• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor questions

ChrisW2212

So I bought a used acrylic humidor with a stand up storage tray in it. I bought a Spanish cedar board and cut it to line time bottom of it. I am using the 2 way humidification packets and a digital hygrometer.

I would like something a little better and am open to suggestions.

My collection is very small currently, around 10 Baccarat churchills, some Victor Sinclair shots that I give out and forgive me but there are 2 acids I bought on recommendation of a friend and an employee at the local store.

Should I stick with desktop humidors or is it like buying a safe, buy one twice as big as you think you need.

Pictures? Get the Acids away from your traditional cigars. Do you plan on buying hundreds of cigars? Do you normally stick with new hobby plans? :D

Not sure about buying hundreds but a couple of boxes here and there as the situation allows. This isn't exactly a new hobby, I just took an extended break from it. My last 2 hobbies seem to have stuck. I started with firearms when I was 14 and now I have been an instructor for 15yrs and have my 01 ffl so I am a dealer of fine self defense tools. And motorcycles which I started with less than 10yrs ago. I have bought, rebuilt, sold and traded 10 bikes in that time.

I guess I am trying to say I tend to stick with things worth sticking with. I stopped drinking but still enjoy a nice bourbon occasionally.

Sounds like if you really enjoy this, then you'll eventually need something larger. My point about sticking with your plans is, if you say you won't buy hundreds, do you know that you won't or will you succumb to Cigar Acquisition Disorder, like me, and a few more BOTLs on the forum. :eek: I wouldn't be too nervous about putting money on a poll of the membership resulting in most of us wishing we had more room.

That said, a desktop is great for "smoke now" cigars, and a bigger unit for longer term storing, at a possibly higher humidity. Figure out what humidity you like to smoke at, and see if that set-up would apply.

I eventually bought a cabinet and keep a couple of desktops for "smoke now" and "dry boxing". An acrylic humidor is fantastic if you use Boveda packs.

Welcome. Not trying to be a dick here, but did you try searching the forum for humidor reccomendations? The question has been asked/answered previously and you'll find that most will give you similar if not the same responses that have been given. A Savoy from Ashton is a good desktop to start. I've had 3 and each one reliable as all hell after seasoning. Use boveda to season your humidor and test your hygrometer's accuracy. They sell what you'll need on the webs. Search is your freind.

Peace,
C

Boveda are the packs I have been using in the acrylic. I really like them.

Sorry if I have asked something that has been answered too many times. I looked for a sticky like Humidor questions for Newbies or the like but didn't see one. Also I read the first 3 pages in the humidor forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

I will attempt to search the forum more thoroughly next time.

Sorry if I have asked something that has been answered too many times. I looked for a sticky like Humidor questions for Newbies or the like but didn't see one. Also I read the first 3 pages in the humidor forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

Boveda is fool proof.
I'm proof of that.

Plus, they are rechargeable. ;)

No worries bud, we're all here to help. The only stupid question is one not asked.

Here is a quick pic I snapped of it. It sits on my Nightstand currently.

Is it really that warm in there?

You might consider a coolerdor, and drop your humidity down a few points.

Unfortunately, you're tickling the territory where beetles and/or mold can appear.

Yes, That was a pic from last night. Drop the humidity to 68%? I could try it in a closet. I am guessing a coolerdor is kinda what it sounds like.

I just read the coolerdor thread and the link to beetles. I will work on it this afternoon when I get home.

Yes, That was a pic from last night. Drop the humidity to 68%? I could try it in a closet. I am guessing a coolerdor is kinda what it sounds like.

65-68% works pretty well, but you'll have to find what you like.

Yeah, a coolerdor is just a tight sealing Igloo or Coleman cooler. It will keep the temp swings to a minimum and you could toss a cool "ice pack" in there to drop the temps a bit. I say cool, instead of frozen, so you don't worry about condensation forming and pooling in there.

Nothing wrong with asking a question over again. Ignore the Dick that said otherwise..:pEach situtation is different and it's nice to revisit these questions sometimes without dredging up an old thread. Besides the search feature doesn't always give the results you need and reading 20-30 threads and not getting the answer you're looking for is a pain.

The type of humidor you end up with is a very personal choice. Budget, preference in wood, type of hygrometer, humidifier, etc are all things you need to decide what you like/want. I have three desktops down from about 8. Currently I have an Elie Blue, Prometheus and a unknown brand Cherry one that was my first. I personally use bovedas in them all and keep my singles/fivers in there that I intend to smoke relatively soon. All are kept between62-66% humidity and our apartment is rarely above 72 so temp stays below 70 in them and normally around 68 degrees.

As for box storage I've had a cabinet and coolers both. Currently using coolers and bovedas for these as well. 69% has been good for me with long term storage as it can fluctuate a few degrees either way. I don't mind if it gets a little higher as long as there is airflow and lower temps to prevent mold which I've never had an issue with.

As for size, yes it's exactly the same as guns. Buy larger than you expect you will need. You will fill it up. Humidors become more stable when they are full so if you only have the budget for a few boxes a year then keep that in mind as its better to have a smaller one that is full than a large one that's more than half empty.

Last edited:
No that was a leaf out of a box of cigars. I forgot what kind. The kids liked the texture of it.

No that was a leaf out of a box of cigars. I forgot what kind. The kids liked the texture of it.

HAHA, that's great, amazing what they like to fool around with, and it isn't electronic which is even better.

So the current readings this morning were 74% and 74 degrees. Should I pull the boveda out for now? I am trying to find a cooler spot to keep it also. I ordered a 65% boveda yesterday. I did find a small 20 stick Ghurka humidor I bought a few years back and my 5 stick travel box I take on the bike but the Ghurka would have to be seasoned.