• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to lower the RH?

jepe

Mu coolidor always keep the RH at 68%-71%.
Thats way too high.
I dont have any water source in it and no beads.
Its almost full with boxes.
Any idea how to lower the RH to 60% ?

Uncharged beads should help get the levels right as they work both ways. This is assuming your hydrometer is calibrated.

Beads, UNSCENTED kitty litter crystals, or just open your humi on a dry day and let some of the moisture out.

ETA Yes, make sure your hygro is not off before you start messing with your RH

Assuming your hydrometer is accurate, where do you keep the cooler. I have mine in the basement and in the summer even with 65% beads almost all white the humidity will creep up to 70%. I usually run a dehumidifier, but since it's unfinished I only run it at night when the electric rates are cheap. When the humidity gets too high I'll leave to cooler open and run the dehumidifier for a few hours and that brings it back down. Maybe just adding some dry beads will be enough to bring it down depending on where it's located.

I keep it in my room.
The humidity where I live is very high almost all year long.
I will try some dry beads and see if that will work.
Too bad I didnt know they work both ways,because I had 1 pound of them and gave them away.
In the meantime I'll test my hygro again to see if still accurate.
Thanks all.

Mine is the same way I just added the 65% Beads and its holding at 71%?????been two days now, So im gonna leave the door open over night to let it dry out?

Regarding the dehumidification of a large cigar storage device:

Here is an effective manual technique that you can use any time your RH stubbornly stays higher than you desire. Obtain 2 containers with screw on lids that will fit in your coolerdor/wineador (*dor). Fill them with water and freeze them solid in your refrigerator freezer (leave a bit of room at the top for expansion, so the bottle keeps its shape): I use (2) one quart gatorade bottles. Place them one at a time in your *dor, sitting in a bowl, with a folded towel under the bowl. The water vapor will condense on the exterior walls of the bottle, run down the bottle and pool in the bowl. Swap the bottles out every 12 hours (between *dor and freezer) and toss the condensate after measuring the volume. If you have a fan in your *dor, run it during this process. You will soon learn to correlate removed condensate volume to %RH reduction. I use this technique in my unit with great success whenever the RH stays above 65%. It works very well, no need to purchase any equipment (such as a mini dehumidifier), and I always love a simple, practical solution that uses the laws of physics to solve a problem. This process can remove 1 cup of condensate in 4-5 days from my *dor.

wescat
That seems like a lot of work man :laugh:

I did test my hygro and its calibrate.
I guess I'll open it up to let some of the moisture out every couple of days.

wescat
That seems like a lot of work man :laugh:

I did test my hygro and its calibrate.
I guess I'll open it up to let some of the moisture out every couple of days.

jepe all you need is what I've been using for years is called damprid
wall mart ,home depot etc....

15.jpg

http://www.damprid.com/