• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I just had a great realization

bombtek

I have always been a dedicated vodka drinker. Straight up with ice....sometimes with a squeeze of lemon juice ...maybe a drop or two.
Well today I looked in the liquor cabinet and saw waaaaaay in the back a 750ml bottle of J&B that had been sitting in there since I've moved here about three years ago. Unopened, unwanted, and hidden behind all the other "good stuff".
Today I figured what the hell ...that bottle looks like it feels abandoned...the red-headed step-child of my liquor cabinet.
I cracked it open and pured out three fingers over some ice and prepped my 'gar. A cu-avana maduro that I bought on the cheap.
Since I got them I've smoked three out of the box. I felt that they were not bad...not great, but not bad...good for just sparking up and relaxing.
cut a bit off the cap, toasted the foot and blew out allo the impurities once I had it good and lit.
Now here came the epiphony moment.....I took a sip of the J&B right after I got my first good draw off the avana. I was floored!!!!!
My taste buds ....I dunno ....opened up I guess ....the flavor of the cigar...and mind you it's a cheapie...was right there ...like it never had been before...
I took another drag....let the smoke linger on my palate...took a sip...GOOD GOD!!...this was incredible!!! I could TASTE the sweetness of the maduro wrapper...the mellowness of the tobacco blend of the filler..and the richness of the binder...I am not joking guys...I could actually tell what I was smoking by the taste of it...
I had never experienced that before. I had never had scotch with a cigar before....the way that everything came together ...it could only mean one thing...these two vices belong together (for me anyways).
Never again will I just light up a 'gar while relaxing at home on the outdoor longer without three fingers of scotch there to accompany the smoke.
I can't do it at work, but at home....it is the only way.

My cigars always taste better with scotch. It's gotten so that I rarley smoke anything good without it.

Doc.

Good ....bad.....I think...check that...I KNOW that it just makes them taste better irregardless of the quality of the cigar

I have always been a dedicated vodka drinker. Straight up with ice....sometimes with a squeeze of lemon juice ...maybe a drop or two.
Well today I looked in the liquor cabinet and saw waaaaaay in the back a 750ml bottle of J&B that had been sitting in there since I've moved here about three years ago. Unopened, unwanted, and hidden behind all the other "good stuff".
Today I figured what the hell ...that bottle looks like it feels abandoned...the red-headed step-child of my liquor cabinet.
I cracked it open and pured out three fingers over some ice and prepped my 'gar. A cu-avana maduro that I bought on the cheap.
Since I got them I've smoked three out of the box. I felt that they were not bad...not great, but not bad...good for just sparking up and relaxing.
cut a bit off the cap, toasted the foot and blew out allo the impurities once I had it good and lit.
Now here came the epiphony moment.....I took a sip of the J&B right after I got my first good draw off the avana. I was floored!!!!!
My taste buds ....I dunno ....opened up I guess ....the flavor of the cigar...and mind you it's a cheapie...was right there ...like it never had been before...
I took another drag....let the smoke linger on my palate...took a sip...GOOD GOD!!...this was incredible!!! I could TASTE the sweetness of the maduro wrapper...the mellowness of the tobacco blend of the filler..and the richness of the binder...I am not joking guys...I could actually tell what I was smoking by the taste of it...
I had never experienced that before. I had never had scotch with a cigar before....the way that everything came together ...it could only mean one thing...these two vices belong together (for me anyways).
Never again will I just light up a 'gar while relaxing at home on the outdoor longer without three fingers of scotch there to accompany the smoke.
I can't do it at work, but at home....it is the only way.

I know what you mean. I just tried Dalmore "Cigar Malt" scotch with a couple of smokes. It really takes it to another level. I was a virgin scotch drinker and I think it opened doors to try other brands of scotch. Unlike girlfriends and wives, you can try many different ones and experiment (and get away with it). :love:

The assimilation has begun. Wait until you get some good scotch.

The assimilation has begun. Wait until you get some good scotch.

When it comes to scotch, I'm one of those crawl before you walk kinda fellows...it would probably be a waste to pick up something in one of your scotch buyers clubs without getting...I guess shall we say better aquainted with the tastes of scotch??

Always been a Tequila drinker but this post definitely has be curious :)

I've always been a fan of The Glenlivet 12yr, but i recently picked up a duty-free bottle of JWGL on my way back from Puerto Rico. I have a feeling i will be enjoying scotch with my cigars from now on as well! :thumbs:

Ah, I love seeing fresh new palates finding the world of scotch. It is a wonderful, happy place, welcome!
And yes, it makes cigars EVEN BETTER!

i remember the first time i paired the two.

i had been smoking the cigar for a few minutes, and it was 'o.k.'

i took a sip or two of scotch, went back to the cigar & was FLOORED how different it tasted.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ah, I love seeing fresh new palates finding the world of scotch. It is a wonderful, happy place, welcome!
And yes, it makes cigars EVEN BETTER!

Thanks to your suggestion of the cigar malt as a first try! :thumbs: I am contemplating trying Glenfiddich Solera Reserve as my next stop.....

I don't know the Solera Reserve. Like I said, though, glenfiddich is one of the world's best selling Scotches for a reason, and has a very large dedicated following. AVB might have some info on the Solera. Please let me know how it is!

I don't know the Solera Reserve. Like I said, though, glenfiddich is one of the world's best selling Scotches for a reason, and has a very large dedicated following. AVB might have some info on the Solera. Please let me know how it is!

Will do.

I read his review and the price is reasonable. Now I am going to see if I can locate it.

I've never been a scotch drinker. Just couldn't get past that rough taste you get right at the end. I've tried the "good" stuff (Macallan & others), but it just never did it for me.

This weekend I had a few friends over and pulled out a little jar of some "really, really good stuff" that AVB had sent me. I could not believe the difference! It was smooth in a way I didn't think scotch could be, and it absolutely enhanced the cigar I had with it.

Now I'm on a quest for more like it. :)

I've forgotten what I sent, if you know I should be able to tell you where to get more.

This weekend I had a few friends over and pulled out a little jar of some "really, really good stuff" that AVB had sent me......

Now I'm on a quest for more like it. :)

....warning: Good bourbon has the same effect. The "dark side" looms, young one; there is no turning back now..... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Damn it guys! Now I gotta go out and get some Scotch, and now for the real issue...the local Liquor store also has a decent walk in Humidore..prices not so decent but competitive with other stores around here I guess.

I wonder if I can take a lawn chair and just take the Scotch into the Humidore and hang for awhile?

Its quite possible I would need someone to post bail later and I guess its possible I would need a place to stay when the wife kicks me out. I think what we are looking at is the need for a "Live-in Humidore."

They had that "Boy in the plastic bubble" movie, perhaps theres a market for a "Man in a Cedar cabinet" movie. With all the crappy reality shows nowdays, atleast that might be interesting.

Had some Walker gold last Wednesday with a buddy of mine while smoking a Fuente 858. I am not really a scotch drinker but this was actually really good. $65 dollars a bottle though. Is there anything comparable to this that is a little less expensive. Only ever had Chivas Regal and Glenlivet.

The Johnnie Walker Green at $50 may be even better.

Back