• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Storage Tips

stogieguy5

So as I've said in another post, I'm a newbie of 1 year to cigars. I'm so hooked, I think I look at my humidor once a day. So here's my question. What is a good humidity and temperature? Right now my humidor is holding at 66% humidity and 63 degrees. So opinions? Good? Bad? Indifferent? I know a lot of it is preferance, but opinions are always welcome with me. Thanks!

Rule of thumb is 65% if u age them. 65-70% normal, but to be honest it is personal preference. I wouldnt go above 70%. My temp is pretty steady at 68 degrees.

You might want to read a little first before asking basic information like this or you might get blasted from folks that are not as nice as me. Enjoy the hobby and read as much as you can and try different things. No one gets things right the first time. Good luck

You might want to read a little first before asking basic information like this or you might get blasted from folks that are not as nice as me. Enjoy the hobby and read as much as you can and try different things. No one gets things right the first time. Good luck

I second that, I have really taken the advice read more post less to heart. You learn more that way.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

It's really up to you. I keep all of my cigars at a constant 65%. I live in so cal and my house is usually between 65F-80F. Many books will tell you to keep the humidity and temp both at 70. I disagree, 70 RH is too wet. The higher the RH the more likely it is for mold to grow.

Wetter cigars tend to burn uneven and lose some of their flavor. Over the years I've settled on around 65%-68% RH as being the optimal humidity level for flavor, burn quality, aging and mold prevention. Experiment and see what works best for you. Just stay between 63%-70% and you're pretty much in the safe zone.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll get answers from 58-70%. Rule of thumb is greatly increased risk of mold over 70%. Most guys basically split the difference and run ~65%. That's where my cabinet is set. I know it varies a point or two, top to bottom (it's phone booth shaped) but I've never freaked out about it.

Lots of newer cigar smokers really go nuts over the whole RH issue.....I did too. After a while you realize that it's just not that critical. I'll bet you'll find anything between 63-68% works just fine...and you probably won't be able to tell the difference.... :whistling:

Temps need to be kept below 70F to hinder beetle hatching.

This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be relaxing, remember...??... ;)

Round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll get answers from 58-70%. Rule of thumb is greatly increased risk of mold over 70%. Most guys basically split the difference and run ~65%. That's where my cabinet is set. I know it varies a point or two, top to bottom (it's phone booth shaped) but I've never freaked out about it.

Lots of newer cigar smokers really go nuts over the whole RH issue.....I did too. After a while you realize that it's just not that critical. I'll bet you'll find anything between 63-68% works just fine...and you probably won't be able to tell the difference.... :whistling:

Temps need to be kept below 70F to hinder beetle hatching.

This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be relaxing, remember...??... ;)

Ya I know :) Just want to make sure I get it right from the start so I dont practice bad habbits. Guess I started already by not looking through older threads. Sorry new to the sight and havent figured the search feature out. I'll do that before I post again. Thanks for the advice

I run my humidity at the same as most have posted. 65%RH and I try to keep the temp under 70. I don't worry about a degree or two either way though, and I don't see a difference.

I should be good then. Running 66%RH and anywhere from 63-66 temp.

Till the summer make sure it is not in direct sunlight thru a window or in a hot room. Search "seasonal mood disorder" you will come up with some good old threads. I had similar problems mostly in the summer. Temps hot high 80+ in the room my humi was in. I lugged it to a spare room and put in a window unit ac and that took care of it last summer.

Till the summer make sure it is not in direct sunlight thru a window or in a hot room. Search "seasonal mood disorder" you will come up with some good old threads. I had similar problems mostly in the summer. Temps hot high 80+ in the room my humi was in. I lugged it to a spare room and put in a window unit ac and that took care of it last summer.

Its not in direct sun. I have a split level and the downstairs stays pretty cool during the summer. I'm looking into getting a wineador in the near future as well. That'll solve any heat issues summer may throw my way

Its not in direct sun. I have a split level and the downstairs stays pretty cool during the summer. I'm looking into getting a wineador in the near future as well. That'll solve any heat issues summer may throw my way

If you plan on using the cooling portion of the wine fridge, make sure you look for thermoelectric units. The thermoelectric motors won't put condensation inside the unit, thus causing less RH issues. That was part of the problems that chiefmd was having with his, when his compressor style motor turned it caused condensation and make the RH spike to really high numbers.

If you plan on using the cooling portion of the wine fridge, make sure you look for thermoelectric units. The thermoelectric motors won't put condensation inside the unit, thus causing less RH issues. That was part of the problems that chiefmd was having with his, when his compressor style motor turned it caused condensation and make the RH spike to really high numbers.

THANKS FOR THE TIP! I didnt even think of that. Was looking at the difference between the two. Better add that to my needs category now :)