• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Horn worms

jbfurdog

image.jpeg Today I have witnessed for the first time a horn worm with parasitic wasp larva/cocoons protruding from its body. What a crazy, weird and amazing sight.

Edit to add photo

I've seen them but never loaded up like that. Pinch the rest in half but let those guys die of consumption. :)

One of the many perils of being a tomato hornworm. Just wondering if the parasitic wasp is common in your area, or if somebody released a bunch? Always great to have some natural predators in the garden. Thanks for the photo!

There were 3 in total all with the cocoons. As far as if the wasps are common here, I don't really know but from what I read they are pretty much everywhere.

As I recall a mixture of soap and water it zap hem suckers. Google is your friend, recommend staying with natural products than going chemical. Keep the love in the environment.

If the horn worm is allowed to morp, it will turn into the Sphinx moth:
images
images

Although, a good number of us do not allow the tomato or tobacco horn worm to get that far, they are beautiful looking moths. Sometimes, due to their size, they can be mistaken for a hummingbird (that is, at a quick glance). Here's more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphingidae