• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I bought a box of mold...

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
We are going on a trip tomorrow and I wanted some durable smokes to bring, so I bought a box of cigars in tubos today from the Brits here who I have obtained purchases from before with great satisfaction. I got home, broke the seal and took one out of the box to inspect and maybe smoke this afternoon. When it slid out of the tubo, it looked like bread that had been sitting out for a week. I then opened the rest of the top layer in the box, and all 8 or 9 of them were the same story.

So, I ran back to base, but got there 10 minutes after the store closed. I'm leaving for a week long trip in the morning, so I'm not going to be able to bring them back myself. I asked a friend who was with me when I bought them if he'd try returning them for me, so we'll see what happens. I'm afraid they are going to try and say that "I could have done anything to them over the weekend to cause that", or some sort of deniability like that. I only want smokable cigars. However, I'm not going to be back for over a week, and my buddy doesn't have a humidor to store new ones in if they insist on an even trade.

What do you all recommend to make sure you get good cigars when buying sealed boxes of sealed tubos? How does something like that happen to a sealed tubo (a whole box of them, actually)? I've never had a problem with this place before, so I didn't think I needed to crack the box right there on the counter. Don't know. What do you all think?

I think that really sucks. I am confident they will do the right thing if you spend any sort of money in the place. Just grab some out of your modest stash, and have a great vacation. Then worry about it after you get back if they don't believe your friend. Make sure he takes the receipt with him.

I'm sure they will be willing to work with you on this issue. Like Fish says, just make sure your friend has the receipt when he goes in. And remind him that being respectful goes a long way.

You might want to see if they will keep the replacement box in their humi for a week until you return, so you know the sticks are being cared for.

Some of my earliest posts here were on this exact same deal. If you look at a Davidoff Tubo there are cut outs on the back of the alum tube. Lets air inside to circulate and keep it from getting stale. The tubos that are completely sealed are a mold factory waiting to happen.

Some of my earliest posts here were on this exact same deal. If you look at a Davidoff Tubo there are cut outs on the back of the alum tube. Lets air inside to circulate and keep it from getting stale. The tubos that are completely sealed are a mold factory waiting to happen.
I re-use the tubes I like them so much! Great cigar, too.

Just to follow up on this, my buddy came by today and dropped off a bag of cash. I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but one way or another they gave me my money back, it seems. Now, do I go try and buy another box and open it there at the counter to inspect them, or do I try getting them from those filthy Canadians...?

Go back asked give them the opportunity. Then they will see them first hand when you open it up. It is likely they will be fine. But they did do the right thing by you. So they desire another chance IMHO.

Just to follow up on this, my buddy came by today and dropped off a bag of cash. I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but one way or another they gave me my money back, it seems. Now, do I go try and buy another box and open it there at the counter to inspect them, or do I try getting them from those filthy Canadians...?
As much as I dislike Canadians (jk btw - I work with several) I have not gotten anything bad from them yet. If I did they would apologize profusely and make it right and then some. Without any attitude whatsoever.

Regardless, I'm glad everything has worked out in your favor so far.

I'll have to check the prices, really, and see if the Canadians have anything I prefer that the Brits don't offer. I was only going with the tubos specifically at the time, really, because of the trip we just took. The Canuckians always give my kid stickers and stuff when we are in there (even though it's of that blasted red leafy thing), so they are pretty accommodating there. They also have REALLY big bottles of vodka. I don't drink the stuff, but I appreciate when my wife does...

I always inspect the box before I leave the shop. When I go the mail order route, I inspect them as soon as they arrive.

Kann: After reading your post I understand that you described your sticks as appearing mouldy, really moldy. I ran into the same thing with a box of tubo's. In my case I learned that it wasn't mould but plume or bloom that indicates the cigar is aging nicely. Apparently it can look alot like mould, but it is actually fine minerals that are being sloughed off the wrapper. Not saying that was the case with yours.

Sharing a link that I found:

http://www.cigars4dummies.com/cigar-repair/mold-on-cigars.html

Looks like the plume pic on that site is a creative cropping of Moki's Opus plume pic:

http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?pos=-446

Wow, this one doesn't die...

Nope, Tony, it was mold. No doubt about it. Not even the proverbial, "If you have to ask, it's most probably mold" situation. It WAS mold. Stringy, patchy, furry, fuzzy, blue, white and green moldy mold. Kinda like Doc in the morning...