• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I pulled the trigger

beaucredo

hard work and self sacrifice
Yeah, I finally gave in and purchased a cooler. I am excited, and I will post pics as soon as I get my beads and put my cigars in there.

I have a few questions that I am sure have been answered elsewhere, but I thought I would consolidate a few.

1) It doesn't smell too much like plastic, but would you still recommend cleaning it out

1b) If yes, What is the best method, the instructions on the main page say to use bleach, but I am not sure if that is what you fine BOTL's would suggest (I searched for plastic smell, and didn't find a substantial answer to the question.)

2) I plan on emptying my desktop to have more in the cooler, would you recommend me keeping my desktop humidified, or should I let it dry out and re-season it later?

3) There are no slots for me to slide in for shelves, what would be a good way to put a couple of shelves in? I was thinking of just hammering a few nails into the sides, and setting a plank above the nails, is that ok?

4) Would you recommend putting bundled cigars (I plan on buying some Connies) in a old box so that they get surrounded by the cedar, or should I just leave them in the Bundle?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, I really appreciate all you guys do!

Yeah, I finally gave in and purchased a cooler. I am excited, and I will post pics as soon as I get my beads and put my cigars in there.

I have a few questions that I am sure have been answered elsewhere, but I thought I would consolidate a few.

1) It doesn't smell too much like plastic, but would you still recommend cleaning it out

Yes and use some bleach for good measure, then let it air out for a few days.

1b) If yes, What is the best method, the instructions on the main page say to use bleach, but I am not sure if that is what you fine BOTL's would suggest (I searched for plastic smell, and didn't find a substantial answer to the question.)

2) I plan on emptying my desktop to have more in the cooler, would you recommend me keeping my desktop humidified, or should I let it dry out and re-season it later?

You never know when you may need it. I used my desktop for singles and cooler for boxes.

3) There are no slots for me to slide in for shelves, what would be a good way to put a couple of shelves in? I was thinking of just hammering a few nails into the sides, and setting a plank above the nails, is that ok?

Shelves waste box space in my opinion

4) Would you recommend putting bundled cigars (I plan on buying some Connies) in a old box so that they get surrounded by the cedar, or should I just leave them in the Bundle?

YES!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help guys, I really appreciate all you guys do!

Everything Shooter said, except the bleach. Chlorine and things you are going to smoke = really bad idea, IMHO. I rinsed the four coolers I have (... :whistling: ) with very hot water, then left the lid open for a couple of days. No smell, no worries.

Good luck, and have fun - B.B.S.

Congrats on the cooler! Now you can get to work buying a few boxes!

When it comes to bleach, I was meaning a few table spoons for the whole cooler. To each his own. Not mass quantities

I think baking soda would be a better alternative to bleach.

Doc.

Enjoy your new cooler. I will be looking forward to hearing you complain in a couple of months how you need to get a new one because you have run out of space!! :laugh: I think that there is a law of nature that controls this. The size of your cigar storage decreases rapidly upon receipt so you need to get another one. :rolleyes:

IF you use a small amount of bleach with water, then, rinse very very very well, then air it out for several days you should have no problem. If there is still a bleach smell you either didn't rinse it well enough or didn't air it out enough.

Baking soda will work fine and is easier than using bleach.

If you want the easiest way...... take a big stack of newspapers and put them in your cooler. Close it up for a few days. Take newspapers out and you're done. I've used newspapers for years on my fishing coolers...... give them a good rinse and throw newspaper in them. You'd never know a fish was in them.

IF you use a small amount of bleach with water, then, rinse very very very well, then air it out for several days you should have no problem. If there is still a bleach smell you either didn't rinse it well enough or didn't air it out enough.

Baking soda will work fine and is easier than using bleach.

If you want the easiest way...... take a big stack of newspapers and put them in your cooler. Close it up for a few days. Take newspapers out and you're done. I've used newspapers for years on my fishing coolers...... give them a good rinse and throw newspaper in them. You'd never know a fish was in them.

I thought I read in a pinned coolidor post to use two tablespoons of bleach with water. Then, I used the baking powder to pull the bleach odor out. Guess that is double the work. I think you want to kill the plastic odor in the cooler. If hot water doesn't do it, try baking powder. If the powder doesn't do it, try newpaper/bleach. The basic idea is to have a neutral environment for you sticks!!

Quade

If this is a new cooler and there isn't the smell of plastic, why use bleach at all?

IMO you're ready to go. Add a few cedar boxes, the appropriate amount of beads and stabilize the cooler at your desired RH.

The best I’ve read it open it up, throw it outside in the sun for a few days and let the sun bleach it.

Definitely don't use bleach...use some baking soda/distilled water and swoosh it around and dry it out.

Are you placing some spanish cedar in there?.. I've read that some people place spanish cedar shelves in their cooler. If not, I would think over time it will smell like a clean toilet inside.. ???