• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HELP! Mold on fresh shipment...

twizz

IITYWYBMAB
So I got a beautiful box of 3 Monte #2s from a reputable and recommended place (PM me if needed), and was quite excited to break that warranty seal. I do so, and slide those bad boys out to see not only a trio of poor looking cigars (ends frayed, wrapper flawed), there are numerous green fuzzy spots, one nearly dime sized. Google's advice was to wipe with a wet towel, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Do I contact the merchant and wait my time out for a replacement? Just smoke 'em?? What?? Anyone else ever have this issue? They didn't ship with a humipack, just well packaged and a long journey (airtight and about 4 days).

edit: Title (Pictures)

I'd definately contact the retailer. If they are reputable they will make this right. While they may be smokable you shouldn't have to deal with it.

Photo's please.

If they are that bad and you paid for them...send them back.

If it's that moldy....sent them back.

So I got a beautiful box of 3 Monte #2s from a reputable and recommended place (PM me if needed), and was quite excited to break that warranty seal. I do so, and slide those bad boys out to see not only a trio of poor looking cigars (ends frayed, wrapper flawed), there are numerous green fuzzy spots, one nearly dime sized. Google's advice was to wipe with a wet towel, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Do I contact the merchant and wait my time out for a replacement? Just smoke 'em?? What?? Anyone else ever have this issue? They didn't ship with a humipack, just well packaged and a long journey (airtight and about 4 days).

They should take care of this, no problem.

Photo's please.

If they are that bad and you paid for them...send them back.

If it's that moldy....sent them back.

Per request - Sorry for quality, I only have my Centro camera, and it sucks up close (well, it sucks all the time, but especially up close).

Picture #1 - Shows small tear and big mold spot.

monte1.JPG

monte2.JPG

edited for link URL

From the looks of the blurry pics, it looks like a sun spot....not mold, mold is usually white and fuzzy.

Twizz,

Try using the macro mode on your camera and use as much lighting as possible.

-Chad

Agreed, my Nikon is at work, this was my palm cell phone. I'll replace tomorrow at work, I can replace the file that links here.

From the looks of the blurry pics, it looks like a sun spot....not mold, mold is usually white and fuzzy.

Ahhh crap I just looked at 2 of my Monte#2 and there is some white coloring and fuzz. Could I just wipe it off and smoke them? Or should I just throw them out? I've never had a problem with mold on my cigars.

Ahhh crap I just looked at 2 of my Monte#2 and there is some white coloring and fuzz. Could I just wipe it off and smoke them? Or should I just throw them out? I've never had a problem with mold on my cigars.

Wipe and smoke unless the mold is on the foot. IF on foot, throw it in the trash.

Agreed, just "normal" discoloration. Wrapper flaws, welcome to the world of Cuban QC. As for the beat feet, the three and five pack cardboard is not the greatest protection offered to a cigar.

Sun spots.
....or "water spots" (happens in curing the tobacco, sometimes), or something other than mold. At least, that's how it appears in your photos.

Mold is white or blue, and fluffy / three dimensional.

Wipe and smoke unless the mold is on the foot. IF on foot, throw it in the trash.

Hate to throw away a cc... Man!

how silly of me to think a big green spot is mold. lol :sign:

Thank you for all the direction. So to be clear, mold will be white/blue, not green?

Thanks again, and I'll keep this crappy quality control thing in mind!!

Mold might be green, but always hairy. Buggers on the other hand are seldom hairy, but often green.