• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification questions

Matty_Vegas

Wayne Newton Mafia Boss
I can't seem to keep my humidity stable....I whipe it down and soak the regulator and it keeps for a few days but slowly drys out???

help?

Matty_Vegas said:
I can't seem to keep my humidity stable....I whipe it down and soak the regulator and it keeps for a few days but slowly drys out???

help?
[snapback]178985[/snapback]​
what exactly are you using as a humidifier?
what size box are you trying to humidify?
how long has the box been set up?
how many cigars (if any) are in the box?
have you salt tested your hygrometer?
have you tested the seals on the box?
how often (if at all) are you opening the box?

puffnstuff said:
Matty_Vegas said:

help?
[snapback]178994[/snapback]​

I have a Beautiful Promethus Humidifier
I would say it holds about 100 smokes or so
The box has been set up for about 5 months
There is about 15 cigars in the box
salt test?..my hygrometer is digital
how do you test the seals??
I open the box every other day or so..

I have been using a locker at my local smokeshop to keep my cigars in now for a few years...so humidors are pretty forgein to me. I wanted to be able to keep some on hand...what I have been doing is whenever the humidity gets low in it..I wet down sides and soak the black box thingy with the spongey doohickey inside of it (Humidor newbie lol)

I suck

Matty_Vegas said:
puffnstuff said:
Matty_Vegas said:

help?
[snapback]178994[/snapback]​

I have a Beautiful Promethus Humidifier
I would say it holds about 100 smokes or so
The box has been set up for about 5 months
There is about 15 cigars in the box
salt test?..my hygrometer is digital
how do you test the seals??
I open the box every other day or so..

I have been using a locker at my local smokeshop to keep my cigars in now for a few years...so humidors are pretty forgein to me. I wanted to be able to keep some on hand...what I have been doing is whenever the humidity gets low in it..I wet down sides and soak the black box thingy with the spongey doohickey inside of it (Humidor newbie lol)

I suck
[snapback]179003[/snapback]​

hehe. You don't suck. We all need help now and then. ;)

Doesn't sound like your humidor is the problem to me, being a promethus.

15 cigars in a 100-cigar humidor is pretty bare, relatively speaking. you're asking your humidifier to account for a lot of empty space, which they can do, if you never open your box. Assuming your hygrometer is accurate, you'd see much more RH stability the more full your box is.

Oh yes, definitely do salt test your digital hygrometer. Believe me, it's not uncommon enough for them to read RH 5% (or more) too high or low.

Testing the seals can be done (if you don't have a glass-top) by taking your box into a dark environment and setting a flashlight inside the box to check if you can see any light escaping through the seams. Or just feel the way the lid closes. Does it make that nice "whooosh" sound when the air is escaping under the pressure of it being closed?

You shouldn't have to wet down the sides or refill the humidifier too often once the box stabilizes. Again, filling the box with cigars will help, as they'll act as a buffer.

another way to test the seal I was told is use a dollar bill. Set it in the seal, and close the lid. the bill should not slid out completely easy... should need a little effort to pull it thru. Do it on all 4 sides (might be hard on the hinge side depending on the hinge...)

Worked will for me-

Gotta ask

Distilled water right? And PG solution?

Do what I did...great advice given from Joe on this board.

Place the humi inside a cooler, with a bowl of distilled inside the humi (keep the lid open) and a bowl outside (still within the cooler).

Let it sit with the cooler shut for a week. Presto...baby works perfect (except my glasstop...piece of $&!%)

mhortsch said:
Gotta ask

Distilled water right? And PG solution?

Do what I did...great advice given from Joe on this board.

Place the humi inside a cooler, with a bowl of distilled inside the humi (keep the lid open) and a bowl outside (still within the cooler).

Let it sit with the cooler shut for a week. Presto...baby works perfect (except my glasstop...piece of $&!%)
[snapback]179092[/snapback]​

Great Idea...I dont know if the Coleman I have is big enough...I got about three boxes of cigars in my locker, so I can always add more smokes...I am gonna check the seal and salt test friday when I have time to devote to it and see how it does...does anyone else have any ideas???

Put in a whole box of smokes..humi is holding up well...we now return you to your regular transmission

Matty_Vegas said:
Put in a whole box of smokes..humi is holding up well...we now return you to your regular transmission
[snapback]179562[/snapback]​
:thumbs:

what did ya put in there, by the way?

puffnstuff said:
Matty_Vegas said:
[snapback]179562[/snapback]​
:thumbs:

what did ya put in there, by the way?
[snapback]179602[/snapback]​

Partagas Black Labels Torpedos..my good old standby

I added some crystals today and works even better

I love you guys!!1

I got theese cool little jars with holes in the to they came with...do the beads just lay loose???

and what is the different between beads and crystals??

I mean they both pretty much do the same thing

Matty_Vegas said:
I got theese cool little jars with holes in the to they came with...do the beads just lay loose???

and what is the different between beads and crystals??

I mean they both pretty much do the same thing
[snapback]183028[/snapback]​

Beads will regulate humidity by both releasing water when humidity is low and taking in water when humidity is high creating a stable enviroment. Crystals just release moisture.

Beads are great. They are in my frige-ador keeping things pretty well. At the same time, like anything new, the beads will have a learning curve, either steep or shallow depending on the person. So if your box is doing what you want it to do with the humidification you have now, I would say hold off on the beads. If you are unsatisfied with either too low, too high or unstable RH's that you know for sure is because of your humidification, then I would suggest the beads wholeheartedly. FWIW, my coolidor was rock solid at 65% with 2 large floral foams humidifiers with a 60/40 split of PG and D/W. My 2 desktops and wine cooler, weeeelll, thank God for beads.