• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interested in HDTV?

Thanks for the short version because there is no way I'd survive reading all that without the desire to end it all :D

I don't have the patience or aptitude to read that, but from my simpleton mind what I learned is this: for pure image clarity and color richness, plasma all the way. However, for longevity, plug-and-play ease of use, lower prices, ruggedness, and resistance to image burning, go LCD.

But things may have changed since then. I remember plasmas costing in excess of $25K!

Most of what you learned isn't the case any longer. Ease of use is the same, ruggedness is hard to judge since nobody does drop testing as part of the test suite and image burn is possible with any static image. LCD prices are lower but the trade off is picture quality. BTW, I paid under $1500 for my 50" plasma 2 years ago.

I don't have the patience or aptitude to read that, but from my simpleton mind what I learned is this: for pure image clarity and color richness, plasma all the way. However, for longevity, plug-and-play ease of use, lower prices, ruggedness, and resistance to image burning, go LCD.

But things may have changed since then. I remember plasmas costing in excess of $25K!

I remember the first flat plasma, that 42" Phillips. The ads always showed young, hip couples figuring out where to put it in their first, sparsely furnished apartments.

The thing cost something like $40K! No wonder they didn't have a couch! :laugh:

Nowadays they go on sale a lot from prices that have, of course, dropped dramatically, but I've still always heard that if you're going to watching in a room with windows, LCD is brighter against ambient light.

Not sure how much better quality I need than my 1080 LCD and HDMI upconvert deck, anyway . . . with my friggin' eyesight! :blush:

~Boar

....guess my Toshiba DLP is a real dog, eh...??.... :laugh:

Still happy, never had to replace a bulb, just as beautiful as it was new. Maybe someday.......

Heck I've got to put the McIntosh stuff somewhere; what would I do with a "real" flat TV....??.... :laugh:

Short version: Plasma kicks LCD's ass.

Absolutely. Having had both, all I can say is that I love my plasma. Beautiful contrast and none of the artifacts you might notice in even a mid to high range lcd. That being said, however...have you taken a good look at those LED TV's? Sexy. I'm vain...what can I say?

samsung_thinnest_tv.jpg

WTF is it with this new 240Hz and 480Hz refresh rates? Kinda ridiculous (pointless) if you ask me. I understand that the 120Hz is better than 60Hz to avoid shudder or jitter in film (shot in 24fps). But doubling the refresh rate to say "my number is higher than yours" is goofy.

Same with resolution. No sense in having 1080 resolution on a 32" screen unless you're going to sit only 4-5ft away from it. Human eye is unable to detect the difference from 720 to 1080 in that situation.

Lots of qualms I have with manufacturers pushing numbers to appeal to the crowd of "my res-penis is bigger than your res-penis"

/rant

Lots of qualms I have with manufacturers pushing numbers to appeal to the crowd of "my res-penis is bigger than your res-penis"

/rant

I have a 100 incher.... :laugh: :laugh:

Projector all the way for me. It's a an oldie, but goodie. Only does 720p, but I've enjoyed it a lot.

Seating distance for resolution.

chart.gif

^^ there it is... I was looking for that, couldn't find it!

www.carltonbale.com has some good stuff on it as well!

Same with resolution. No sense in having 1080 resolution on a 32" screen unless you're going to sit only 4-5ft away from it. Human eye is unable to detect the difference from 720 to 1080 in that situation.

Marketing and planned obsolescence---television is a mature technology, so they have to keep coming up with new reasons for people to buy new ones. Tube televisions got to where they never wore out, so they came up with PIP and other such doohickeys, then it all went flat screen. Now even the cheapest of those are pretty reliable and have great pictures, so they play the numbers game for the tech crowd . . . :rolleyes:

I was on the fence and then got a great deal on a 37" with good specs. Almost as soon as I bought it, my ancient Walmart theater-in-a-box went tits up . . . so I got a decent replacement with upconvert and wireless rear speakers and man, as soon as I hooked the HDMI cable up . . . woah. :love:

Under $1000 for everything.

~Boar

Very interesting read. Doesn't make me feel better about the new sharp LCD we bought a few months ago, but interesting none the less.

We went with the sharp based on cost vs. picture quality in the store. Thats hard to do in the store, because generally they are splitting the signal so many ways the picture quality sucks right from the get go. Aside from that I doubt anyone there knows how to adjust the settings properly anyways...

The other reason we went with LCD was because of weight and glare issues. Plasma is bit heavier and has a glass screen which in direct sunlight can make it hard to see. Who puts their TV in direct sunlight you ask? We do. On nice days/nights we bring the TV onto the back patio to enjoy a beverage or two (plus a cigar as well ;) ) so this was a big concern for us.

We planned on getting a wall mount outside for it, but it can't be left out and we have to find a way not only to hide the bracket when its not in use, but to be able to easily switch it from wall mount to free standing. Still in the works but we aren't quite there yet hehe.

Having both Plasma and LCD, My plasma picture is much better . The plasma is 720P and the LCD is 1080P, I can tell no difference in picture quality.

"blatant thread jack"

RDJ,

Your avatar would not happen to be Dooley by chance ?

Cparker

The name in the picture properties is Thompson Dooley.

Having both Plasma and LCD, My plasma picture is much better . The plasma is 720P and the LCD is 1080P, I can tell no difference in picture quality.

DePasta...I'm confused. If your picture quality is better with plasma, then how can you tell no difference in picture quality? lol

Or do you mean that theres no difference between 720p plasma and 1080p lcd, but since the plasma is 720, it must be much better?