• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much is that cigar?

Burnt Tongue

No Tastebuds...
How much is that cigar, each I mean. Does the price influence the smoking experience? Shouldn't a more expensive cigar taste better then a cheaper cigar? So when I'm smokin a $25 cigar am I trying to make the taste more then it is so I don't feel like I was cheated. :0

I hear alot of talk of pricy stiks on this board. Some of these stiks are so expensive it would not occur for me to buy one. :blush:

My wife and I own a timeshare in the carribbean :cool: and have for 15 years. I have had almost every standard ISOM out there. :sign: Frankly I don't get the hoopla, I like Dom's and Nic's better ;) . I think for the most part ISOM's are harsh, bitter tasting and lack any special flavor. :p Maybe pre-embargo's were better, I was to young to smoke cigars at that time so I will never know. ???

It seems to me if you are a real cigar smoker(more than 1 a day) you would be looking to find the cheapest cigar with the most flavor. I don't hear much of that here at least in my short time. I think that I hear that expensive cigars automatically taste best (maybe I'm wrong). :blush:

So I have a few qustions: :D

1. How much is a good cigar?
2. How do I trade with someone who smokes $15, $20, and $25 stiks?
3. Should I be embarassed that a good stik in my humi is $10 (and damn few)?
4. How much was the best cigar you smoked? name?
5. How much was the most expensive cigar you smoked? name?
6. Am I cheap?
7. Are these stupid questions?

Maybe I'm gettin old, maybe I smoke to much, maybe my tastebuds are shot. Maybe I'm just an awhole. But here are my answers. :rolleyes:

1. $5
2. I don't.
3. No
4. $5, Bock y ca perfecto minor - old enough for significant bloom.
5. $40, an ISOM @ The Atlantis Hotel - some R&J it was bad.
6. I didn't think so.
7. Probably!

Just thought I might meet a BOTL who thiks like me. :)

1. $4 to $7 on average for a every day smoke
2. I do
3. No
4. Too hard to answer, Davidoff 100th Anni was the best so far this year.
5. 35 Euro for a 8 year old Cohiba Esplendidos, it was awesome.
6. No but I don't spend over my limit.
7. No the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.

I'm with you $4 to $8 works for me

Water seeks its own level. In the last year, I've done bunches of trades, splits, and buys. If I were looking for that kind of transaction, I know where to find it.

Depends on how vain you are. When I have a guest, I want to present him my best. I have some really specal cigars that only I will smoke, some specials that will wind up gifts. Am I ashamed that 3/4 of my collection cost about $1.50 or less? Hell no.

The best cigar is the one you remember. Cigardawg and I HERFed while he was in Denver last March. He presented me an unbanded vitola that I can still taste. An ISOM, I presume. That much I can't remember.

Smoked? Cohiba Siglo VI. I'm considering a 2nd mortgage to buy more.

6. Am I cheap?
Hell yes!

Nah, I don't think so. Are we stupid for answering? I don't care.

That's like asking "how much is a nice car?". What you can afford and personal taste have a lot to do with it. If you could smoke Anejo's / OpusX / Padron Anni's every day, wouldn't you? If you can't taste the difference, wouldn't that be kind of dumb..??

Be honest and open. Tell them what you'd like to trade for and what you have to offer. Don't be offended if they decline. Complete your trades in a timely manner. Say "thank you" privately or publically.

Like the Smurf says, it depends on how vain you are. Should I be embarassed that I drive a VW and my wife drives a new BMW? It depends if you smoke for the love of the leaf and the enjoyment of the experience or to impress the neighbors.

"Best" cigar I've ever smoked covers a lot of turf. I'm thinking of a number of warm, summer nights outside on the deck with a beverage and a great smoke. They run the range from Padron 2000's with a year on them to the "high end" stuff; Opies, Anejo's, ISOM's, etc. So, I guess that covers the range from $3.00 - $30.00

Sticks from Chateau Fuente in Vegas. The smokes cost me about $25.00 and another $1800.00 or so for me and my wife to get to Vegas.... :p

6. Am I cheap?
Are you..?? If you smoke "inexpensive" smokes because you really can't taste the difference, I'd say probably not. But, if you don't try to cultivate your palate and broaden your horizons, you're missing out on a whole dimension of smoking that a lot of folks really enjoy.

