• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione Epernay 2009 Petite Corona

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Illusione Epernay 2009
Size: 4 1/2" x 44 rg Petite Corona
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium

A couple months ago I decided to stop into a B&M that I used to shop at fairly often prior to moving out of the area, as I happened to be nearby while running around with my buddy Shant. While there, I noticed that the shelves held a few new lines such as Liga Privada, Tatuaje, and Illusione, so naturally I took it as a chance to snatch up a few things I normally didn't have access to outside of ordering online or via phone. One such cigar was the newish Illusione Epernay series that I had read quite a bit about, but had not had the opportunity to sample. I decided on a shorter smoke, and thus chose the Petite Corona. This morning I woke up a little earlier than usual and noticed that the rain hadn't quite come yet, aside from a brief five minute sheer downpour that reminded me of someone turning on a shower head in that it wasn't raining one second, and then the next it was instantly pouring. Once that brief madness had subsided as quickly as it had started, I took that as a chance to make a quick breakfast, brew up a batch of Killer Beans (thanks Jerry!), grab the Epernay and head outside.

Pre-Light

I would have to venture to say that Illusione cigars are among some of the better rolled cigars out there, possibly even reaching the same level as Fuente or DPG's. I imagine in a few more years as the brand matures even further that quality will continue to improve, at least I hope so. The construction is spot on, featuring a beautiful wrapper that has very thin veins throughout, is silky to the touch with plenty of oils, and has a color that reminds me of worn leather. The cap is the one area that is flawed, even if very minor in that it isn't perfect, but hell, this is a hand made product and perfection, while something to strive for, is incredibly difficult to achieve. The foot redeems the cap in that it is perfectly bunched and, along with the nice springy feel in the squeeze test, lends itself to suggest that the draw will be spot on.

Draw & Burn

As suspected, once the head is punched I find a perfect cold draw that has just the right amount of resistance that upon being lit, stays consistent throughout the duration of the smoke. The burn was razor sharp despite the high humidity outside and strong breeze, leaving behind a dark gray, almost Cuban-like ash that held strong until tapped off at the inch mark.

Flavor Profile

The initial cold draw was of delicious tobacco with a subtle sweetness that, once lit, revealed a creamy body with a light tobacco taste complimented by that same subtle sweetness and mild coffee. Once I reached an inch in, the flavors opened up suddenly, kicking the tobacco taste to a full, rich level and brought out the coffee notes nicely. I picked up hints of raw almonds and cedar, altogether providing for a very nice mix of flavors that was very pleasing to the palate.

Overall Impression

As a morning smoke, this cigar excelled as it was a perfect medium strength, full body, and went nicely with a hot mug of great coffee. A wee bit on the pricier side, I still could see myself picking up a 50 cab of these for moments like today that call for a great, short smoke. I do enjoy the Illusione line, and the Epernay is an excellent addition that will only add to its appeal.

DSC_2904.jpg

DSC_2901.jpg

DSC_2903.jpg

DSC_2899.jpg

Thanks for the review! Big fan of just about every Illusione I've tried.

I've got one of these little bad boys sitting in the humi, always passing it by to grab something else. I may have to spark that thing up one morning with some coffee! Excellent review Charles, hope all is well!

I smoked an Epernay Le Elegance last summer and found the pepper almost overwhelming. Spicier than any other cigar I've tried. I couldn't believe it.

Might have to try another to confirm.

Thanks for the review.

Just smoked one of these myself tonight. I find myself going to this cigar a lot lately.

Nice review Charles. For whatever reason, I can't get into these. I've had 3 or 4 and they simply don't do it for me, which is strange because I am a big fan of the Illusione line, especially the newer MJ12.

Nice review Charles. For whatever reason, I can't get into these. I've had 3 or 4 and they simply don't do it for me, which is strange because I am a big fan of the Illusione line, especially the newer MJ12.

It certainly is a departure from the rest of the Illusione line, though why I am not sure. Something about it was very different, but it could have just been me. :laugh: While I really enjoyed this cigar, I'd still take the '88' over it, unless of course I was short on time. I still need to try a few of the other Illusione vitolas, that dang Holy Lance is calling to me! :)

I just smoked an Epernay Le Grande the other day and when I am in the mood for that mild-medium smoke it hits the spot! I don't pick up much pepper, but a floral hint does surface. I like it when I pick the right cigar for my mood, makes me think I know what I'm doing.
laugh.gif