• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How many beers are in your cellar?

Phlicker

also know as @PhillyBeerGuy
This question was posted over on BeerAdvocate.com leading up to the 4th of July holiday weekend. Curious as to how many I actually had hanging around down in the "vice corner" of my basement next to my wine and cigars, I spent a better part of the rainy 4th making an Excel spreadsheet. My wife happened to look over my shoulder as I was getting close to the end. She nearly fainted: 380. That number's been fluctuating as I've been drinking some of the summer beers down and adding some new long-term additions to the collection (Stone 12th is the most recent). With that said I was curious as to how large the collections of my beer-loving cigar brethren were. We've all seen pics of Justin's cellar (very nicely organized, by the way). How 'bout the rest of you? Is your beer "habit" as bad as your cigar?

Holy moly, 380 beers?? God forbid I ever get into "collecting" beer. I was a fairly avid scotch collector some time back and once I started with cigars, it was one or the other. So, no more scotch buys with the exception of one or two bottles in the past year, just a LOT OF CIGARS! :laugh: I actually bought one bottle of Monty Python's Holy GrALE not long ago. That was my first purchase of an "expensive" bottle of beer (was $3.89 for one pint...wow). I have to say it was very good. Next time there's a beer buy on here, I may just jump in (ugh...probably with both feet) and see what happens.

Currently, I have 0 beers. :blush: May change....soon.

Very nice Mike, I am afraid to actually put it in writing. A couple of the locals might see it and use it against me!

BTW, Justin blames his addiction on me, although I refuse to accept credit. Did you collect all of those since my last visit? If so, you didn't waste any time bro!

Greg, we'd be happy to have you join our little obsessive compulsive clan. If you're ever interested in trying some craft brews, I'm sure the guys here could hook you up. Be forewarned, however: a great majority of them are going to be much more than $3.89/pint.

Don't be afraid, Jonas. I'd actually be interested in seeing how bad you have the sickness (If you want to see my list I'd be happy to send it to you). What could people possibly use it against you for? And yes, every beer in the "collection" has been added since your last visit. The beer I did have when you were here has long since been drank. Actually, most of it has been purchased since February. Is that bad?

Funny thing is although I did not see that post on BA, I did spend part of the 4th of July weekend doing so reorganizing and drinking of beer myself. I am no where near any of you guys but it is around 150-175...

Btw Mike, and Jonas are also jointly responsible for my number of beers to be where it is. :laugh: :thumbs:

Greg, we'd be happy to have you join our little obsessive compulsive clan. If you're ever interested in trying some craft brews, I'm sure the guys here could hook you up. Be forewarned, however: a great majority of them are going to be much more than $3.89/pint.

Ah yeah...the OC is me! :laugh: Holy crap...much more than $3.89? I...am....doomed! :whistling:

Ah yeah...the OC is me! :laugh: Holy crap...much more than $3.89? I...am....doomed! :whistling:
Well, probably not MUCH more...most of the beers that tend to fly around here retail for $6-$10 per 22 oz. bottle, which works out to $0.27 - $0.45 per ounce (on AVERAGE...I realize many are more and many are less...don't arrest me, Math Police...), so if you figure on a pint at 16 oz., it's like $4.30 - $7.20 per.

I'm a little scared to count...

It will be at least one less here shortly though. :D

don't forget I put out this ms access db to keep your cigar, beer and wine inventory...feel free to check it out

I also have another version, with the help of Alan, who modified it for Pipes and Tobacco Inventory. I haven't had the chance to combine the 2 but when I do i will make it available for everyone.

EDITed: spelling

don't forget I put out this ms access db to keep your cigar, beer and wine inventory...feel free to check it out

I also have another version, with the help of Alan, who modified it for Pipes and Tobacco Inventory. I haven't had the chance to combine the 2 but when I do i will make it available for everyone.

EDITed: spelling
I'll have to check it out! Though for we Mac users, Access isn't always "Accessible" ;)

I am down to 5 beers in my cellar..Ha, just learning about them actually never been a beer guy but learning whats out there and what I should try.

I am down to 5 beers in my cellar..Ha, just learning about them actually never been a beer guy but learning whats out there and what I should try.
Hang around a little bit...we'd be happy to show you the ropes!

It becomes even scarier when numbers like this apply to a wine collection. CellarTracker shows that I have 141 bottles and 17 pending devilery, which is small compared to some collections, but, damn, these hobbies are expensive... :0 :angry:

Well if you want to talk wine collection then I have a scary number. As for beer, still not sure what to drink although Justin has helped that one a little bit.

Well if you want to talk wine collection then I have a scary number. As for beer, still not sure what to drink although Justin has helped that one a little bit.

It's funny that my collection is both very modest and stupidly big at the same time. It just depends whether it is being considered by a wino or non-wino. :laugh:

I've never thought of people having a consumable beer collection. How long will the average beer last if you really do plan on drinking it and not just have sitting on a shelf?

Learning should be fairly easy for you, there are some great breweries very close to you, and they pretty much cover the spectrum for beer styles!
I think if I count the beer in inventory, I might make 50-75, a drop in the bucket compared to some of you guys!

I've never thought of people having a consumable beer collection. How long will the average beer last if you really do plan on drinking it and not just have sitting on a shelf?

Everything in my cellar is there for the purpose of eventually being drank. Many styles of beer benefit from aging, some as long as 10+ years.