• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much does that cigar REALLY cost?

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
There is generally a 10% federal tax on all cigar purchases, added to the list price in all states. The info below was collected from non-government sites, so it could be off a little. I found lots of discrepancies. Some of the states listed may be more that what I show here.

Thanks to democracy, your state government adds the following.

In the SUCKS to smoke cigars here category! GOD help us if these states subpoena the Internet sellers!

Alaska 75% Wholesale
Washington 75% Wholesale
Minnesota 70% Wholesale
Oregon 65% Wholesale
Montana 50% Wholesale
California 46.76% Wholesale
Vermont 41% Wholesale
Colorado 40% List
Hawaii 40% Wholesale
Idaho 40% Wholesale
Rhode Island 40% Wholesale

Better, but not there yet...

New York 37% Wholesale
Utah 35% List
Arkansas 32% List
Michigan 32% Wholesale
Massachusetts 30% List
Nevada 30% Wholesale
New Jersey 30% Wholesale
North Dakota 28% Wholesale
Wisconsin 25% List
New Mexico 25% Wholesale
Iowa 22% Wholesale
Nebraska 20% List
Connecticut 20% Wholesale
Louisiana 20% Wholesale
Maine 20% Wholesale
Wyoming 20% Wholesale

I can live with this

Illinois 18% List
Ohio 17% Wholesale
Mississippi 15% List
Delaware 15% Wholesale
Indiana 18% Wholesale
Maryland 15% Wholesale
Georgia 23% Wholesale
Kansas 10% Wholesale
Missouri 10% Wholesale
South Dakota 10% Wholesale
Virginia 10% Wholesale
Kentucky 7.5% Wholesale
West Virginia 7% Wholesale
Tennessee 6.6% Wholesale

Lands of milk, honey, and Fuente bitches

South Carolina 5% Wholesale
North Carolina 3% Wholesale
Alabama 4 to 40 cents per
Oklahoma 12 to 120 cents
Arizona 13 to 64 cents per
Texas 1 to 15 cents per

The promised lands...

New Hampshire None
Pennsylvania None
D.C. None
Florida None

Edit: corrected Fed and Georgia.
corrected Neb, Indiana, NC, OK (all went UP)

Yep, moved from Tobacco Country (NC) to beauracratic country (NJ).
Watched a college girl pay 5.50 for a pack of cigs up here. Made me realize what a rip off this state is.

Believe me when I tell you, this must be the only thing PA is doing better than other states - Our state Govt is a joke

Good thing California's Governator can't tax Sunshine (directly), otherwise I'd be back in Connecticut. Ugh. :(

That list is very old, or put together by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. This is word for word from my library.

U.S. Code Collection Volume 8-31-05
Title 26> subtitle e> chapter 52> subchapter a> 5701

5701. Rate of Tax

a: Cigars manufactured in or imported into The United States, there shall be imposed the following taxes

(1) Small Cigars

On cigars, weighing not more than 3 pounds per thousand, $1.828 per thousand.

(2) Large Cigars

On cigars weighing more than 3 pounds per thousand, a tax equal to 20.719 percent of the price for which sold but not more than $48.75 per thousand.

Many of the States are also wrong, for instance Georgia is 23%

Al

That list is very old, or put together by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. This is word for word from my library.

U.S. Code Collection Volume 8-31-05
Title 26> subtitle e> chapter 52> subchapter a> 5701

5701. Rate of Tax

a: Cigars manufactured in or imported into The United States, there shall be imposed the following taxes

(1) Small Cigars

On cigars, weighing not more than 3 pounds per thousand, $1.828 per thousand.

(2) Large Cigars

On cigars weighing more than 3 pounds per thousand, a tax equal to 20.719 percent of the price for which sold but not more than $48.75 per thousand.

Many of the States are also wrong, for instance Georgia is 23%

Al

I've corrected GA, thank you. Which others are incorrect please?

Next time you visit your B&M, please remember to bring a scale and a calculator and let me know if you give a shit how far off the 10% exise tax is. :sign:

I didn't see Akhmed Muhammad at the local Hajj shop on there. Curious as to what he adds.

But it's good to know that once I get back to Illinois I'll be decent.

One can look here for an easy to view chart on the state by state listing.

As far as the feds go, I would think that this is a good place to look for info. This shows a $.04 or $.05 per 20 tax. Does anybody have a link for the 10% rate? (Not picking at you Null, just trying to get the right info :) )

Anyway you look at it, my state (MN) sucks the big one and they're trying to get more all the time. If tobacco is so awful that we have to tax it so high that people can't buy it why not just make it illegal? We all know the answer to that and the states should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting and discriminating against a certain segment of the population. A bunch of tight assed busy-bodies telling others how to live their lives. F'em all!

Idaho is correct at 40%... which is why most of my purchases are done on line. :(

Washington and Oregon seem accurate as well, at least since the last time I checked about a year ago.

California is trying to impose another 128% tax on top of the already high tobacco tax...let's all watch the revenue fall as people buy more and more online! That's what happened to Washington state...it was 120% 6 months ago until they lowered it to 75% because no one bought in the state.

-Fetter

Back