• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hey Lawyers

joxxy

11 years after flunking out of college, I think I'm ready to give it another shot. I'm considering going back to school to get my bachelors; I'm semi-retired, so I can go back full time.

I want to keep my options open for Law School. My problem is choosing a major. I've never been able to commit to one field of study. My first time round, I tried Mass Communications, then Physics.

Right now I'm leaning towards English. But I'm wondering if a business or accounting degree may be a wiser choice.

How important is your undergrad major in determining acceptance/success in Law School? What did you major in? What do you suggest?

Any info and guidance is appreciated. :)

If not Economics/Accounting, then maybe Political Science. Hell, a degree in Political Science with a background in Law would definately be helpful in that area. Plus lifes expieriences make for an intersting career. Not sure what kind of jobs are out there for that, but definately an interesting back ground. I personally want to go back to school and eventually work for a Think Tank or Private Consultation.

Emo

History is a great degree for Law School though English is good too. I think Emo's idea of Poly Sci would be great too.

I would say it does not matter one bit what the major is in. The single most important thing that they consider when making the decision to accept you into law school is UNDERGRADUATE GPA. The next most important thing is your LSAT score and the minor third part is your application.
45% Undergraduate GPA
45% LSAT score
10% Your application
The above percentages reflect the importance that most law schools apply to these three factors.

So, the moral of the story is get the BEST grades you can in your undergraduate program so pick an EASY program and get "A's" ;)

coventrycat86 said:
I would say it does not matter one bit what the major is in. The single most important thing that they consider when making the decision to accept you into law school is UNDERGRADUATE GPA. The next most important thing is your LSAT score and the minor third part is your application.
45% Undergraduate GPA
45% LSAT score
10% Your application
The above percentages reflect the importance that most law schools apply to these three factors.

So, the moral of the story is get the BEST grades you can in your undergraduate program so pick an EASY program and get "A's" ;)
:thumbs: Ditto! :thumbs: Ditto! :thumbs: Ditto!
Go for the easy "A's". It worked for me ;)
Take finger painting if it's offered. :D
A GPA of 4.0 will do a lot more for you than any given major.

Best of luck!

A GPA of 4.0 will do a lot more for you than any given major.

For sure! My degree is in Mechanical Engineering/Materials Science BUT with a GPA of 2.7, the law schools weren't exactly tripping over themselves to accpet me even though I did pretty well on the LSAT :(

A 2.7 GPA ranked me 80th out of 151 of all people who graduated with an ME degree that year from UCONN. I worked a heck of a lot harder for that 2.7 than lots of my friends who had other majors and graduated with 3.5's and higher who all got into law school if they wanted to.

This is really good to hear. It would be nice to go for something I'm really interested in. I'd have no problem doing something like poly sci, or even accounting. But ASU offers an english degree concentrating on linguistics, which I find fascinating. Love history, too. That's my life long problem: too many interests. Not enough passion for one thing. ???

joxxy said:
This is really good to hear. It would be nice to go for something I'm really interested in. I'd have no problem doing something like poly sci, or even accounting. But ASU offers an english degree concentrating on linguistics, which I find fascinating. Love history, too. That's my life long problem: too many interests. Not enough passion for one thing. ???
Sounds like you should be a teacher.

joxxy said:
11 years after flunking out of college, I think I'm ready to give it another shot.
You did well enough in 11 years to semi-retire? Hell, do the same thing for a few more years and fully retire! :thumbs:

CC is right. If you want to go to law school, you should pick a major that interests you so you will get good grades. On the other hand, a law degree coupled with a technical major, such as engineering, is highly marketable upon graduation. You might also consider pursuing an MBA, in combination with a JD, as a way of making yourself more marketable.

Take care, Will

AVB said:
You did well enough in 11 years to semi-retire? Hell, do the same thing for a few more years and fully retire! :thumbs:
I'm only in this situation because the wife has her own business (which I help with) that is doing well. Without the wife, I'd still be toiling away. The home business was a side business, until it started doing so well that we both quit our full time jobs to live where we want. :)

I'm really doing this for the learning part. I'm hoping it'll help me figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

BACCHUS said:
You might also consider pursuing an MBA, in combination with a JD, as a way of making yourself more marketable.
I am considering that. If I major in something like english, I think that I'd like to do an MBA.