• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Incoming Brandy, Cognac, Armagnac..

mitchshrader

So I stumbled and missed on the Scotch buy and felt all jealous. :)

Being as my single malt supply exceeds my daily taste for it, and my bourbon excursions were mostly not thrilling.. I'd *nearly* decided to go to Bushmills Sherry Cask, for next up to bat.. , but couldn't find a clue as to what it tasted like. After Sazerac 18 yr Rye, I was spoiled.. and wanted *very* good booze..

Best hint I got was 'Macallan 10 yr old Cask Strength'.. hmm. I don't really get excited about the Mac CS, it's fiery enough and tasty, but not anything i want on my deathbed.. 'low 80s' for a rating. IMO.

So, well, Balvenie 17 Sherry Cask came up.. heck, i NEED one. It'll go with my other Balvenie, and won't rot till i get to it, but it's not gonna make me drool and breathe heavy.

Ok, COGNAC. . hmm. I been licking the cork top on this 40 year old stuff, with little whines and whimpers, now for a couple days.. DOWN, get BACK from that stuff.. dangerously likely to evaporate if i don't mind my manners.

Wonder if there's something NOT a lapdancers retirement fund expensive I can drink.. hmm. let's SEE now..

Aight.

Les Domaines Grassa Reserve Armagnac.. it's got lavish praise and @ 32$.. a STEAL.. (let's hope it's drinkable)..

Pasquinet Royal XO Cognac (18 year old) .. heck, it's 18, it's legal, @ 38$.. This is their second best standard bottle, it SHOULD be good..

and, just to test the power of capitalism,UPSCALE (not VS) E&J VSOP @ (get this) $8.99 .. worst case i'll use it for paint thinner, or pour it in a good bottle and give it to unwelcome guests.. ;)

Fair sample, I think, of the 'low end' of the wine spirits line. I can't wait till it all gets here..

WORST case i'll have to have a big brandy alexander party for all the gurls at hooters.

I'd weep, honest. :)

On the grounds that this doesn't deserve a real review, just a couple notes on sniffs and sips..

got my incoming brandy supply, carefully hid the Pasquinet in the bunker and threw a blanket over it.

Have on my desk the E&J paint thin. I mean, VSOP at the munificent cost of 8.99 per 750ml . . and the Bas Armangac that had me curious. OK, now I know.

The bas armangac is les domaines grassa reserve, no age statement, 40% ABV, supposedly good stuff by reviews. eh. nice aroma, apricots and vanilla and a hint of almonds, light fruit and honey and nuts. first whiff is feinty, you can tell it's single distilled and it would have benefited from a less generous cut on the feints. probably letting it sit open a while, or in the glass, would help with that. not hugely annoying but a definite minus point. good taste, the feinty bit not so noticeable, a flicker, not much barrel, mild and smooth and very tasty, aromatic almost to the point of spicy.. but simple enough. something that would make a great base for a nut liqueur was my first thought. not something i'd buy twice to keep on the shelf, but not painful at all. i'll likely use it up in hot chocolate, it's a little flavorsome and nutty to put in coffee. Could substitute in some rum drinks, or canadian whisky drinks, fairly easily.

Now about the E&J, normally the less said the better about cheap brandy, but I thought this deserved a mention. The smell was striking. Some bubble gum notes, pineapple, minerals, quite an interesting aroma floating on a very obvious alcohol base. Soooo, yeah, I couldn't resist, I tasted it.. not Nearly as bad as I'd expected. This actually isn't too bad for stuff made last week. There's a small % of something really decent blended in, a pot still brandy with a little age on it, made from really good grapes, quite a nice flavor. . and a LOT of raw high proof spirit, column still made, that's as close to vodka as you can legally get.. mixed with it.

This stuff with maybe 6 years in a good barrel would taste pretty decent.. jmho.. right now it's got some of the spirity taste i can only compare to JW Red, a raw burn from the un-aged alcohol, even at 80 proof. NOT terrible, surprisingly enough, clean and no aftertastes of oil or crud. this stuff would be quite acceptable mixed with cola, and likely would be taken for gold rum, bar quality. not far off it.. absolutely acceptable spring break booze, just dandy to pour in the punch bowl.... :)