• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Importing and Shipping Alcohol

Borric

Reaction score
It seems like I'm starting every post so far with a variation of the phrase "Living in Maine, it's very difficult to find...." This time I'm wondering about alcohol. According to WSWA and GotMead's Excellent (and thorough) shipping laws list, Maine doesn't allow direct shipment of any kind of alcohol to consumers under any circumstances. And the best liquor store in the area is little better than the aisle at the local supermarkets. Not to mention any kind of specialty liquor like Velvet Falernum--this will inevitably entail an illegal run to NH or Mass (if I'm lucky, that is).

First, will (some) domestic stores ship to states like Maine anyway? Internet Wines & Spirits lists us on their "will not ship" list, but out of the sellers recommended by AVB and others in previous posts, I've found two who don't have Maine on their list of forbidden states, and three who simply say that "the title passes to the buyer in CA" or equivalent. I found a reference to this practice in an isolated post on Webtender, but was unable to confirm its veracity. I hesitate to ask the stores themselves; if this is a grey area I don't want to jinx it by asking them such direct questions.

I'm also hoping to import some liquor from Europe. Specifically, I'm interested in obtaining some Liqueur de Violette so I can make myself a Blue Moon. Violet liqueur is not manufactured or distributed in the US, but I think Sally Clarke's in London will ship me a bottle or more of the Benoit-Serres (with $20+ S&H). I'm assuming this would be declared as alcohol, so I probably wouldn't bother trying to ship them to Maine. I have a friend in Oregon who might receive these for me in exchange for a few good Habanos, then repackage and pass them along to me.

As far as I can tell it's legal for my friend to import, but I was wondering what precisely that will entail (i.e. pick-up, forms, taxes/duties) so I can make it as easy as possible for him.

Any tips for packaging and shipping bottles of alcohol?

Also, if Sally Clarke's has changed their policy, my next step is finding someone in the UK who will either go to their shop or receive a mail order, then re-ship it to my friend. I've contacted 4 other distributors in England and The Netherlands, and none are willing to ship to the US. Personally, I don't know any people in the UK. If this extra step becomes necessary, can anyone make a suggestion about how to find a person or business willing to help with this?

Thanks for reading my long-ass post, and thanks for any helpful info or comments!

^_^

If push comes to shove I don't believe it is legal to ship hard liquor by any business or individual in the US. It also isn't legal to import your own in mass like I do during my scotch buys. I do believe there is a proper and legal way to bring in a bottle or two but the only place who has offered to do this that I have run into is asking £35 ($60) a bottle for this service.

Whomever you find that will ship to the US you might as well just have it shipped directly to you and save the hassle of shipping to your friend and then to you. It is againt the law either way. For shipping have the package marked as a "Collectable Bottle" (a little lie) or as a "Lava Lamp" (bigger lie) and cross your fingers. I've brought in over 200 bottles over the years and haven't lost one yet but the chance is always there that customs will snatch it up.

Good luck.

I dunno, with all the bs going on with security budget cuts/misuse these days and the massive online ordering. I’m beginning to think if its from a good trade list country, passes the x-ray scans, doesn’t tick and the dogs don’t hit on it its in and out in 3 days or so. Customs is federal and couldn’t give a crap about state laws. Also 99% of the time when liquor is shipped its never labeled as such because it’d be a highly stolen item. Whether or not it gets snatched up when it reaches Maine is a different story but I doubt you’ll have any troubles.

just my opinion.

-Mark

just my opinion.

-Mark

Two opinions are like........ :whistling:

:laugh:

Mrepp said:
have any troubles.

just my opinion.

-Mark

just my opinion.

-Mark
[snapback]295781[/snapback]​

AVB said:
For shipping have the package marked as a "Collectable Bottle" (a little lie) or as a "Lava Lamp" (bigger lie) and cross your fingers.
[snapback]291547[/snapback]​

Sonofabitch! :0 Those were bottles of SCOTCH? NOW, you tell me. I've been trying to figure out how to plug in those lava lamps you've been sending to me.