 years in my 300 stick humidor and guess what, I never had mold on my cigars. Only cigar I had mold develop on is my Anejo's and Hemingway Maduros in my 3k stick humidor where I do use Distilled Water. Your tap water must have some serious issues. LOL!!!

You used rubbing alcohol on your cigars? ???

I've done this before with a 50/50 mix of alcohol to distilled water on some Anejo and WOAM with slight mold spots. Didn't affect them in the least while killing the mold.

Yeah I also used a 50/50 mix and I used a cotton towel to wipe down the cigar with the mixture

Looks to be the work of giant spiders. Possible nuclear spill near your residence. I highly suggest moving before this is in your yard....

spider-pic.gif