• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Indian Tabac Horsepower Sampler

kevpriest

Clueless Noob
So, CI was running a promo that looked kind of interesting, a way to "sample" different strengths of cigars. I've got a brother-in-law that had asked me about strong versus mild cigars, and I thought this might be a fun way to answer the question. Plus, the whole sampler of 20 cigars was only $30, so it's no big loss if it's a bomb, right?

There are 5 different "levels" of cigar in the box: 150HP, 250HP, 350HP, 450HP, and Turbo. We started at the bottom and as of this writing have worked our way up to the 250HPs.

I let these sit in the humidor just a few days before trying them. On Saturday I pulled out a pair of the 150HPs and we tried them. The 150s are supposed to be mild and creamy, with a Connecticut shade wrapper. I found the wrapper to be a serious liability: it was thin, dry, and flaky, completely disintegrating in my hand as we smoked. Since there are four of each level of cigar in the sampler, I took the two remaining 150s and stripped them of their celo to let them pick up some moisture before I try these again.

As far as the taste, it's a blended tobacco, I'm guessing mostly Honduran, and I detected no hint of "creamy". Just a sort of weak smoke. It actually reminded me of a Macanudo, and while I know a lot of people like them, that's not a complement to me. Also, the draw on these cigars was inconsistent through the length of the cigar, starting really tight, finishing hot & loose. I believe that's an indicator of poor construction, but I don't know if they'll all be that way or not.

On Sunday we tried the 250HP. This one has a maduro wrapper and is supposed to be "nutty". These looked a lot like the Indian Tabac Deluxe Tubos I've tried (color of wrapper, general look of construction, even the pre-light draw). Unfortunately, where the Tubos have lots of ligero and good, strong flavor, these do not. The flavor is okay, medium (as advertised), and I definitely liked these enough to smoke them again, but they're nothing special.

I'll update this review as I get through the 350s, 450s, and Turbo. So far, I have to say, this was not $30 well spent, but hey, it was a lark. I fell for the gimmick. It's not like Indian Tabac tried to tell me these were a premiere line or something. ;)

For lunch I went out and had the 350HP. This one has a corojo wrapper that's quite nice. The construction was still shoddy, in my opinion, this one too loose and mushy. Maybe a humidification issue, but based on how the other ones have been I'm betting it's inherent to the cigar.

The tabacco was good, long-filler stuff. I could definitely see smoking this one again, but I wouldn't pay much for it given the construction issues. And I'm definitely moving up the power-scale with these cigars. This one was nice and powerful, and more complex than the lower hp cigars. I'm actually looking forward to the 450HP at this point.

Thanks for the reviews. SOunds like the lot o' them shipped dry and might have needed a few weeks before beginning the experiment. What I would find interesting is the same run with the remaining cigars after a year or so of age. If you are saveing the 2 others of each type, it may be an interesting read to see the first impession side by side with an aged impression. Maybe I'll get these myself and do 1 a year for 4 years.

Now ya got me thinkin'

-K-

Point definitely taken on letting this stuff rest for a few weeks before I started. I wish I had, but now that I've started I want to go ahead and finish.

And now the good news: CI describes the 450HP as "full-bodied with a rich and intricate blend of tobaccos, including Corojo wrappers and Nicaraguan Ligero fillers". I have to say, this is a very good cigar. The construction was firm, with a little spring to the sides. The draw was perfect for me. The ash was very fine, white, and firm to the end. And the taste was great! This reminded me a great deal of the Rocky Patel Edge line. Really a nice, powerful cigar. Not just a "blow your head off" powerful, either. The first third was a little plain, maybe some spice, but the remainder of the cigar, once everything got warmed up, had a little sweetness to it.

This one should be really nice after it's rested for awhile.

Yesterday I sat down after work to try the "Turbo", the strongest of the strong, which CI describes thusly:

"Are you the hero? This rip-roaring, spicy, full bodied treat can satisfy that serious cigar craving."

Well, it was plugged. I struggled with it for about 10 minutes before I finally tossed the whole thing in anti-climactic frustration. I didn't try another last night because I was afraid the bad experience would color my thoughts on the cigar.

Today I tried a second time. Pre-light check: draw's okay, a little tight, but I think it's fine. It's another corojo wrapper, a little spicy on the first draw. It's supposed to be super-strong, but I'm not getting it yet. Maybe it needs to warm up a little. Nah, 20 minutes later it's still weak, but it's not just that the tobacco is weak, it's that the stupid tobacco won't burn. The thing kept going out on me. Blech, I give up again.

I'll try another one later (a week or more later), but so far the 450 has been the only one that I'd really want to have again.

Try a La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel when you have a chance. If you have a penchant for a nicotine-kick-in-the-family-jewels, that may do it. Not to mention its a smooth, tasty cigar too.

Thanks for the nice review to. Too bad the construction is bad, since I will smoke a subpar tasting cigar for the hell of it, but mushy/plugged cigars give me conniptions. :rolleyes:

good reviews it makes me want to avoid them completely event though I like indian tabac vintage and super fuerte I a too almost bought the horsepower sampler and I'm glad I didn't :p