• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity in Small Travel Humidor

SL#3

I have a small wood travel humidor that only holds about a dozen sticks. So I took all your advice that I applied to my larger humidor and tried to apply it to my travel one. That is throwing out the analog hydrometer and floral puck and replacing it with a digital meter and a crystal puck. Problem is that a Crystal 50 puck rated at 70% puts the humidity at 79% in that small humidor. I would prefer to keep it a little below 70% since those are the cigars I'll smoke first. Any ideas on how to lower the humidity. Would covering part of the puck help restrict the flow and bring down the humidity? The puck is the best method for this small humidor. Anything else would take up needed space. Thanks for any help with this.

not sure if i'm the best to speak here, but maybe one of the smaller humidity tubes would be better for this? you could even remove a few beads from that if need be, and it might take up less room.

You may be putting to much water on your puck. It's designed to regulate at 70% and absorb or release humidity to maintain the 70%. If it's too wet and can't absorbe excess humidity, that may be why you're spiking up to 79%.

Have you calibrated your hygrometer, also?

Unless you are traveling for a couple of days and the temperature is really cold, you shouldn't even worry about providing humidity in your travel humidor.

I use a water pillow when I go on long trips, but if it's just going someplace local for a herf or something and I plan on smoking the sticks at that time, the cigars should keep for a day or so (depending on the temperature outside).

IF you still want something to put in there, buy the gel tubes and or something with a 60%-65% humidity rating. If you want to be below 70% you should not get a crystal puck rated at 70%.

I do travel out of State for sometimes for several days. So maintaining humidity is a factor. Yes I realize that a 70% puck is rated for 70% and not lower. So far I have not found a 65% puck (anyone else know where I might find one) I did try the Boveda 65% pack with some success, but do to space I had to lay it right on the cigars. They say this is ok but I did notice a slight difference in taste, so I discontinued that method and bought the crystal puck. Actually the small floral puck seemed to work the best, but had to be monitored regularly. I threw the old one out so I might just have to find another one or I just might give that tube a try, but of course that means one less stick comes along for the ride. Once again thank you all for your input.

I do travel out of State for sometimes for several days. So maintaining humidity is a factor. Yes I realize that a 70% puck is rated for 70% and not lower. So far I have not found a 65% puck (anyone else know where I might find one) I did try the Boveda 65% pack with some success, but do to space I had to lay it right on the cigars. They say this is ok but I did notice a slight difference in taste, so I discontinued that method and bought the crystal puck. Actually the small floral puck seemed to work the best, but had to be monitored regularly. I threw the old one out so I might just have to find another one or I just might give that tube a try, but of course that means one less stick comes along for the ride. Once again thank you all for your input.

http://cigarswag.com/index.php?main_page=i...726668a78f81c49 :thumbs:

David

Get a few Boveda packs and you'll be all set...put a peice of thin cedar(from a cigar box) betweenthe sticks and the pack.

Or...get an Otter Box that has an o-ring seal...put a pack in there and you're set for a long while!!

Problem resolved! I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks Again

I have been using the BOveda packs in my travel humidor for years. Stick with one 65% pack. Any more than that and the RH will be too high. It works very well and they bend to fit in odd sized travel humidors.

I see that this has already been answered. I have my thoughts on this.

Really small humidors don't have a whole lot of wood to act as a buffer so the humidity fluctuates pretty wildly. What I recommend is this. Don't season your travel humidor or very lightly season it and get the long skinny drymistat or crystal gel travel tubes. Putting some cedar in there and using boveda packs is a great idea too although if you travel a lot you will have to replace them often since they only last 2 months.