• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

how cold is to cold?

interscape

I bought some yar-gars that have a very faint ammonia odor. This is because they are a little young? I have some pelican containers I have never used and wonder if I could throw some beads in there along with the cigars and put them in the garage beer fridge. Its cold, around 38 degrees. Will these things mellow out over time?

Les

You want to avoid the fridge as it is almost no humidity and it will suck your beads and cgars dry in no time

That was the point of the pelican case it is waterproof/air tight. Will that stop the aging?

I'm confused ???

Why are you wanting to stop the aging process? If you're wanting these to mellow out, then age will do that.

I'm confused ???

Why are you wanting to stop the aging process? If you're wanting these to mellow out, then age will do that.

No, I am confused, thats why I am here. :p

I do not want to stop the aging. I am wondering if being in the cold in a sealed container will stop the aging.

Being at 38 degrees will slow the ageing process down. The one thing that will help them the most is time. Stick them in some old cigar box and put them in those pelican containers along with some beads IMO will work best.

Could be just bad cigars too. What brand are they and how were they stored perviously?

Being at 38 degrees will slow the ageing process down. The one thing that will help them the most is time. Stick them in some old cigar box and put them in those pelican containers along with some beads IMO will work best.

Could be just bad cigars too. What brand are they and how were they stored perviously?

yar-gar from Mr.bundles.com

unknown on the storage.

A buddy of mine got some unknown brand cheap bundle from somewhere and the odor reminded me of the giraffe barn in winter at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Since no one could remember the brand, he nicknamed them zoohibas. He let them set for several months in a tuppadore, airing it out once in a while, and the odor eventually went away and started smelling like tobacco. He tried one a few weeks ago and while not a primo, it was smokeable.

I have a question concerning this also. I put in a pellet stove which means I'm no longer using my central heating. My whole collection is in the basement to keep it cool during the hot summer. I have a midlevel cabinet with approx. 30 boxes being kept at 65% using a Cigar Oasis II. Seeing that no heat will be produced from the central air how cold can these cigars go before adverse effects are apparent? Most are stored in there original boxes. A singles drawer has another 300 in it. Most if not all are higher end.
My only options are to move the humidor upstairs and try to find a place that's not to hot, very difficult. Or put everything in a few large coolers with beads and put in a spare bedroom. Or keep them where they are and deal with the low temps. Now I'm certain it will not freeze, however, it will more than likely get down into the high 40's at worse is that going to be a problem?
Thank you I appreciate any feedback concerning this.
FPKJr

There is not much good evidence for beneficial cigar storage below say 55F. And that is for long, long term storage. We're talking decades. This will mean your cigars will be dryer and colder during storage and will have to be brought up to smoking conditions slowly prior to burning them. IMO, 40F is just too far out of the normal range of conditions for tobacco and moist leaf products to maintain whatever positive characteristics we buy them for.

As to cigars that smell of ammonia. They are improperly or incompletely fermented and if they are yard gars for near term smoking, the way to sort them out is to subject them to warmth at humidity. For example, plenty of 70% beads and someplace warm like 75-85F for a few weeks. You risk hatching beetles but if you want to rid the ammonia, then more heat and humidity are what will accelerate the evaporation of the ammonia and release of other noxious and volatile compounds. Oh, and open the container often to let the free gases escape the container.

Wilkey