• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

Surprise of surprises, Tim the Tank won the Vezina.

I think there should be two trophies for D-Men. The Norris for defensive D-men and another trophy named after Bobby Orr for offensive D-men.

Doc.

That idea gets a lot of press and talk up here around award time. A couple of years ago it seemed like it was almost a done deal for that award to be in. There was also talk about renaming a few other trophies and that seemed to derail most of the process. There's an award for a defensive forward (Selke) so why not for an offensive defenseman?

For one I'd rename the Norris for Doug Harvey. How many people know that James Norris was the owner of the Red Wings in the '30s and '40s? BTW, if you don't know who Doug Harvey was...

Doc.

An old ref right? ;)

I think it would be good to re name a few. The Pearson has become the Ted Lindsay which makes sense as it's voted on by the players. However I think it would be a shame to lose the history that some of those trophies carry. I'd recommend renaming the Lady Byng though...

Mike Richards to LA for Schenn, Simmonds, and a 2nd.

Very happy to now have a lethal 1-2 punch down the middle but bummed about trading away Schenn and to a lesser extent Simmonds. Now if the Kings could just get some wingers.

I'm sick right now. I pretty much knew they would trade away Carter to be able to fit Bryz under the cap. They got great return for him. I just have a hard time with the Richards trade. It's funny now that all the talk is about how he and Laviolette don't get along and they were worried what direction that relationship would go after Richards no movement clause kicked in next July.

If the rumors prove to be true about Bryz (9 year deal, $50M), I'd start to worry that Holmgren has had a few strokes before making these deals. Not that the LA/PHI deal today was a bad one, but for a team that is hoping to be a SC contender next year seems weird to trade an all-star center for a prospect (albeit a blue chipper) and a good 3rd line grinder.

If the rumors prove to be true about Bryz (9 year deal, $50M), I'd start to worry that Holmgren has had a few strokes before making these deals. Not that the LA/PHI deal today was a bad one, but for a team that is hoping to be a SC contender next year seems weird to trade an all-star center for a prospect (albeit a blue chipper) and a good 3rd line grinder.

This is what I was thinking also. I was expecting a 5/6 year deal worth 5-6 million a year for Bryzgalov. I can't understand 9 years unless Bryz wanted more than the Flyers were willing to offer, so they had to front load the deal. As long as Schenn turns out to be a Mike Richards type player within a couple years, I don't have a problem with this. Maybe getting Simmonds, we can finally get rid of Carcillo. I don't hold a lot of stock in the second round pick they got in next years draft.

The Carter trade was great in my eyes. We didn't pick until the 84th spot tonight and we grabbed the Blue Jackets 8th and 68th in return along with Voracek. I think you plug him in with Giroux and van Reimsdyk and have a pretty good second line.

What worries me is, did they get the goalie they need to get over that hump without giving up so much that they can't get there in the first place? Holmgren wouldn't have made these deals without having a plan in place to replace one of the two centers. The hot rumor now is them going after Brad Richards....I'd rather them spend their money elsewhere because even though they're approx. 7 mil under the cap now, they'd still have to trade someone else and not resign Leino to fit Richards under the cap.

The Stanley Cup Champions have the 9th overall pick in the draft. The final piece of the Kessel trade. I understand they're interested in Ryan Murphy, a Toronto native and a pretty good offensive D-Man. We'll see. The Bruins do have a track record of taking the best player available rather than fill a need.

In other news there's little to be done as most of the team is returning. The Rat is an RFA and whether to re-sign Kaberle is of concern to most New Englanders. I say sign him. He wants to stay and may sign for reasonable money. Some how he managed to accumulate 11 assists during the playoffs, even after only averaging around 11 min. a game and played well against the Canucks. Michael Ryder is the only other UFA and Chiarelli hasn't yet spoken with his agent. Speaking of Chiarelli when asked about the Flyers' recent moves he was quoted as saying, "When they shake things up, they shake things up."

Doc.

This is what I was thinking also. I was expecting a 5/6 year deal worth 5-6 million a year for Bryzgalov. I can't understand 9 years unless Bryz wanted more than the Flyers were willing to offer, so they had to front load the deal. As long as Schenn turns out to be a Mike Richards type player within a couple years, I don't have a problem with this. Maybe getting Simmonds, we can finally get rid of Carcillo. I don't hold a lot of stock in the second round pick they got in next years draft.

The Carter trade was great in my eyes. We didn't pick until the 84th spot tonight and we grabbed the Blue Jackets 8th and 68th in return along with Voracek. I think you plug him in with Giroux and van Reimsdyk and have a pretty good second line.

What worries me is, did they get the goalie they need to get over that hump without giving up so much that they can't get there in the first place? Holmgren wouldn't have made these deals without having a plan in place to replace one of the two centers. The hot rumor now is them going after Brad Richards....I'd rather them spend their money elsewhere because even though they're approx. 7 mil under the cap now, they'd still have to trade someone else and not resign Leino to fit Richards under the cap.

Most reports and Kings fans projected Schenn to be a Mike Richards type, so it's fitting. Still it's curious the Flyers would trade him if they're gearing up for a cup run. For us Kings fans, it's a signal that the team is getting ready to be taken seriously and make more noise and shed that damn "lowly Kings" slander.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Schenn will turn into a solid NHL'er. Whether he becomes a clone of Richards or exceeds him only time will tell.

Simmonds, when he's on his game, is a great player. Works in the corners, can be relentless chasing down the puck, will stand up for his teammates and drop gloves with anyone. He had a down season this past year, plus the rise of Kyle Clifford made trading Simmonds feasible. You guys had another former King fan favorite in Ian Lapperiere (forgive the poor spelling), and Simmonds reminds me a lot of Lappy.

Looking forward to what Lombardi will do this weekend. Word is Smyth is heading out which I hate to see but his high salary and blah season makes it understandable.

Also, word is Winnipeg has an announcement to make soon. Revealing the new name perhaps?

Lots of rumours about Richards and Carter liking to party and what not. And Richards was getting moodier and more withdrawn with the media. It seemed a done deal that one, likely Carter, would be traded but I was surprised to see both. I think it's one (or two) of those trades that really won't play itself out for a few years.

Most reports and Kings fans projected Schenn to be a Mike Richards type, so it's fitting. Still it's curious the Flyers would trade him if they're gearing up for a cup run. For us Kings fans, it's a signal that the team is getting ready to be taken seriously and make more noise and shed that damn "lowly Kings" slander.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Schenn will turn into a solid NHL'er. Whether he becomes a clone of Richards or exceeds him only time will tell.

Simmonds, when he's on his game, is a great player. Works in the corners, can be relentless chasing down the puck, will stand up for his teammates and drop gloves with anyone. He had a down season this past year, plus the rise of Kyle Clifford made trading Simmonds feasible. You guys had another former King fan favorite in Ian Lapperiere (forgive the poor spelling), and Simmonds reminds me a lot of Lappy.

Looking forward to what Lombardi will do this weekend. Word is Smyth is heading out which I hate to see but his high salary and blah season makes it understandable.

Also, word is Winnipeg has an announcement to make soon. Revealing the new name perhaps?

Good trades for each of the teams. Carter was as good as gone and the return for Richards was right. The Flyers also got out of cap hell with the move. JVR and Giroux will benefit with more quality TOI while added some tremendous stability in net. LA get a top flight center/leader. He'll enjoy not having the media scrutiny that Philly brings. Would love to see a Brown-Richards-Williams line. With Brown-Richards as your #1 PK. YIKES!

Smythe just got moved back to the Oliers for Brule and a 2nd.
Chicago gets out of cap hell by moving Campbell to Florida.
Minnesota trade Burns to SJ for Setoguchi. Fills needs for both those teams.
Dougie Hamilton will be a beast on the Boston blue line. VERY nice pick!

I'm real happy about Hamilton. Wasn't supposed to be around at #9. Unfortunately he won't be the biggest D-Man on his team anymore.:laugh:

Doc.

Not sure why, but the Smyth trade hasn't been completed yet. If the Kings could get Iggy from Calgary that would be awesome but I doubt it would happen.

I'm real happy about Hamilton. Wasn't supposed to be around at #9. Unfortunately he won't be the biggest D-Man on his team anymore.:laugh:

Doc.

I really thought we were going to take Hamilton at 8 because he seemed like the prototypical Flyer.

Not sure why, but the Smyth trade hasn't been completed yet. If the Kings could get Iggy from Calgary that would be awesome but I doubt it would happen.

Apparently Brule was a throw in to the Smyth trade with the plan being for the Kings to buy him out however Brule has to be cleared as healthy by the Drs before he can be bought out and right now there are disagreements (I imagine from Brule's agent) that Brule is not healthy and isn't ready to be put back on the active list and therefore can't be bought out. I doubt his agent cares if Brule is with Edm or LA but doesn't want the buy out to happen. The NHL and the teams are apparently discussing it.

Well, let's see if the ever churning rumor mill is correct today around noon. The latest out of Philly is they're prepared to offer Stamkos a 12 year/115 million dollar offer sheet. They'd have to shed another 3 million in salary just to be able to offer it when the Lightning would be stupid not to match it.

Well, so much for that. Holmgren "tweeted" he wasn't getting into the RFA frenzy.

I wish Doughty would sign with the KINGS already. If he leaves my wife will cry for weeks. I myself would have rather sent him to Jonsey's team and we keep Simmonds and Schenn.

Wait, between Doughty and Simmonds/Schenn you'd rather have Simmonds/Schenn? (not that one has anything to do with the other, seeing as Doughty wasn't involved in the Mike Richards trade). Wow. Schenn will be a solid NHL'er but Doughty has franchise D-man all over him.

Brad Richards signs with NY. Disappointed that he's not coming to LA but whaddya gonna do? NY doesn't learn much from their foibles with high priced FA's, do they? Sather being Sather, I suppose.