Right up there.... :laugh: Maybe a better question is - are we stupid for answering them.....

Regards - B.B.S.

Someone here, I'm not sure who, has in their signature, "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." That's all that matters. If you enjoy a cigar that just happens to be $3 you win.

[quote name='fenian'98' post='376060' date='Oct 6 2006, 09:23 AM']
Someone here, I'm not sure who, has in their signature, "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." That's all that matters. If you enjoy a cigar that just happens to be $3 you win.
[/quote]

I have to agree with fenian. If you enjoy a $3 smoke more than a $10 smoke, contrats! But, I also believe that "most" expensive sticks are priced that way because they are good to most smokers and it's what the market will bear.

Ken

Damn, B.B.S., helluvan answer! Very well said. :thumbs:

Since you've already covered the "teaching" answers, I'm going to just answer from my own perspective.

I've smoked cigars that I would consider "good" priced from $2.25-$15. I find that solidly "good" cigars are in the range of $2.25-$8.00. More generally, "goodness" is a value judgment applied to a cigar smoking experience retrospectively. As I finish a stick, if I can say that it was a "good" smoke, then it counts as such.

What B.B.S. said.

If you are, then perhaps you want to reflect upon what it is that motivates you in this hobby. My shoot from the hip answer is "hell no!" Vanity is certainly one factor that heightens the sense of shame. Experience and the confidence to trust in one's own taste and judgment are factors which mitigate this sense of embarrasment.

Objectively the best cigar I've smoked was probably...hell, I can't remember. I do know that "best" smokes pop up on almost a weekly basis. :D

Probably $300. It was one cigar from a box of fakes from one of my earliest experiences buying Habanos years ago. Smoked it and chucked the rest. As for a real or good cigar, it'd be the Taboada Doble Robusto at a hair under $30 IIRC.

6. Am I cheap?
Be proud of the ability to seek and discern value wherever pleasure lies.

Yes! Now shut the hell up and go smoke a cigar, dammit! ;P

Wilkey

Anywhere from 3 to 100+ dollars (but not all cigars in that range are good)

As has been mentioned, be honest. You might find someone who is willing to work out some kind of equitable trading ratio.

No.

Best is kinda subjective.

The two I've enjoyed most for their quality were a Don Carlos Lancero and a particularly fine example of a Cohiba Siglo IV (my hand to God, it tasted like s'mores). The Don Carlos was purchased through a charity auction/sale, and "cost" somewhere around $50. The Siglo IV was purchased from the UK (before I knew better), and was probably around $20 (would be more now because of the weaker dollar).

I've also enjoyed many far less expensive cigars just as much because of the situtation or time in my life in which they were smoked.

Probably the aforementioned Don Carlos Lancero. I own a couple that cost more that I'm saving for the right moment, whenever it occurs.

6. Am I cheap?

Nope.

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answerers. :D

Now, a couple of observations -

1. You mentioned that you haven't liked the Cubans that you've smoked. And that they were largely from the Bahamas. One of three things is happening:

A. You've smoked poorly kept or young cigars.
B. Most of what you've smoked is fake. The Bahamas are rife with counterfeits.
C. You just plain don't like Cuban tobacco.

It could be any of those 3. I'd say the first two are the most likely, but you never know. It really is all subjective. Try as I might, I've never really been able to enjoy a Padron Anniversary. They're among the finest cigars in production today, but there's a cloying sweetness about them that I just don't like.

