• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need opinions please.

Seamus

Minister of Closing Matters
Ok, so a few weeks ago I was leaving work and when I opened my car door it bumped the car next to me. Now I did not hit it hard and when I checked there was no damage to the car. 2 weeks later the guys comes to me and says I damaged his car and gives me an estimate for $650.00. Now I went and looked at the damage and it does not look it was made by a black car(mine) so I am inclined to tell this guy to piss off. Please look at the picture and tell me if the scratch looks like it could have been made by a black car.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a315/jpdowne...=Picture007.jpg
The picture is of the space between the front and rear door.

Thanks

Where's the damage? That little scratch?

Was the guy in his car when you bumped it? If not, how did he know it was you? Besides that what are the odds of being hit in the same place twice, once by you and then by someone else who supposedly caused this damage. Also, does the edge of your door have any of his color paint on it?

He was inside his car. I looked at his car after it happened and there was no damage. No, my car has no paint on it.

I guess the chances are pretty good as last week my car was hit in the same spot in a mall parking lot.

No it doesn't.

And is there a police report? If not, don't worry about it. If takes you to court over that... then the judge will laugh at him.

That shizz looks like it can be buffed for less than 100$. You need a better estimate, looks like he is gonna pocket some money on that. If he is a penis and demands it be repainted, it can cost ya some.
Tough call since you already admitted you tapped the car.

A cop...oh bad word.. ok a police officer came to my house one day an informed me I was in a hit and run accident and he was gonna arrest me when he got the insurance claims and injury report from the victim. I was actually at work when the accident was reported and 25 miles away. I got a call from the opposing insurance company that they needed to see my car to verify the claim to there car. I took it to my insurance first and had the whole car checked... spotless. ....You need to cover you butt on this one.

Let the insurance companies deal with it. Your company will want some kind of proof from the other company before they pay out the claim.

In Connecticut, any claim for less than $1,000.00 against your personal liability CANNOT by state law be held against you or result in an increase in your premiums.

Don't bother your insurance with this. He should had filed a report at the time of the incident. He didn't. I'd tell him sorry and get a better estimate because he's getting screwed for that much.

Lots of good advice here. There is no police report . . . not that they would have taken one if you had called. There is no proof that YOU were the one that caused THAT damage. Also, I would find it hard to belive that the damage depicted (though it is difficult to tell with nothing to show scale) would cost that much to repair - I agree that it looks like it can be buffed out.

Are you friends with the guy, do you even know him? If not then tell him to pound sand. He is not going to retain an attorney for that nominal damage as it will cost more than he could ever recover. You don't need an attorney (I can't belive I just said that) because this guy would make a claim against your insurance company. As mentioned above your insurance company will require proof of liability before they pay on any claim.

Given the nominal amount he may sue in small claims. You will then have to represent yourself and neither side can have an attorney. If what you say is true then your defense is the "not me" defense. Make him prove liability and that you caused the damage. Most likely the judge will see the pic and laugh at the other guy. Now . . . if the worse happens and you get a judgment against you for any amount your insurnace company will/should cover that judgment even though they were not present and unable to actively defend the case.

Of course everything depends on your State's law and local rules.

>> DISCLAIIMER <<
No part of the previous text should be considered and it is not intended to be legal advice. The informaiton provided does not create a attorney-client relationship and no attorney-client privilge attaches as a result. The information provided may or may not be in conformity with your State and local laws and is not intented to fully explain the legal rights and liabilities as it applies to your case. You should contact an attorney in your state for legal representation to protect you rights in this matter.

p.s. - Let us know what happens

JAEwing said:
Lots of good advice here. There is no police report . . . not that they would have taken one if you had called. There is no proof that YOU were the one that caused THAT damage. Also, I would find it hard to belive that the damage depicted (though it is difficult to tell with nothing to show scale) would cost that much to repair - I agree that it looks like it can be buffed out.

Are you friends with the guy, do you even know him? If not then tell him to pound sand. He is not going to retain an attorney for that nominal damage as it will cost more than he could ever recover. You don't need an attorney (I can't belive I just said that) because this guy would make a claim against your insurance company. As mentioned above your insurance company will require proof of liability before they pay on any claim.

Given the nominal amount he may sue in small claims. You will then have to represent yourself and neither side can have an attorney. If what you say is true then your defense is the "not me" defense. Make him prove liability and that you caused the damage. Most likely the judge will see the pic and laugh at the other guy. Now . . . if the worse happens and you get a judgment against you for any amount your insurnace company will/should cover that judgment even though they were not present and unable to actively defend the case.

>> DISCLAIIMER <<
No part of the previous text should be considered and it is not intended to be legal advice. The informaiton provided does not create a attorney-client relationship and no attorney-client privilge attaches as a result. The information provided may or may not be in conformity with your State and local laws and is not intented to fully explain the legal rights and liabilities as it applies to your case. You should contact an attorney in your state for legal representation to protect you rights in this matter.

[snapback]204959[/snapback]​

I know him and he works in my department but we are not friends. In fact, he is a real a-hole. He went to my boss a few months ago about something regarding me and did not get his way. I think he is trying to get back at me.

Thank you very much for the above information.

As someone who works insurance fraud in CA this stinks to high heaven. If your insurance company was worth it's grain of salt the adjuster should weed it out. I have seen SIU (Special Investigations Unit) come in for less. personally i think it could just be buffed out. find an ad for a good detail shop copy it and put it on his chair. :)

seamus said:
JAEwing said:

>> DISCLAIIMER <<

I know him and he works in my department but we are not friends. In fact, he is a real a-hole. He went to my boss a few months ago about something regarding me and did not get his way. I think he is trying to get back at me.

Thank you very much for the above information.
[snapback]204984[/snapback]​

You are very welcome. Also, if you have any documentation of the complaint he made about you, as well as the result, you should get that together now. This coupld prove useful in this or any other future situation that he may involve you in.

- Jason

JAEwing said:
>> DISCLAIIMER <<

Very good advice from "The Lawyer"........

If you do have to go to "Small Claims Court", print out a copy of this post and show the judge what we all think about the damage to your car...... Then show him what JAEwing wrote..... explain to the Judge that he is the "Official CP Lawyer...... also explain to him that we all are personal friends and we know everything..... :laugh: Then, slowly turn around and run like hell...... because the guys in white jackets will be coming to put you in the nut house.

BkCloud114 said:
JAEwing said:
>> DISCLAIIMER <<

Very good advice from "The Lawyer"........

If you do have to go to "Small Claims Court", print out a copy of this post and show the judge what we all think about the damage to your car...... Then show him what JAEwing wrote..... explain to the Judge that he is the "Official CP Lawyer...... also explain to him that we all are personal friends and we know everything..... :laugh: Then, slowly turn around and run like hell...... because the guys in white jackets will be coming to put you in the nut house.
[snapback]205493[/snapback]​

Uh . . . check that . . . it says UNofficial :D