• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I Received the Macanudo 1968 Sampler

Mine showed up yesterday. While none of the sizes thrill me, the wrappers smell really tasty. Thinking of putting the Toro to the test at lunchtime today. :)

Ordered mine last Wednesday, received yesterday. I will give these guys a few days in the humi after being out in the 105+ heat all day. Will post comments when I get a chance.

Got mine today and they do look very nice and have a rich, barnyardy aroma. If they smoke like they smell, they'll be pretty good at the very least. Since they marinated in my mailbox all afternoon, gonna have to give them a few days to relax.

Wilkey

Yeah, I have to let mine rest a few days as well from the journey to my house. Travelin' during the hot Summer really takes it's toll.

"Barnyardy"...that's a word, right?

Shit man, just be the grumpy old grampa who smokes cigars - like me! You're on my turf, so learn to deal with it. Actually, I don't smoke in the house when grandbabies are visiting.
Bruce, I'm gettin' too old for this crap :laugh:

These college kids eat like they have 2 A-holes!

I think I have to drink more and complain less during this procedure :thumbs:

But the flavor - really one dimensional. Didn't evolve, didn't change.
Jeff, to tell you the truth, there are times I like a one dimensional smoke. Not every cigar I smoke needs to be a roller coaster of flavor...especially when I'm multi-tasking (BBQing, BSing & drinking, cutting the lawn, sitting in the hot tub, etc). If I can light a cigar and have it start out nice...remain good throughtout the stick...and finish up on the same quality flavor note...I'm a happy guy.

I think we all have cigars like this in our humidors for just that purpose. But they have to be the right price too :whistling:

Just got mine this AM and smoked the smaller stick after lunch. It was a great smoke and a gorgeous wrapper with a perfect draw! Really enjoyed it.

Dan
I think I'm in Dan's boat on this one. :thumbs:

Do you think it was worth 8-10 bucks a stick Dan?

I just have a feeling we may see a deal on these from CI or CB in the near future.

Ordered mine last Wednesday, received yesterday. I will give these guys a few days in the humi after being out in the 105+ heat all day. Will post comments when I get a chance.

Ditto...will have to spark one of these up in a week or so. The robusto was calling my name so I took it out of the cellophane and sniffed it. Had a great aroma to it...can't wait to try it out. :thumbs:

Picked it up from the PO this morning. THe Habano CT wrapper makes it look and smell really good. I'm going to torch one of them tonight. WTH OTT LOL

Looked again, and it was the Robusto that I planned on smoking.

Short version:

Young and wet, but not bad at all. Some nice cocoa and fruit flavors popped in and out. At this point, they do seem to suffer a little from the tendency of some makers' to confuse strong with full-flavored. A few puffs reminded me (in a distant way) of A.F. Anejos. I think they have the potential to mellow out and gel into something good.

If they were six bucks a pop, I might buy a box and let it sit for a couple/few years to see what happens when there's less strength and more flavor. At $8.50, I won't, although I might grab a couple of singles to see how they turn out.

A good effort overall by General. And that's not something I often say...

edited to get rid of an extra word...

I smoked the churchill last night. The cap was frigging armored! I'd guess it was 1/16 or more thick. Wrapper was rich, oily and mostly flawless. The cigar flavor was different - guess I'm getting used to all the peppery Pepins. Very pleasant smoke. It sure ain't your daddys Macanoodle. I like it!

Jeff, to tell you the truth, there are times I like a one dimensional smoke. Not every cigar I smoke needs to be a roller coaster of flavor...especially when I'm multi-tasking (BBQing, BSing & drinking, cutting the lawn, sitting in the hot tub, etc). If I can light a cigar and have it start out nice...remain good throughtout the stick...and finish up on the same quality flavor note...I'm a happy guy.

I think we all have cigars like this in our humidors for just that purpose. But they have to be the right price too :whistling:

Yep and mine are called Padrón 2000.... :thumbs:

Yep and mine are called Padrón 2000.... :thumbs:
Mmm hmm. Quintero Brevas are my grilling smokes.

