• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HELP!

gatorsmg

Here Fishy, Fishy
I picked up a computer virus at work (the school ricmac and I work at) and I can't get rid of it!

We seem to have viruses infect a few computers throughout the year and we just keep on top of it and get the infected computers cleaned up. This one has me stuck :(

I have CoolWWWSearch
It has made my Adware jump through the roof and keeps changing my internet settings. I also get a windows message saying that I have sspMydoom.cih every time I go online.

I have gone to Symantec's website and there doesn't seem to be anything there that can help me. I have also deleted a lot of the files from my registry but they just show up again and the damn thing keeps adding and changing names :angry2: :angry2: .

If somebody can help me out here I'll be your best friend :D :D

AVB said:
I've always had good results with TrendMicro. Free virus scan here.
[snapback]162612[/snapback]​

Trend micro wont do anything with coolwebsearch malware or the like. He will have to do a hijackthis log and have an expert tell him what files to delete, it is a complicated process but the geekstogo folks will help him and remove these problems, it is the only way that I found to solve the problem. I had the exact same malware along with a couple trojans i couldnt get rid of, the geek folks gave me specific instructions and I removed all the problems, it was great.

csw is a trojan backdoor variety..

there is a special tool that is used to remove it. adware removers and virus software wont remove it..

you can use this tool to remove it.

it is called cool websearch shredder.

i use it with great success..

download here..

http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip

You can also post your hijack this log if you need me to take a look at it.

Cool Websearch is a bear to clean up.

I've had REALLY good luck with Microsoft's new Anti-Spyware Beta version...

Anti Spyware

I don't know how it will work on that Cool Websearch crap, but it did a real nice job in cleaning out stuff Ad-aware SE and SpyBot didn't find/clean (including a remote phone dialer program). I figure it's worth the shot - it's FREE!!!

Until July, at which point they expect you to pay for software that fixes software you already paid for. That seem odd to anyone else?

ggiese said:
I figure it's worth the shot - it's FREE!!!
[snapback]162686[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info guys :thumbs:

I finally got rid of it :D

I tried using the CWS shredder and it didn't work neither did the multiple adware removal programs (they fould find/remove a bunch of files and registry keys but it wasn't enough).

I found a thread on techsupportforums.com that was talking about htis problem and I followed the removal steps there. It called for the use of a few small programs one of which was hijackthis (a few of you guys suggsested that as well). The process worked and I'm clean ...well my computer is anyway :rolleyes:

HERE is a link to the thread if anyone ends up needing it.

Back