• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do they ":show great potential"?

VotTak

A lot of times I can read that cigar was "young but showed great potential".
How does that person know? What to pay attention at?

Example. I love R&Y Ex#4. I tried them from cab 2001, cab 2003, dressbox 2004 and in spite that dress box version was lighter in flavor and more "frutty" than cab version which was very intense in flavour department... all were just amazing.
REcently tried one stick from 2005. And it has horrible taste. like nothing in common with those I tried before! Don't get me wrong... You have that "twang", yes, but it was a bit harsh, no such a flavors as aged version, wel... no pleasure.
So how one would say whether it has a potential or no?

P.S. To be correct it was the question from my "friend from Canada". :p I was just asking question and telling story. :whistling:

IMHO:

Usually this feeling comes to me in larger ring gauge cigars, the flavor is there but the depth is not. It does not cling to the palate for a long time and I want to puff earlier than I think I would otherwise. The smoke does not hold together as cohesive as I think it will when it all mellows.

Also you know that "green" flavor, I find it to be like a bad walnut, It is there but not overpowering and you just figure it is going to go away in a few months. Just like leaves turning in autumn.

YOu know what your looking for and it only hints at it and you are just hoping that all it needs is time.

S,
The only question I have is did you taste those others when they were only a year old or did you try them all in a relatively short time. Age makes a big difference.
I happenned to have two RyJ X4s left from a dress box 00. I substituted them on two peoples' order last month. One said that the only difference he found was that the 00 was a little smoother. The other said that the 00 had a much richer fuller taste. He said he could detect undertones of those flavors in the 05 but they were very light with an overarching roughness. His ending comment was that the 05 had tasted similar to others he had had recently and liked, but after having that 00 they pale in comparison.
Simply put, I guess, is if you can taste some of those flavors you expect in a cigar that young, it shows potential. That's how I felt about the Mag 46s and Edmundos.
FWIW, the experience you had with the RyJ X4s is the same experience I had with the Choix Supremes. I thought they were vile and nasty with none of the honeyed, fruity taste I was expecting. They did have the darkest wrappers I've ever seen on an ERDM. Maybe that had something to do with it. Next time I order that brand, I will definitely ask for light wrappers.

m

M,
I "try them all in a relatively short time". I think that it is just a lack of experience, that I was not able to taste what I was supposed to taste.
Regarding Choix Supremes... After I read what you wrote in your mail... I did not even bother, I just put them in the bottom of the box, altogether with other "miscellaneous from 05"(although I added bands with boxcode to these :p ).
Once I tried Choix Supreme less than year old and was very disappointed. But was told that aged ones were nice and flavorfull.

I think the ability to tell how a cigar will age is a talent that comes only from experience.

I have a box of HDM Short Hoyo Coronas that I bought about 2 years ago. When I bought them, they had an almost sickly sweet taste to them that really overpowered the palate. I was somewhat disappointed and put them in the back of the humidor somewhere.

Now, I've found that the overly sweet taste is gone and these cigars are smoking wonderfully! I never would have thought it from my initial impressions.

LOL! :laugh: I always kind of wondered that too myself VotTak but pyre's point:
I think the ability to tell how a cigar will age is a talent that comes only from experience.
pretty much hits it on the head.

Someone who has a great deal of experience smoking cigars (aged and young) knows what a young cigar will taste like once it has some age on it and can tell you with confidence that it has potential to be a better cigar.

O.K, Another question from us new to ageing.
Once the cigar has peaked from ageing, can it go the other way?
I've heard of cigars getting "sick" after so many years in the humi.

I have had a few that the humidity got too low in the aging process and diminished the flavors but have never noticed properly stored smokes that were good taking a nose dive as they get older. About seven years is the most my smokes will age before meeting a firey death so I have no longterm data.

I think the general concensus is that after 10 years they won't get much better, but I haven't heard anyone say they get worse. Its just a matter of diminishing returns. Aging 3-5 years is almost mandatory for a lot of habanos. 5-10 years they reach their "peak". After 10, they continue to age but you probably couldn't tell much of a difference between a 10 year old stick and a 15 year old stick.

Of course, the longest aged cigar I've ever had was 5-6 years. Most of this is just from what I have read here.

The sick period you mentioned is often associated to young sticks. Usually within 6 months of arrival at your doorstep.

It means "I paid a lot for these cigars, and I'm in denial about how crappy they're smoking." After all, "sick" and "suck" are just a vowel away... :) :)