2. Shopping around is a good idea. Prices on many different cigars vary widely depending on who you buy them from. Prices of some cigars in England are more than double those elsewhere. To a lesser extent, the same goes for merchants in the US. Some price fairly, and some just plain gouge.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :)

So I have a few qustions: :D

6. Am I cheap?

1. Several $5 smokes out there that I would call good, but to get consistently good smokes $7.50 give or take 2 bucks. I look for a daily smoke to cost less that $10.
2. That's between you and the person you are trading with.
3. No.
4. This question is difficult to answer. Personally I feel that the cigar is only 50% of the experience. I smoke a cigar almost every day but the ones I remember are usually ones where I make it into an occasion. Like when you’re in a hammock on a beach and you have all the time in the world.
5. The most expensive cigar(s) I have had (so far) was a complete Zino Crown Crib.
6. No
7. Not at all..

1. You mentioned that you haven't liked the Cubans that you've smoked. And that they were largely from the Bahamas. One of three things is happening:

A. You've smoked poorly kept or young cigars.
B. Most of what you've smoked is fake. The Bahamas are rife with counterfeits.
C. You just plain don't like Cuban tobacco.

It could be any of those 3. I'd say the first two are the most likely, but you never know. It really is all subjective. Try as I might, I've never really been able to enjoy a Padron Anniversary. They're among the finest cigars in production today, but there's a cloying sweetness about them that I just don't like.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :)

I would say that I am in the same boat when it comes to Burnt Tongue's observations on the ISOM. While my experience in these sought after sticks is not extensive, I believe that this is the case because I choose to not actively persue them. I have had numerous gifts that I partake in as to not insult or seem ungreatful for the gift from a friend. I have found my personal taste to prefer the Dominican grown and rolled, with an occasional Niq. While I hope that my taste will grow, I fear that just as growing up in St. Louis tends to lead you down a life of drinking Bud products, starting off my smoking experience with a box of AF 858 Naturals, has predisposed me to a lifelong love of the Fuente Leaf. And I'm OK with that. :D :D

The masters have taught you so I will spare you my insight.

$2-$15

2. How do I trade with someone who smokes $15, $20, and $25 sticks?
Approach them with a trade idea and hope they like it. Or put 200 dogsticks in the mail in return for 1 Anejo #48, 1 xXx, 1 PAM, 1 Moontrance cutter and an autographed picture of Wilkey.

Not at all. For me personally, part of this hobby is finding and aquiring rare sticks. Not sure why but there is a rush that goes with making that great buy or find. That being said, there are some damn fine 10$ sticks out there.

So far it is the Padron 1926 #9 and it was around $20.

See previous answer.

6. Am I cheap?
Who cares. Enjoy it. Smoke what you what, when you want, and who gives a shit what others think.

Do most people hate the Yankees? :p

$7 and up.
I don't either
Not a bit. I can't say that myself. I've got maybe 3 like that!
maybe $5 CAO Extreme Maduro - tasted like cocoa with a kick.
Ashton VSG probably - $10-12
6. Am I cheap?
Yep, I'm from Alabama - we didn't invent spotlighting deer for fun. Bullets cost money!
No stupid questions only stupid people.

I don't equate price with quality. Hell connies are dirt cheap but look at the price of their firsts! If I feel like i'm gonna equate taste with quality of a smoke I'll take the band off, put it in a drawer, put the stogie in a baggie and let it sit for a month. Then come back, smoke it, and see. If it tastes like crap to me then it won't matter what band is on it. I'll look in the drawer and voila! No more of that cigar. If it was good that's great, but at least I'll know that i'm not giving it a chance just because I feel obligated to.

Ferrari's are nice cars, but my fat ass fits much better in my 91' Wrangler and it can clear a curb!

I have had good one's that are $1 and good ones that are $20 and everything in between...

Post a list of the sticks you would like to trade so we can match up...if you are interested someone might do a 5 for 1 deal if you want expensive one..

No. Who cares what other people think. If you enjoy smoking them than they are priceless IMO. My humi is for storage not a display to show off. I regularly by boxes and 5er's from CI/Cbid that work out to around $2/stick. One of my personal favs is the IT Super Fuerte Maduro.

Ashton VSG. $11.

Partagas 160. $20. Not worth it at all.

6. Am I cheap?
If you are smoking cigars to try and impress people than probably yes. If you are smoking for the enjoyment/relaxation than no...you are getting that from less expensive smokes.

