• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor w/ built-in, broken hygrometer

TAB

2nbehwn.jpg

Does anyone recognize this humidor? It was a Christmas present, and the hygrometer is terribly off (40% reading after salt test). I know analog units suck, but I'd like for it to read at least 60% or something. I'm not going to be depending on the analog unit for my reading, so realistically it is just for decorative purposes, but I'd still like for the hygrometer to be within 10% or something.

I have a humidor with the same set up (glass top, location of hygrometer) my analog will say %50 while the digital reads %68. My dad tells me that it might be possible to physically adjust the needle, but I know very little about that and have decided to trust the reading on the digital.

Buy a digital and don't worry what the analog says. Leave it there for decoration.

You may be able to pull the hygromerter out and if so, there could be a small hole in the back to adjust it. But then again, you might damage the humi trying to mess with it. Best to just leave it and use a digi, as Anthony said.

I agree. Leave it in for decorative purposes and never mind what it reads. Those things are notoriously inaccurate if not outright non-functional. I've yet to see one of t hose exterior mounted analogs that worked.

THere should be a small flat head screw that you can adjust it with. Look on the backside of the Hygro.

Tim

I agree. Leave it in for decorative purposes and never mind what it reads. Those things are notoriously inaccurate if not outright non-functional. I've yet to see one of t hose exterior mounted analogs that worked.

I second that. All analogs that I have experience with are nothing but crap. I long time ago I bought a digital unit from radio shack for pretty cheap. Did the salt test...and adjusted the potentiometer in the back of the unit. Every year or so, I do the salt test and no problems whatsoever. This unit is around 7 yrs old. Definitely worth the $$ in my opinion.

Don Salvatore (link) makes a digital external hygrometer with an analog readout. You can pick these up on eBay for around $25. Just make sure it will fit.

Don Salvatore (link) makes a digital external hygrometer with an analog readout. You can pick these up on eBay for around $25. Just make sure it will fit.

Now that is pretty slick...I'll have to see if it will fit.

Keep in mind analogs work due to a simple spring. It's entirely possible that the spring is broken, and it won't ever read what you want it to.

As everyone else has sad. Just go digital and don't look back.

I had a humi that I was convinced had a bad seal for a long time and came to find out that it was the analog hygro that didn't work. Those things are garbage. Trying to fix it is actually what led me to CP to try to find an answer.