• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidty level

jje5090

I have a cheaper desktop humidor that I got for my birthday last year from my grandfather. My humidity is reading right around 64-66%. I was just wondering if this is a good amount. I know it is supposed to be at around 70-72% but I'm still new to this and don't want any of my Cigars to go bad.

You'll find that everyone has their own preference on what humidity level to store cigars at. Certain cigars will smoke better at around 65% and other will smoke better around 70%. Personally I try to keep my cigars right about 65-67%. To each his own really. Basically, if your cigars are not dried out and cracking, or not too wet to smoke, then you're good to go!

If you have not done so already, salt test your hygrometer to make sure it's calibrated. You'll find the "how-to" thread at the top of this section. Pick up a digital hygrometer to make sure you're getting the most accurate reading (again, if you have not done so already).

_craig_

I do have a digital hygrometer along with an analog one (it looks nice in the humi) I personally have no problem with cracking. Usually cigars don't last too long in there anyway I do have one from back in August in there that still feels nice though.

jje5090 - greetings.

First off, no dis, but your hygrometer isn't worth jack until you calibrate it. You can do the "salt test" (search these pages) and when you do, put the test environment in an old mayo or Ball jar...not a ziploc bag. Lots better results...lots more consistant. Or, just buy a Bovida Hygrometer Calibration Kit and do it the easy way... :cool: The Bovida kit is a great way to go, and it's only a few bucks. Not that the salt test isn't accurate, but the Bovida packs are so...simple.

Second, keep ambient humidity in mind. I have a nice Staebell cabinet and I have a calibrated hygro I keep in my cigar room....outside the cabinet. Your humidification system will have to work extra hard when the ambient RH drops....like it does when the heat comes on for the year, yes? During the summer, my ambient RH was in the 50-60% range.....didn't even use water in my cabinet's humidifiers....my bags of Heartfelt beads kept up in spades. Now, with the forced air heat on for the year, the RH drops like a rock to the 35-45% range, and I'm running water in the humidifiers again. YMMV but ambient RH makes a huge difference in what's required in your humidor, coolers, or cabinet.

Have fun - B.B.S.

...oh, and last point....

Round up a hundred experienced cigar guys and ask them what their preferred RH for cigars are. You'll get answers from 58% to 75%.....really. Storage RH is a perference, nothing more; I was running 65% but have been tending to 68-ish lately. Get much over 70% and the risk of mold increases exponentially but if you can control the temps and keep the RH below 70%....you should be golden.

BBS sorry I didn't mention this both are salt calibrated. My question wasn't so much as to how to keep the humidity constant but rather if this was a good level. Thanks though for explaining it I did learn a few things from this. I figured now that the heat is on in my apartment I am now getting a bit lower humidity than before. I did put a little bit of water in a shot glass to help keep up.

Thanks again guys

Of course its preference, but for what its worth I keep mine within the same range as lilmac does.....I might go out on a limb and say 85% of cigar peeps use that range...

Funny how regions can fluctuate in humidity, just the other day I was going through the cooler and noticed when I first opened the door that it was at 67º, and not 5 minutess later when I was closing the door the humidity had jumped to 72º.

I live 20 mins away from the beach, so it's always more humid by me. I haven't put water on my beads or in my Oasis since Feb of this year, this is a first.

I plan on re-calibrating all 3 of my hygrometers in Feb '12.

-Jimmy