• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I transfer next year

emodx

Banned
I have a prety good shot at being picked up for recruiting duty. If I do, I am interested in hearing what you guys think of these areas.

Atlanta- My wife has family up near there, so I probably will keep this near the top of my choices.

Cerritos
Charleston
Chalotte
El Paso
Fresno
Honolulu
Houston- I have been there once, but don't know anything about it. Might take it though.
Memphis- My wife isn't thrilled about TN, but I am interested.
Nashville- Ditto
Oxnard
Phoenix- My wife is really interested about Phoenix and so am I. So this is probably going to be high on my list.
Riverside
Sacramento- If I go to Cali, I may consider this as my first choice. Dont know much about it though.
Salt Lake City- I don't know if I would want to live in the Mormon state, but would welcom some input on the city.
San Antonio
San Diego

I know it is a lot of Cities. But I figured you guys would know. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Emo

You've got to be kidding me, I see only one choice:

Honolulu

Smoking cigars in paradise with brudda Wade and the three other Hawian CPer's

This is a no brainer :D

My top choices.. Atlanta, San Diego, Phoneix

All are growing VERY fast, and very beautiful areas to live work and play....

ads

ads47 said:
My top choices.. Atlanta, San Diego, Phoneix

All are growing VERY fast, and very beautiful areas to live work and play....

ads
Can you tell me much about why you like them? Hono is interesting. Gawd awful expensive, but my wife could make really good money. I pobably would do it if some one had good things to say about it. My friend was there and liked it, but he is single with money to burn

Emo

You would not regret choosing Honolulu. I've lived there and will again. It is expensive but not as bad as you might think. When I lived in San Diego just a few years later I found the cost of living to be similar.

Houston in the summer time... Ugh. Smog, pollution, just plain dirty IMO.

How could you NOT want Honolulu... execpt for the cost of living and shipping problems.

emodx said:
Charleston
Chalotte
I can't think of a nicer place to live than Charlotte :) I know I'm biased, but NC is a state that seems to have everything. Let me know if you're considering it. I (and SD Stack) can give you more than you could ever want to know.

With that said, I would't pass up the opportunity to work and live in Charleston. Growing up, we keept a boat at the public marina in Charleston, so I've spent a lot of time there.

Cheers,
Dixie

My wife will make good money in Hono, and I get COLA for living out there. Just don't know if I can afford some place close enough so it wont be an hour commute.

Emo

dixieland_conjunction said:
emodx said:
Charleston
Chalotte
I can't think of a nicer place to live than Charlotte :) I know I'm biased, but NC is a state that seems to have everything. Let me know if you're considering it. I (and SD Stack) can give you more than you could ever want to know.

With that said, I would't pass up the opportunity to work and live in Charleston. Growing up, we keept a boat at the public marina in Charleston, so I've spent a lot of time there.

Cheers,
Dixie
I am down to hear about Charlotte, but would defiately lean to Charleston.

I live halfway between Memphis and Nashville. Memphis is a city in trouble due to poor managment. The mayor and counsel don't get along and corruption is rampant. Nashville on the other hand is growing and thriving. If you can choose between them IMHO Nashville is the one to pick. Much better living conditions.

cigarsarge said:
I live halfway between Memphis and Nashville. Memphis is a city in trouble due to poor managment. The mayor and counsel don't get along and corruption is rampant. Nashville on the other hand is growing and thriving. If you can choose between them IMHO Nashville is the one to pick. Much better living conditions.
Cool, now that helps! Thanks bro!

Me & the wife moved to Hawaii to get a change of pace before we decided where we would settle. That was over 10 years ago now. :D :D
I'm really comfortable here just had to get used to long plane flights when visiting family :) It can be expensive but not much different than a lot of other parts of the country.The cola will make a difference.

PS: year round world class golf....

wam79 said:
Me & the wife moved to Hawaii to get a change of pace before we decided where we would settle. That was over 10 years ago now. :D :D
I'm really comfortable here just had to get used to long plane flights when visiting family :) It can be expensive but not much different than a lot of other parts of the country.The cola will make a difference.

PS: year round world class golf....
Actually, we love Key West, so island life is in us.We are looking at 7-10 years for some of the places. Hono is one of them

Emo

Kryo said:
Houston in the summer time... Ugh. Smog, pollution, just plain dirty IMO.
I don't know what you're basing your opinion on but I've lived in the Houston area for over 25 years and I couldn't disagree with you more. Now if you would have said Hot and Humid I would have concurred. Oh yea, almost forgot....we never shovel snow down here....bullsh*t maybe but never snow! ;) :)

I'd say it really comes down to what are you looking for. Every town on your list has its up side and down side.

As for the big cities....keep in mind that most of us live outside of them and not in them. Small town USA is great for retiring but becomes boring pretty quick for Generation X'ers. ;)

You know where I'm at Brother E..... Let me know if you want any input from around here.

Allofus123 said:
As for the big cities....keep in mind that most of us live outside of them and not in them. Small town USA is great for retiring but becomes boring pretty quick for Generation X'ers. ;)

You know where I'm at Brother E..... Let me know if you want any input from around here.
Living in a small town, I kinda know whatcha saying. I am really interested in local politics and economy. Politics in the sense that the local agenda is either set in stone or moving in a certain direction.

Emo

BTW-I am an exemplary Generation X model. Cutting edge of fat, dumb, and happy!

My wifes income is somewhat based on local econmy/tourism, that is a good portion of my decision. I really appreciate everyones opinion.

Emo

Allofus123 said:
we never shovel snow down here....bullsh*t maybe but never snow! ;) :)
I love snow... grew up with it on the ground 6 months out of the year... Give me sub 30 degree temps anyday over 90+. :)

Edit: Though I love the Keys like most who visit. Island life.. someday man.. someday.

To each their own on the snow... Y'all can keep it.
A few comments on:

El Paso - Southern end of the Rockies. 100+ temps all summer and VERY dry. I can't think of a single tourism site there though except being a gateway to Juarez. My brother is selling his 1800 sq ft home outside of Dallas for what he bought a 3200 sq ft home on a mountain foothill for in El Paso.

San Antonio - Lots more to see and do here vs El Paso. SeaWorld, The Alamo, Fiesta Texas (part of 6 Flags chain), the RiverWalk through downtown during the Christmas season is nothing short of spectacular..there is though, only 1 professional sport in town..the Spurs. The alamo dome needs about a million$ in repairs and the city is balking about it...they're scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to get people in there to use it. The only complaint I've ever heard from my folks (been there 9 years) is the constant fight with mold growing on everything. But of the major cities in TX, I would take S.A. easily. Oh yeah, almost forgot...it's a megacenter for USAF bases.

ps..my vote ... HONO all the way!

Houston is another one that would interest me.

Of course me being a hard core Astros fan has nothing to do with that at all, nosirrreeeee :p

The Astros served up a South Florida fish fry on 'dem Marlins Tuesday & Wednesday :sign: