• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Toro (ISOM)

bimmer635csi

Too noob to mention!
My first smoke since joining this board. It was very nice.

I went to my favorite restaurant that is friendly to cigar smokers and had a fabulous steak for dinner.

Afterwards, I proceeded to watch the end of the Seahawks game and the first two quarters of the Jacksonville / Pittsburgh game while I smoked this cigar. I had been holding on to it for about 2 years, so it was well seasoned.

QUICK:
Great taste after 1/4" ash developed
Scotch, Bourbon with Coffee, Hazelnut background
Not straight burning all the time, but easy to recover

DETAILED:
On the initial light up, I was a little disappointed.

But after some ash grew, it completely changed into a very nice smoke. I'm no professional reviewer, but here is the short summary:

After the initial poo-poo taste, it changed into a nice, very old Scotch taste (you know, the stuff aged so long it is almost black).

There was a light coffee taste in the background (but that could be from the iced tea I was drinking).

As the ash grew longer it remained very pleasant and mild. Then I got kind of excited when Jacksonville got a second interception in a row and the first ashes fell off. I didn't recognize this and took a haul and it was very sharp contrast to the smoothness of the haul before the ash fell. My conclusion, short ashes on this cigar make for a short wait until about 1/4" of ash develops.

After this, the taste switched from an old Scotch to more of a sharp bourbon taste. Also very nice. As I paid more attention and the ash grew again, I started picking up a background that reminded me of hazelnut. It was very light though and complemented the overall taste very well.

Then I was talking to someone for a short spell and the bugger went cold. So I blew out through it a couple of times, knocked the ash off, and relit. Wow, it was really nice this time with the short ash and the nut flavor seemed more pronounced.

I smoked this one so far down, I had to take the band off for fear of it burning and it was pretty nice the whole time.

It was not the most even burning cigar I've ever smoked. But it was easily recovered with a little moisture at the fast burn zone.

If you like the mild type flavors, I suggest this one if you come across it.

Cheers,
Chris