• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you prepare flake/cake tobacco?

edng

Up to now I've been smoking loose ribbon cut tobacco.

A friend from CF sold me a stack of tins recently . I opened one of them earlier this week ....a McClelland (Christmas Cheer from 95') the stuff looked like beef jerky ( dont know how else to describe how it looks)

I've googled and read about a few ways and tried shredding it by hand and rubbing it vigorously between my palms but I cant seem to get it to the consistency of ribbon cut tobacco.

And also...... it looks and feels drier than ribbon cut despite being in a machine-sealed tin ...... is this the condition i should smoke it in ?

Lastly.... should I shred and keep it for future smoking OR should I shred it only just before I smoke it?

I apologize for these silly questions, I am trying but am still quite clueless..... I've otherwise been smoking Erinmore and Davidoff (reds and blues) which are all ribbon-cut and so much more quicker to pack into a pipe.

First of all, congratulations!! I know some folks who would cheerfully offer their right gonad for a tin of that vintage.

Google Mac Baren Tobacco to find their website and a short presentation on how they recommend
dealing with their flake tobacco. Other folks prefer letting it dry for a while (try 15 minutes in open air and then see how it feels), rubbing it between their palms until it shreds, balling it up and then just placing it in the pipe.... You get the picture; for every flake out there, there's someone with a
sure fire technique for getting it ready for smoking.

Personally, I'd leave it in flake form until you're ready to smoke. That way you preserve your options.

Enjoy!!

leave it in flake form until you are ready to smoke.

you can GENTLY rub them out or just fold, which is my preference, since you
will get a more flavor by not rubbing out.

I've not had much luck rubbing flakes. Fold and stuff works a lot better for me.

Thanks for the advise, everyone.

I've not had much luck rubbing flakes. Fold and stuff works a lot better for me.

tried the folding method too..... but it makes the draw on the pipe a little 'loose'

I like a hybrid approach.

Fold and stuff a bowl around 3/4 full, then rub out a bit of flake and sprinkle that int he bowl, starting with teh larger rubbed-out bits. Finally 'dust' the top of the bowl with the really finely rubbed tobacco. This will kinda act like tender and get the bowl going easier.

But leave it in flakes until you are ready to smoke...

Kinda an old bump here,

I just got my first can of Escudo and would like to give it a shot, but I've never smoke cake before. I read online in the above posts how to prepare 'flake' tobacco, but not the "rings" that are like Escudo or the small pieces of stuff like Christmas cheer.

Can you still "fold" these little pieces and just put them on top of one another?

Thanks for any help!

Escudo is relatively easy to prepare. I just fold one of the rounds in half and rub it out in the palms of my hands, just like you'd warm cold hands in front of a fire. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, don't make pipe smoking any harder than it really is. It's not as difficult as some folks on the internet would have you believe.

Doc.

I bought a hand powered TOBACCO GRINDER on eBay that I use for cake and some flake. A couple of twists and the consistency is great, at least for me.

- Tim

hehe...
I didnt know you need to grind the flake tobacco.
I just put it the pipe without worring about it and start smoking.
Never had any problem with that.