• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor and Cigar Reseasoning?

haguc

So, early last week in northern Indiana we got a bit of rain. When I say we got a bit of rain we got a good 6+ inches of rain within a few hours. So around noon I get a call from my wife that we are getting some water in from a window in the basement. I come home over my lunch break and go down to the basement and see the water coming into the basement. It is going into the tub but it is half full of water already. I knew the window had leaked before as water runs down the side of the house there is a bad seal at the top of the window that can let water in.

So, I do what any logical person would do, stand on the tub and open the window to see where the water is running in. This was NOT the wisest thing that I have ever done!! I couldn't tell it at the time, but the reason that the water was coming in was not the same as it had been before. This time it was because the window well was completely full of water. In about .5 seconds flat I went from being completely dry to being completely drenched with water from head to toe as a great flood of water come rushing in the window.... and it didn't stop. My wife shrieked and jumped back. I stood in shock and amazement completely drenched with a look of bewilderment on my face and a window in my hand.

I shook off the water as best I could, similar to how you would see a beedog dry off after being out in the rain and I leapt into action. I put the window back into place with a little effort as the water continued to come in. The rain stopped shortly and as the water levels went down and it was no longer above the window well.

As I spent 2 hours shop-vaccing the floor while waiting for the pro's came in, I kept wondering to myself what would have happened had I not opened the window. I tried to convince myself that the leaking in would have been enough to put water into the basement, but I couldn't buy my own story. I sucked up about 30 gallons and then when the pros arrived they sucked out about 250 gallons of water and got a set up to dry out the rest of the carpet.

So, you may be asking why this is in the humidor section?!??! Well, in order to finish drying out the carpet in the basement they set up 10 high volume fans and 2 monster dehumidifiers. These ran constantly for 3 days bringing the humidity from 75% down to 20% within the first 2 days and holding steady at 20% for one day solid. My homemade in wall humidor pictured in my avatar had previously done a great job holding humidity, I hadn't had to add water to it since I set it up a couple months ago and it was holding a steady 67%. After 3 days of high volume air movement and dehumidifiers sucking out 25 gallons of water from the air each per day my humidor had dropped to 51%. It has been about a week since they picked up the equipment and the humidor has brought itself back up to 64%.

My question is, how long should I wait before trying to fire up those smokes. Should they be ok since the humidity is back up or should I give them a week or month to rest? Any advice?

I'd give it a week, similar to how long I usually wait to smoke cigars I received in the mail.

Sounds like you got lucky. Here in AZ we only get 12 inches of rain on a good year. I'd say smoke a cigar after a few days and see how it burns. Going a week w/o a cigar would be tough.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to try one last night. It had been too long since I had a cigar so I figured I would give it a go since there weren't a bunch of people saying to let them lay for a year or anything. :) Pulled out an Indian Tabac since they cheap enough smokes. The burn seemed to be fine and it didn't smoke too dry or moist.

Looks like all is well again in the basement and now in the humidor again! :thumbs: