• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor confusion

matthias4332

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding my 50 count cigar humidor. I have had this humidor now for about 5 months, and I think that I seasoned it correctly. Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong, as I've noticed that the soft, springy, and oily cigars I'm putting into my humidor (without the celophane wrapper on) are within 1-2 weeks losing a bit of their shine and becoming a bit harder. They aren't hard to the point of cracking or any serious dehydration, but I can't help getting the feeling that it simply isn't ideal. I'm wondering if any of you can help give me suggestions for what to do to make sure the cigars stay nice and springy.

So, here are all of the specifics for what I've got going on in my humidor:

- The humidor is has 3 hydration units. One is a little bag w/a hydration pack in it that maintains 67-70 humidity. I have that charged and it is laying upright against one of the walls. The second is a tube hydration unit that maintains 70% humidity. That is charged and is laying down with like a cigar on the third row down in the humidor. Finally, I have the standard hydration unit under the lid of the humidor. I am recharging that once ever two weeks.
- The humidor is very full. The last row just barely peaks over the box walls when the humidor is open.
- I'm pretty sure I seasoned the humidor right, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
- The lid seems to have a really tight seal, but again I'm beginning to wonder.

It just seems bizarre to me that I have 3 hydration packs in one 50 cigar humidor and the cigars in the middle and bottom rows especially are coming out feeling very stiff and dry. It is also very FRUSTRATING because I don't have a lot of money and I hate seeing good cigars start to dry out. I think they are all smokable, but again, I'd like to keep them soft and springy.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Thanks!

Matthias

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding my 50 count cigar humidor. I have had this humidor now for about 5 months, and I think that I seasoned it correctly. Unfortunately, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong, as I've noticed that the soft, springy, and oily cigars I'm putting into my humidor (without the celophane wrapper on) are within 1-2 weeks losing a bit of their shine and becoming a bit harder. They aren't hard to the point of cracking or any serious dehydration, but I can't help getting the feeling that it simply isn't ideal. I'm wondering if any of you can help give me suggestions for what to do to make sure the cigars stay nice and springy.

- The humidor is has 3 hydration units. One is a little bag w/a hydration pack in it that maintains 67-70 humidity. I have that charged and it is laying upright against one of the walls. The second is a tube hydration unit that maintains 70% humidity. That is charged and is laying down with like a cigar on the third row down in the humidor. Finally, I have the standard hydration unit under the lid of the humidor. I am recharging that once ever two weeks.
- The humidor is very full. The last row just barely peaks over the box walls when the humidor is open.
- I'm pretty sure I seasoned the humidor right, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

It just seems bizarre to me that I have 3 hydration packs in one 50 cigar humidor and the cigars in the middle and bottom rows especially are coming out feeling very stiff and dry. It is also very FRUSTRATING because I don't have a lot of money and I hate seeing good cigars start to dry out. I think they are all smokable, but again, I'd like to keep them soft and springy.

Matthias

Has the temp changed in the room?

Hey everyone,

Matthias

Has the temp changed in the room?

Oh no , Gary giving humidor advice! Good luck with that :0

Check your seals and get a hygrometer. Make sure you are holding the rh at what you think you are holding it at. Also swing by the new members area when you get a chance and post an intro.

Check your seals and get a hygrometer. Make sure you are holding the rh at what you think you are holding it at. Also swing by the new members area when you get a chance and post an intro.

Thanks for a quick reply! How do I check my seals? And as far as RH checking, I have an analog hydrometer, which I know is not a good thing - just no money for a digital. I would just imagine that with three humidifcation devices I'd be OVERhumidifying, not underhumidifying.

M

Okay you just posted in the humidor section, congrats.

Now look at the top of the category. There are pinned items there one in particular tells how to salt test your hydrometer. It will help you determine how far off you are. Do this first then you can ask your next series of questions based on the results you get with the test.

Now look at the top of the category. There are pinned items there one in particular tells how to salt test your hydrometer. It will help you determine how far off you are. Do this first then you can ask your next series of questions based on the results you get with the test.

M....don't let the cranky old dud from NJ get to you.

Keep on keepin' on...it's almost FRIDAY!

I'm in NY as I posted that and this!

You making the drive south?

I'm in NY as I posted that and this!

You making the drive south?

Does't look good.

I would buy a large airtight container or jar, set the humidity, and get your cigars out of that system. In my opinion, it's just not worth the investment of cigars you have.

From there, you can go about testing your humidor. What I would do to test it follows:

1. Invest in a cheap digital hydrometer. Radio Shack or shopping centers (e.g. The Bay) often have them for far less than cigar stores. They are often marketed for home weather sensors, or for interior humidity, though often you cannot calibrate these models. Just salt test it and note the % that it is off by.
2. Measure the interior humidity of your humidor. If it will not hold 70%, you will at least need to re-season it... good thing your cigars are already elsewhere?
3. After re-seasoning, check if it holds humidity. If it does, welcome back cigars :) If not, they will have to endure an extended stay in the jar/tupperware/etc.

Re-seasoning is the same as seasoning. To check if it holds humidify after seasoning, simply place your 70% humidifier in and wait until humidity drops down to 70% on the digital. Then give it a week, and see if it drops much lower. Since you say the cigars are drying out from the bottom, I would place the hydrometer on the bottom (not beside the humidifier).

Note that I am inexperienced. I would wait for someone else to comment on this post.

I would buy a large airtight container or jar, set the humidity, and get your cigars out of that system. In my opinion, it's just not worth the investment of cigars you have.

From there, you can go about testing your humidor. What I would do to test it follows:

1. Invest in a cheap digital hydrometer. Radio Shack or shopping centers (e.g. The Bay) often have them for far less than cigar stores. They are often marketed for home weather sensors, or for interior humidity, though often you cannot calibrate these models. Just salt test it and note the % that it is off by.
2. Measure the interior humidity of your humidor. If it will not hold 70%, you will at least need to re-season it... good thing your cigars are already elsewhere?
3. After re-seasoning, check if it holds humidity. If it does, welcome back cigars :) If not, they will have to endure an extended stay in the jar/tupperware/etc.

Re-seasoning is the same as seasoning. To check if it holds humidify after seasoning, simply place your 70% humidifier in and wait until humidity drops down to 70% on the digital. Then give it a week, and see if it drops much lower. Since you say the cigars are drying out from the bottom, I would place the hydrometer on the bottom (not beside the humidifier).

Note that I am inexperienced. I would wait for someone else to comment on this post.

I think you are missing something.