• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification Beads vs. Solution

wilmotrogers

WilmotRogers
First of all, hello to everyone.

I have been reading the boards here religously for the past week and a half, and have come across many topics involving beads. In the past, I have used the humidification solution to maintain relative 70%. I just upgraded to a digital hygrometer from the CP shop and have found that my humidor (approx. 50 count) has been hovering around 70-71%. Until I started to read the board, I thought 70% was ideal, however I am now learning that 65% is more ideal. Should I go ahead and order the 65% beads from Viper, and disregard the usage of the solution? Or can I finish out the solution, and then order the beads? I guess my root question is whether or not there is any risk in maintaining a 70% RH.

Also, I took advantage of the $15 special from CI that was posted on this site, and got my package in the mail yesterday. While I am sure this is a simple question, I want to pose it as you guys obviously know more than me. The humidor that came with it is by no means great, nor is my 50 count mentioned above. However, as long as it maintains either the 65-70% RH, is there any downside to using smaller, inexpensive humidors rather than upgrading to something larger. My gut feeling is that as long as it maintains RH, there is no need to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Should I go ahead and order the 65% beads from Viper,

yes.

Longer answer: There is no harm in using the solution, and none at keeping your cigars at 70%. SOme guys like cigars at 70, some 65, some 58%!
I like them right aroung 63-65. My smoknig buddy at work likes 70. And even over this huge rift in belief systems, we are still friendly!

First of all, hello to everyone.

I have been reading the boards here religously for the past week and a half, and have come across many topics involving beads. In the past, I have used the humidification solution to maintain relative 70%. I just upgraded to a digital hygrometer from the CP shop and have found that my humidor (approx. 50 count) has been hovering around 70-71%. Until I started to read the board, I thought 70% was ideal, however I am now learning that 65% is more ideal. Should I go ahead and order the 65% beads from Viper, and disregard the usage of the solution? Or can I finish out the solution, and then order the beads? I guess my root question is whether or not there is any risk in maintaining a 70% RH.

Also, I took advantage of the $15 special from CI that was posted on this site, and got my package in the mail yesterday. While I am sure this is a simple question, I want to pose it as you guys obviously know more than me. The humidor that came with it is by no means great, nor is my 50 count mentioned above. However, as long as it maintains either the 65-70% RH, is there any downside to using smaller, inexpensive humidors rather than upgrading to something larger. My gut feeling is that as long as it maintains RH, there is no need to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes.

or

Yes.

No.

Yes. - room!

I can for one say that the bead are absolutely awesome. In the long run it is alot cheaper than using solution because all you need is a 99c gallon of distilled water plus the beads, plus the beads tend to work faster, because of the incredible amount of surface area that is in contanct with the air. I use the 65% beads for my 50 ct humidor, and i love it.

I am by no means an expert as I have only a few cigars in a smaller cooler. I have used humidification solution and then got the 65% beads after hearing about them. Personally I ditched the solution because the beads are so great. I never have a problem staying at 65%.

Michael

The beads will work fine.

I use kitty litter that I conditioned myself (4 pounds for $8) to maintain humidity but I also temporarily add a container of PG/water solution when I need to compensate for large perturbations such as a new box or more than 8-10 sticks added at a time.

Wilkey

The appeal of the beads for me was that I'm not able to keep the humidors in an environment that's terribly controlled. The temperature fluctuates and the humidity can adjust very quickly, faster than I can keep on it alot of times.

Past having them adding, I tend to double the volume of beds I have in there and leave one of the humidifiers unmaintained to act as a soak if it gets over 70%.

I use the old Climmax beads in my cooler. These are very similar to the ones that Viper sells. I highly recommend the beads. If you're looking to humidify a small area, you may want to check out the Humidifier Jars:
humjar.jpg

All you do is add distilled water once the gel shrinks to a certain level. Adding the distilled water rehydrates the gel. I've used the jar as well, and it works great.

http://www.cigarpass.com/store/humidifiers.htm

Both products are excellent.