• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer is Acting Goofy

GDeAngelo

About 2 weeks ago I added a Xicar digital hygrometer and Xicar gel beads to my humidor. Everything is in proportion. I've opened the humidor maybe 3 times in the last two weeks. Each time it has red 70% RH and anywhere from 69-73F. I come home tonight since it's been unusally nice here in Kansas City today to smoke a cigar. I opened and saw my hygrometer reading --%/77F. Seriously, How his it gone above or below the readings in such short time?

-Gianni-

Here is a slight up date.

I noticed while snapping some pics. That it began to lower. apparently my humidor was over 90% RH :( I'm not sure how. My beads are set to 70%. My hygrometer has been calibrated. I mean it has been 30 degrees lately and today it was 60 degrees. I don't see how only one day would have such an effect on the RH.

Well, here is a snap shot of my set up. I don't see anything wrong. Do you? Well besides that it's full and I need a larger humi :D

-Gianni-

2mey7no.jpg

Hi there,

I have a small humidor, just slightly smaller than yours it looks. I have a small round gel humidifier, similar in style to the rectangular one you have in that one. I find that after about 5 or so days my humidity creeps up to about 75% so I have to take out the puck for a day or two till it drops back down. Mine is also supposed to be the 70%. My guess is that your humidifier is too big for your humidor. Also, your humidor appears a little wet as well. Perhaps the humidor and your sticks were a little dry when it first went in and once they became saturated the humidity went up. I'd suggest taking out the humidifier (and getting a smaller one) for a few days till the humidty drops and stays dropped. Also, I've read that you shouldn't fill those all the way up as they are designed to absorb and emit humidity as needed, perhaps your humidifier is too full. When mine needs a recharge next I'm going to only put in enough for about 2/3 of the humidifier to fill with gel and see if that helps.

Mike

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I guess if the gels are completely full they wouldn't be able to take moisture away. I got the larger humidifier due to me getting a larger humidor in the near future. I guess this could be to big for my current humidor. Also, those marks on the bottom of the humidor that look like wet marks is actually old rubber cement. There used to be some paper up there. Maybe I'll just let it chill without the humidifier for a few days. This will also give the humidifier a chance to dry out a little bit. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it.

-Gianni-

So, I haven't touched the humidor in a week. I opened it up to a low 62%RH. Hmm, I'm not really sure anymore.

-Gianni-

The humidifier appears way too big for that humidor. What is the RH outside the humidor? How is the seal?

Temperature has an effect on humidity. I can kick the heat on in my man cave and watch the humidity drop in my cab over the course of a few hours.

The humidifier appears way too big for that humidor. What is the RH outside the humidor? How is the seal?

That was my thought as well. If that humidifier is full of beads, then you have too many for that size humidor.

That was my thought as well. If that humidifier is full of beads, then you have too many for that size humidor.

I got this humidifier for a new 150-200 count humidor my girlfriend is getting me "shouldn't make bets you can't win :cool: " I figured that if the beads give and take humidity out of the box, theoretically it shouldn't matter. If it was to small, I understand. Maybe it's the weather. I resoaked the humidifier today. I didn't add much solution, just a bit. I opened tonight to 63% at 72. I'll check tomorrow night and see how it is then.

Now I just need the lady to order the new humidor. :cool:

-Gianni-