• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm shopping for a gun

ITs not about accurate rounds, its about murphy's law. there's a reason why cops carry high capacity firearms.

Yes there is a reason why they carry so many rounds. It's because the majority of them can't shoot for nothing. And I am saying this from personally shooting with officers. The qualifications they go through is enough to make sure they don't shoot themselves, but not enough to show they are proficient with a handgun. There are some cops that are good shots, but they are few and far between.
B

there's a reason why cops carry high capacity firearms.

The tool a cop needs, and the tool a homeowner needs can vary greatly.

There's nothing inherently wrong with high (I actually prefer "standard") capacity semiautomatic firearms. I own a few, and would not hesitate to use theme if the need arose. But we're talking about a gun for a couple who may or may not practice alot, and who are looking for something that is sufficient to protect them in their home if it ever becomes necessary.

Pretty good scenario for a wheelgun, really.

I will chime in by quoting myself from an earlier similar thread. :)

"I think the biggest mistake people make when buying a gun is purchasing one that they can afford instead of one that they can shoot well. I do agree that you should go to a range or go shooting with a knowledgeable friend. Having a gun that is easy for you to shoot and that you are comfortable with is very important.

I also disagree about a shotgun being the home protection weapon of choice. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but if something goes bump in the night I'm way more likely to grab one of my hand guns than my shottie."

There's a lot of shotgun guys on this forum, and I can only assume its because of their lack of proficiency with a handgun.

You're entitled to your opinion, particularly with the obvious amount of experience you have with firearms, but you aren't entitled to be insulting about it.

I've been shooting various types of guns for more than twenty years, am confident in my ability to use them, and continue to believe that a shotgun is a perfectly valid home defense tool.

X2! I have been shooting guns my whole life. I am very confident with everything, and a shotgun is still very valid for home defense.

Agreed!!! Drywall and sheetrock can be replaced. People can not. If an intruder is in my house I dont care if I destroy a whole wall as long as there is a dead intruder.

Bruce, get a shotgun. It cost a lot of time and money to become proficient with a handgun under stress. Unless you see this as a hobby for you and your wife to share, there's no point.

Doc.

Bruce, get a shotgun. It cost a lot of time and money to become proficient with a handgun under stress. Unless you see this as a hobby for you and your wife to share, there's no point.

Doc.

I agree with your logic, but disagree with the reality. A shotgun takes proficiency as well. Shotguns don't just splatter bad guys with pellets when you point it in their general direction. You need to aim, and aim accurately. Not to mention for a lady, a shotgun is very simple to take away in close quarters. At least with a handgun she'd have a fighting chance. Handguns are also much less intimidating to women. My fiance is scared to death of my larger caliber, larger frame weapons but doesn't even blink at my 10mm because I told her it was only 1mm bigger than a 9mm which is for shooting cans. :) She didn't even know the difference and shoots it with decent proficiency. Had i told her that its "the one of the most powerful autos on the planet" she probably would have told me to go to hell before she'd shoot it.

Damn, I'm amazed at the response. I'm also awed at the arguments and solutions presented. My wife is hardly diminutive, nor is she a stranger to guns. For myself, I'd chose the Glock. However, Joe presents a very valid argument for the .357 revolver. I also share Doc's opinion on the scattergun. I grew up with shotguns and handguns as did my wife. So far, I like BOTH a 12 gauge shotgun and a revolver. More than one Brother has argued to try before I buy, so thats exactly what I'll do.

Doc.

I agree with your logic, but disagree with the reality. A shotgun takes proficiency as well. Shotguns don't just splatter bad guys with pellets when you point it in their general direction. You need to aim, and aim accurately. Not to mention for a lady, a shotgun is very simple to take away in close quarters. At least with a handgun she'd have a fighting chance. Handguns are also much less intimidating to women. My fiance is scared to death of my larger caliber, larger frame weapons but doesn't even blink at my 10mm because I told her it was only 1mm bigger than a 9mm which is for shooting cans. :) She didn't even know the difference and shoots it with decent proficiency. Had i told her that its "the one of the most powerful autos on the planet" she probably would have told me to go to hell before she'd shoot it.

I agree the shotgun takes proficiency, also my wife prefers the shotty, she's got a NEF 12 ga, simple to use load, pull back the hammer, pull trigger.

although there are a lot of opinions on what to and not to own, confidence in what you have is the most important item.

1) Home security system, deters a lot of invaders

2) Take a shooting class, most ranges offer them.

3) Try different weapons

4) Personal defense class

5) If at this point a gun is still in order, then try your favorites and narrow down you choices

6) When all else is completed and still feel the need, then purchase and PRACTICE with which you choose.

Guns can be effective in the right hands, with out proper training it is / could be a recipe for disaster.

Link

Link 2

Yes I do own more then one gun, but have taken classes and practiced for 30+ years. All guns will / can kill so please choose wisely and PLEAS PLEASE be careful.

My .02

Paul

I love shotguns, but I think a full length barrel and a full stock are too hard to handle in close quarters like inside the home. I like Glocks too, but I prefer keeping a round in the chamber and the hammer down. My favorite is my Sig 226, .40 caliber factory recertified and money left over for some range time. Take a lok at ammo prices too before you pick a caliber. If you are going to spend much time at range, ammo costs can be pricey. Ammo prices have jumped over the last several months.

Lots of good points listed, so I'll ad my $.02 For ease of use under duress, you can not go wrong with a double action revolver. The .357 takes a good deal of time to get comfortable with, but any wheel gun chambered for .357 mag will also shoot .38 special. For all of your listed needs, I reccomend the S&W 625. It has all of the benefits of a double action revolver, but it is chambered in .45 acp, a more than adequate round for personal protection. The 45 is a great man-stopper and is very manageable for grown shooters of all sizes. Check it out The MSRP does not reflect the actual cost, you should be able to find one within your budget.