No not at all. There are a lot people out there that only care about what others think (e.g., the people on cbid that bid $50 for an Opus). IMO life is far too short to play that game.

There is no value and besides, taste is subjective.

Wrap a $20 note around a $5 cigar :laugh:

No, sad!

Cannot put a price to this or a best.

The next one I smoke. ;)

6. Am I cheap?
I don't sell myself on street corners if that's what you mean ???

You need to answer that!

On a side note - IMO, if you do not like the taste of ISOM's, you haven't smoked any. ;)

As much as you paid for it. There is no formula.

The same way you conduct the rest of your life: with honor and integrity.

Not at all. Are you embarassed that your boat cost less than the neighbors'?

It was free. My best friend bought 2 and gave me one as a gift. We smoked them on the end of a fishing pier in south Florida overlooking the ocean. I don't know what it was, but it was the best cigar I've ever had.

I'm not sure. I guess it would be the $25 Padron 40th Anniversary.

6. Am I cheap?
I don't know you well enough to answer. I'm not cheap, but I'm frugal. ;)

If you have to ask...;)

Don't be so hung up on price. Like others have said, smoke what you like. Nobody here is going to judge you based on the price of the cigars you smoke, we have all kinds here.

Cigars are purely luxury items. You get from them what YOU get from them. If you like cheaper smokes, fine. Only you can gauge the proper amount for you to spend on the pursuit of that enjoyment. There is little utilitarian value in cigars, therefore it is difficult to put a cost analysis on them.

Paul,

My simple response to answer (hopefully) all of your questions is this...

"Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke!"

It's that simple. :)

Taste is subjective to each person. What tastes great to one might taste like crap to another.

A true cigar lover smokes what he/she likes regardless of price. Although I have many more expensive cigars (more than $2 a stick), I smoke several cigars under $2 per stick that I enjoy much more than the majority of the so-called premium cigars.

Many cigar smokers smoke what their budget will support, often saving the more expensive smokes for special occassions. Others who can afford it smoke nothing but premium cigars with premium prices. The cost of what you smoke really makes no difference as long as you receive some pleasure or gratification from smoking it. :thumbs:

Anyone who trashes what you like to smoke, or you for smoking it is no Brother of the Leaf (BOTL) as far as I am concerned. It is nothing but an example of extremely poor taste for anyone to do that.

Good natured ribbing does not count. :laugh: It is my understanding that a certain BOTL here likes the CAO Moontrance quite a bit. :whistling:

I like those bourbon dipped cheroots...Ramrods I think they're called! I'm seeking therapy for it. Not for the smoke, but for the fact that technically I have smoked a ramrod...BAHAAHAHAHAAHA :)

Well, I'm not going to go through each and every question with an answer, but cigars are not supposed to be a overly expensive hobby. The pictures and posts of rare cigars are not meant to make CP out to be "Snobbish", but rather share a "good score". I like to think that most reviews and views on the more elusive and rare cigars help us live vicariously through a shared experience.

Cigars are too damn expensive to begin with and I think one of the best cigars that I ever smoked was a Padron Fuma. Cheap scrap tobacco from the production line cigar.

At best, a higher price tag might make the cigar taste worse than if it were gifted to you because you expect more out of a $20+ cigar than you would a $2.00 stick.

2. How do I trade with someone who smokes $15, $20, and $25 sticks?
Approach them with a trade idea and hope they like it. Or put 200 dogsticks in the mail in return for 1 Anejo #48, 1 xXx, 1 PAM, 1 Moontrance cutter and an autographed picture of Wilkey.

Signified!!! :laugh:

Damn man... coke out the nose and all over the keyboard!

I like those bourbon dipped cheroots...Ramrods I think they're called! I'm seeking therapy for it. Not for the smoke, but for the fact that technically I have smoked a ramrod...Yuuuuuuuuuuum :)

Hey now,

Isn't suckin' on a Ramrod a little worse that lighting up the occasional Moonie? I think Stew should become the new focus of attention here. :whistling:

Wilkey

Back