• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidifier Recomendations

Tall Paul

"insecure little bitch"
Hey Guys and Gals

I have a cigar Aging Vault Humidor and i have the Hydra LG humidifier. I am consistantly messing with the Hydra unit and have had it. I am looking for any recommendations on humidifiers. What are you guys using? Does anyone out there have the Aging Vault?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Heartfelt beads will be the most recommended humidifier around here. I've got a pound in my humidor and just have to spritz them with distilled water when they start to turn opaque instead of clear-ish.

Heartfelt beads will be the most recommended humidifier around here. I've got a pound in my humidor and just have to spritz them with distilled water when they start to turn opaque instead of clear-ish.
These will work for large Humidors?

IMHO, beads wouldn't be my 1st choice on a larger cab type humidor. I would only use beads to supplement an active humidification device.

I'm assuming that this is what your humi looks like?
HUM-600.jpg

HUM-600_2_.jpg

I would recommend a set and forget unit, like this one from Bob Staebell (Aristocrat).

Yes that's my humidor! Just got it this year and love it. I will take a look at your recommendation. Thank you.

I have one of Staebels Aristocrat humidors. His equipment is good and trouble free. I have also used Cigar Oasis (Link) with good results.

Go to the Avallo review that is pinned in this section.

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't know if anyone else out there has this humidor or not but I made some changes on mine. Like sealing the draws and doors with some gasket material and added some fans for air circulation up behind the draws. Also the makers of this unit are poor on screw selection. I beleive they have a large bucket of various shapes and sizes in the factory and the just reach in and grab what ever... LOL. All the roller slides for the draws had some very small screws holding them in I replaced all these screws so they are now actually tight. Other than that tis unit is Great. Looks and design. Now that I have made these changes i reseasoned it on Saturday and it is coming along nicly. I know its June but i am already thinking about winter this will be my first winter with a large humidor. Living in New England heat is a must and i heat mostly with a wood stove. I have already been planning on moving it up to the spare bedroom an putting a humidifier in the room. We will just see how it goes come November.

Again thanks for the help,

Is the top section all drawers? If so, I imagine airflow might be an issue. I think you're right in adding fans behind them.

But, each of those drawers is trying to act like a mini-humi (it's own environment). Instead of trying to control one large cabinet, think of it like several smaller humis. I'd recommend Heartfelt beads dispersed throughout all the drawers (panythose baggies!).

^^^jmo

*I'd ditch that Hydra regardless...

I would recommend a set and forget unit, like this one from Bob Staebell (Aristocrat).
Go to the Avallo review that is pinned in this section.

...either of these would be my first choice; either should do a great job. I have and love my Aristocrat, but the Avallo is well reviewed and liked by the folks that have used them.

Beads will work, but you'll need enough to maintain the RH. I'd recommend small containers placed around the humidor, rather than a big pile in the bottom.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Is the top section all drawers? If so, I imagine airflow might be an issue. I think you're right in adding fans behind them.

But, each of those drawers is trying to act like a mini-humi (it's own environment). Instead of trying to control one large cabinet, think of it like several smaller humis. I'd recommend Heartfelt beads dispersed throughout all the drawers (panythose baggies!).

^^^jmo

*I'd ditch that Hydra regardless...
[/quote

Yes tha hole top section is draws but not the way your picuring it. The all side in and out of the cabinet they are not individualy cased. The draws are all open behind them. It is like 5" from the back of the draws to the back of the humidor. The fans are blowing air up behind the draws and this lets it circulat all around the draws. I am just about done seasoning and the humidity is holding the best it has ever. I am just waiting for it to come down in the low 70s before i put the sticks back in. I am looking into getting a new humidifier. Any input on a Moist N Aire. All the cigar shops in my area use those in there large humidors.

How well ventilated are those drawers in the Aging Vault?

Tom,

How many lbs of beads do you use in your Aristocrat?

Tom,

The beads were leftovers from my coolers.....so I have both the Staebell tanks and the beads. I recently had to put some stuff in a cooler and son of a gun after two days the hygro in the cooler read....65%..!!..:p

The Staebell keeps things pretty much on the money and the beads are more or less for "ballast" at this point......

I was looking at getting that humidor or a glass door tower humidor. I was leaning towards the one you have becuase it as no glass, since the location i will put it gets sun. Would you buy that one again if you had to do it all over again even with the issues?

Yes tha hole top section is draws but not the way your picuring it. The all side in and out of the cabinet they are not individualy cased. The draws are all open behind them. It is like 5" from the back of the draws to the back of the humidor. The fans are blowing air up behind the draws and this lets it circulat all around the draws. I am just about done seasoning and the humidity is holding the best it has ever. I am just waiting for it to come down in the low 70s before i put the sticks back in. I am looking into getting a new humidifier. Any input on a Moist N Aire. All the cigar shops in my area use those in there large humidors.
That's how I was picturing it. And my advice still stands...small bags of beads dispersed throughout each drawer. Humidity falls; it's much easier to humidify from the top than to force humidity up.

If you're still looking at going with an active humidifier, I think BBS has it pegged...active and beads as a buffer.

*side note, I've had a handful of CigarOasis and I could never get them to the "set and forget" stage. I went to beads and have gone months at a time without even glancing at the hygros. When I finally did, still rock solid at 65%.

I was looking at getting that humidor or a glass door tower humidor. I was leaning towards the one you have becuase it as no glass, since the location i will put it gets sun. Would you buy that one again if you had to do it all over again even with the issues?

Yes I would most defiantly get it again. I love it and who knows mine was probably built on a Friday... lol I love the individual sloted draws along with the big lower cabinet for boxes. I have much faith that I got it all worked out. I will still be switching my humidifier. It drives me nuts how far off the hygro is off.

Thanks

How well ventilated are those drawers in the Aging Vault?

Tom,

They are very well ventilated with air on all sides, top, bottom, and back. If I knew how to put pics on here I would to give you guys some visualization.

That is some humidor, very nice. I would not be able to fill it as I smoke about 5 cigars a day. I have 2 humidors that holds about 500 cigars each and I cant seem to keep them both filled. Good luck wirh yours, let us know how well it holds humidity after you have had it a while.

Tall Paul, beautiful looking humidor. I came close to pulling the trigger on that one but my nephew talked me out of it. He thought that there could be some moisture leakeage from all the drawers. I'm glad that you were able to make some changes to it. What did you finally decide on for you humidifier?

Tall Paul, beautiful looking humidor. I came close to pulling the trigger on that one but my nephew talked me out of it. He thought that there could be some moisture leakeage from all the drawers. I'm glad that you were able to make some changes to it. What did you finally decide on for you humidifier?

I am still rolling with the Hydra LG which is doing the trick but i am still looking for a more accurate and reliable unit.

Paul

I just ordered the Avallo to use in a new Cigar cabinet I am building. They gave me great support and great information. (And they are on sale)