Billy

3. One shot, target goes down.
Bruce, this won't happen. I don't care if it's a .50 cal Barrett, unless you make a perfectly placed shot, it's not a guarantee.

Having said that.....what follows is my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it...... ;)

Shotguns; the point here is that this is NOT a "spray and pray" weapon. At typical home defense ranges, you can miss quite easily. That, and they are larger / harder to store / lots of recoil put them low on my list for home defense.

1911 model pistols; in the hands of an expert, these are probably one of the most effective, most lethal weapons for close range defense and denial on the planet. Problem is, they are really an "experts" weapon. 1911's (other than the esoteric Seecamp and a few others) are "single action" guns which means the hammer has to be back or the weapon won't discharge. For a person that's not trained and expreienced with this gun, in the heat of the moment, you could pull on the trigger till the fat lady sings and the gun won't go off....unless you remember to cock it first. Storing this weapon in the "condition one" state (cocked and locked) is something that many folks aren't comfortable with. If you're willing to put the time in to learn these guns inside and out, these are the cream of the crop but make no mistake - there is a downside to these pistols. Your call there......

Glocks; I'm partial to Glocks, and own several. They are rugged, dependable, reliable, and damn accurate guns that will shoot and shoot under the worst of condidions and is spite of less than stellar maintenance. However, Glocks, like any autopistol, require some additonal manipulation to be effective. If you're going to go to the range once a month or so (and you damn well should if you're going to keep a weapon for self defense) then the Glock is an excellent choice. A Glock 23 in .40 cal with a Streamlight light / laser on the rail is my "things that go bump in the night" weapon.

Lastly, the relvover. Truth is, for a first gun, this is what I highly recommend. I have one of these. The Tarus is a Smith and Wesson clone, made well, and with a lifetime warranty. Reasonably priced. You can take that .357 to the range, and shoot .38 specials in it until you are very comfortable, and then shoot full house .357 ammo as you like. You can buy defense ammo for a .357 that is as effective as anything there is. A revolver is easy to shoot, easy to understand, safe, and just an all around great gun. I would give this serious consideration.

Lastly, you need to take some classes. Find a local range and sign up for some pistol classes. And, practice. Practice more. Practice again. Shoot AT LEAST once a month, and should the "worst case" ever happen, you'll be ready to defend your family safely and effectively.

PM me if you'd like to chat....glad to steer a brother down the right path.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

If you are thinking about this Bruce, you probably have a reason. Knowing your home situation, I would reccomend something with a hammer. If you think you might need to use a hand gun in the house, then you will most likely want to keep one in the pipe. I have no doubt your daughter could pull a trigger, but I doubt she could pull back a hammer. It's just an added safety device on a gun that kids might be able to get their hands on.

Let me know, I'll go shooting with you.

I would suggest a small .38 revolver loaded with hollow points. No jams or safeties and you can even get some grips that will work well for your wife. Six shots should do - if you need more you are in trouble. No need for accuracy, if she is close enough to the perp to warrant shooting, it's just point and squeeze. The sound of the .38 alone will generally scare off anyone if she misses. Most burglars and petty thieves will run for cover if they even see that you are packing.

I would suggest a small .38 revolver loaded with hollow points. No jams or safeties and you can even get some grips that will work well for your wife. Six shots should do - if you need more you are in trouble. No need for accuracy, if she is close enough to the perp to warrant shooting, it's just point and squeeze. The sound of the .38 alone will generally scare off anyone if she misses. Most burglars and petty thieves will run for cover if they even see that you are packing.

Although I use the HK USP .40 and the P7M8 for CC, I agree that for ease of use the detective special with 2" barrel and JHP would be easiest to point and click for the casual user.

Two Komondor and a good dependable revolver like B.B.S. says. The Komondor are my idea, the Gun, explained almost the same exact way B.B.S. said it, was a suggestion from a man I worked with that was an avid sportsman, and one time Gun Smith.

Just a little Springfield / 1911 bashing here.

I had been shooting some steels competitions for about a year when I decided to bring my "good gun", (as opposed to my regular CZ's) 2nd shot in I am standing there with a gun that will not fire, I can clear the jam or even rack it to see if it is safe to leave the line. If it had been a emergency I would have been dead with a dumb look on my face. Double insult. Unusual to be sure but still... Gun was purchase new by me and only set back to Springfield for a 1 time trigger job / service.

Which one of these parts is not where it should be?

Note: The spring keeper for the safety/framelock did not fall clean away from the pistol. I had to pry it up/out and in order to rack the gun and show the range master and timer guy that I was not walking away from the line with a broken AND condition one pistol...Nice..Talk about felling like an ass..
spring005.jpg

Edit for a comma and some quotes.

Well how steady are your hands when you adrenaline is pumping at max. Could your wife even shine a flashlight strait scared out of her wits? Mine couldn't. And when I get pumped not sure I could be too accurate with a pistol

check state laws for barrel length and get the shortest one you can take it to the range and see what kind of pattern it puts out at the average range you'll need it.

I carry a Remmington 870 in my front seat every night on patrol. If I know I'm going into a really bad situation it's my weapon of choice. I highly recommend it. It can be purchased for around $300. I'd modify it with an extended tube and a side saddle to store extra ammo. You can also hook up a flashlight or laser to it for a few extra bucks.

I also think highly of the Ruger GP100. It's well made and goes bang every time you pull the trigger.