Wilkey

I smoked the toro last night, awesome smoke! It must have changed on me 3 or 4 times. General has a winner here.

Short version:

Young and wet, but not bad at all. Some nice cocoa and fruit flavors popped in and out. At this point, they do seem to suffer a little from the tendency of some makers' tendency to confuse strong with full-flavored. A few puffs reminded me (in a distant way) of A.F. Anejos. I think they have the potential to mellow out and gel into something good.

If they were six bucks a pop, I might buy a box and let it sit for a couple/few years to see what happens when there's less strength and more flavor. At $8.50, I won't, although I might grab a couple of singles to see how they turn out.

Smoked my robusto today while mowing the lawn. I heartily agree with Tim, these are a decent cigar. I would even say pretty good. A solid medium-full, nice rich flavors and a touch or peppery spice, just enough to give it a little sparkle. Held up well under chawing too.

For me:
As a $4 cigar, excellent. Two boxes please!
As a $6 cigar, very good. I'll take a box.
As an $8 cigar, good. Keep a fiver+ on hand for a change of pace.

All in all, not quite as stunning as the Liga Privada No.9, but a good cigar nonetheless.

Wilkey

But the flavor - really one dimensional. Didn't evolve, didn't change.

Exactly. For $4-$6 a cigar, I'd love them. For $8.50+, no thanks. Not that impressive.

Edit: Wilkey - spot on with your cost/reward analysis. :D Cheers.

Mine arrived in less than a week and they look and smell fine. I am going to let them sit for another couple of weeks and I'll report after that.
Everyone's cost vs benefit analysis is interesting. I'll be interested to see where the market levels out on these in 6 months or a year.

Got mine a few days back... They smell awesome... Maybe I should light mine up tonight :)

Short version:

Young and wet, but not bad at all. Some nice cocoa and fruit flavors popped in and out. At this point, they do seem to suffer a little from the tendency of some makers' tendency to confuse strong with full-flavored. A few puffs reminded me (in a distant way) of A.F. Anejos. I think they have the potential to mellow out and gel into something good.

Smoked my robusto today while mowing the lawn. I heartily agree with Tim, these are a decent cigar. I would even say pretty good. A solid medium-full, nice rich flavors and a touch or peppery spice, just enough to give it a little sparkle. Held up well under chawing too.

For me:
As a $4 cigar, excellent. Two boxes please!
As a $6 cigar, very good. I'll take a box.
As an $8 cigar, good. Keep a fiver+ on hand for a change of pace.

All in all, not quite as stunning as the Liga Privada No.9, but a good cigar nonetheless.

Wilkey

Hey Wilkey, so much for letting it cool down for a few days :laugh:

Interesting the way you broke down the cost/want analysis. I may have to plagiarize that and change the numbers around on occasion.

QUESTION: If this cigar had a Pepin band on it, would everyone think a little different? :whistling:

I still haven't smoked any of mine yet...I'm just asking :thumbs:

Hehe, I could not resist, Gary. :p The fact that it performed so well only one day after receipt and having sat for a whole afternoon baking in my mailbox tells me three things: 1) these cigars are pretty robust, 2) a good cigar's probably not gonna smoke like crap after shipment and 3) that a day might be enough for it to "adjust."

I don't know, Gary. It doesn't taste like any Pepin I've tried. But I get your point. I wouldn't think it a better value if it had Pepin's name attached to it. But then again, I'm not a Pepin whore. His Old Henry brand is an inexpensive stick but I didn't like it at all so I wouldn't even pay $3 for it. Sliding value scale.

We've all got biases and prejudices but when sampling a new cigar, I try to give it a generic "goodness" rating. Then my mind comes up with a generic "cost" rating. Put the two together and you've got the "value." It's a total SWAG, but good enough for smoking.

Wilkey

Just received mine today!
I'm going to let them relax in my humi a few weeks then let'em burn!

Cigar Chief

Got my sampler while I was out of town on business. I'll let them rest a couple of days in the humi, and try to put flame to one, and pen a review on one of them this weekend.

B.B.S.