• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor questions

So the current readings this morning were 74% and 74 degrees. Should I pull the boveda out for now? I am trying to find a cooler spot to keep it also. I ordered a 65% boveda yesterday. I did find a small 20 stick Ghurka humidor I bought a few years back and my 5 stick travel box I take on the bike but the Ghurka would have to be seasoned.

What thermo hygrometer are you using?

Has it been calibrated?

Don't worry about the slightly higher humidity just before you smoke a cigar put it in the travel box for a day or so, "dry boxing", you may have heard that term before. As long as 74 percent doesn't cause cracks in the foot it should be fine.

So the current readings this morning were 74% and 74 degrees. Should I pull the boveda out for now? I am trying to find a cooler spot to keep it also. I ordered a 65% boveda yesterday. I did find a small 20 stick Ghurka humidor I bought a few years back and my 5 stick travel box I take on the bike but the Ghurka would have to be seasoned.
No point in pulling the boveda out until you have the new ones. The wood humidor might help regulate the temperature better than the acrylic humidor does. Without knowing how the seal is on the wood humidor hard to say if you are better off using it or not.

What thermo hygrometer are you using?

Has it been calibrated?
I am using a Zederkoff and I used one of the Boveda calibration packs. Before this it was reading a steady 72% with a boveda 72 in it.

I haven't heard of dry boxing before coming to this forum but it makes sense.

The wood humidor is ok, just one of the gimmicky ones with a logo on it. Seems to seal ok, I put a light in it to see when I got it and it was better than a few of the starter ones I had 10+ years ago.

Last edited:
Ok, I am still learning the humidor stuff, don't want to run into mold or beetles. Never really had enough cigars to keep one before. I just ordered a mild sampler for a friend and myself to try.

I moved the humidor off my nightstand and the temp and humidity have dropped. Still keeping an eye on it.

I moved the humidor off my nightstand and the temp and humidity have dropped. Still keeping an eye on it.
That's good. Sometimes you have to move them around a room or house to find the right spot for it. Can be a complete pain in the ass but when you consider he amount of money you have in that little box it becomes worth it.

That's good. Sometimes you have to move them around a room or house to find the right spot for it. Can be a complete pain in the ass but when you consider he amount of money you have in that little box it becomes worth it.

Agreed, perhaps it was too close to the work bench, where the temp was higher as well as the humidity.;)